Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-15, 11:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Alien 5 (D: Blomkamp) S: Weaver

The big issue for me is that the chestburster comes out as a fully formed xenomorph. It's slightly less annoying in the assembly cut when the alien gestates inside an ox, versus in the theatrical cut where the xenomorph bursts out fully formed from a dog that is about the same size. That's just fucking lazy.

Also, in regards to Resurrection, I think it would have been received a lot better if the hybrid had any aspects of the xenomorph at all. As it is, the hybrid looks like a reject from an entirely different movie. It should have looked like a traditional xenomorph, but walked upright, no tail, and had a skull-like face with eyes. And they should have gotten Giger to design it.
Old 03-03-15, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Where the hell did the egg come from? The queen tore herself loose from her egg sack when she chased after Ripley, and it's preposterous to assume she just happened to grab an egg to take with her, just in case she got a chance to infect someone later on.
Eggs. Ripley and the dog/ox were infected.
Old 03-03-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Technically, Alien3 is a competantly made film. But it's a horrible Alien film.
Old 03-03-15, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The big issue for me is that the chestburster comes out as a fully formed xenomorph. It's slightly less annoying in the assembly cut when the alien gestates inside an ox, versus in the theatrical cut where the xenomorph bursts out fully formed from a dog that is about the same size. That's just fucking lazy.

Also, in regards to Resurrection, I think it would have been received a lot better if the hybrid had any aspects of the xenomorph at all. As it is, the hybrid looks like a reject from an entirely different movie. It should have looked like a traditional xenomorph, but walked upright, no tail, and had a skull-like face with eyes. And they should have gotten Giger to design it.
Although I agree the hybrid looked all kinds of wrong, it could have been worse. They could have used the creature that Joss Whedon suggested in his script. That had zero traits of both a xenomorph or a human.
Old 03-03-15, 03:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Technically, Alien3 is a competantly made film.
No, it's not even that. I do enjoy it. But no.
Old 03-03-15, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Where the hell did the egg come from? The queen tore herself loose from her egg sack when she chased after Ripley, and it's preposterous to assume she just happened to grab an egg to take with her, just in case she got a chance to infect someone later on. Even if she did, and even if Ripley didn't give the dropship a thorough decontamination before going into hypersleep, all the eggs we've seen are motion sensitive -- they don't open unless there's a potential host nearby. It makes no sense for an egg to release a facehugger on a spaceship where everyone's in hypersleep -- how would it know it's not in some deserted derelict a la the Space Jockey's ship from the first film?
I'll tolerate the Queen still having and egg in her body and dumping it on the ship before her fight with Ripley, but I've never been able to get around them going into hyper sleep without discovering it. I would have had the computer examine every inch of the damn ship.
Old 03-03-15, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The dog alien that bursted out of the dog was small at first but it actually ate, so it got bigger faster.

That rottweiler it bursted out of was huge.
Old 03-03-15, 04:12 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Eggs. Ripley and the dog/ox were infected.
He was asking where the eggs came from.

A3 is a good A L I E N film. Not a good Aliens film. But a followup showing Ripley cooking Tewt eggs and pancakes would not be a good film. Tewt running around yelling Ahhhhfirmative isn't important to the Alien legacy.

A5 doesn't need Ripley in it.
Old 03-03-15, 04:35 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The dog alien that bursted out of the dog was small at first but it actually ate, so it got bigger faster.

That rottweiler it bursted out of was huge.
The size ratio was still way off. Look at the size of the chestbursters that came out of humans. Those aren't even as long as our forearms. So a rottweiler has a creature in it that's half its total size? More than half? Where'd the rest of the dog go?
Old 03-03-15, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The size ratio was still way off. Look at the size of the chestbursters that came out of humans. Those aren't even as long as our forearms. So a rottweiler has a creature in it that's half its total size? More than half? Where'd the rest of the dog go?

Forced perspective?
Old 03-03-15, 05:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
He was asking where the eggs came from.

A3 is a good A L I E N film. Not a good Aliens film. But a followup showing Ripley cooking Tewt eggs and pancakes would not be a good film. Tewt running around yelling Ahhhhfirmative isn't important to the Alien legacy.

A5 doesn't need Ripley in it.
I've seen you do this before... wtf is up with the Tewt?
Old 03-03-15, 06:37 PM
Banned by request

Forced perspective?
I watched the assembly cut chestburster scene and the theatrical cut chestburster scene right afterwards. It's that way because the xenomorph was meant to come out of an ox. They used the same footage of the alien in both cuts. The only difference were the animals it came out of, and the shot of the alien retreating (which in the assembly cut is a CG alien running off, and in the theatrical is a backwards POV where we never see the alien).
Old 03-03-15, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I've seen you do this before... wtf is up with the Tewt?
My nickname for Newt.

"Nobody calls me Tewt, except for Ripley."
Old 03-03-15, 07:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Old 03-03-15, 07:07 PM
Banned

.-..
---
.-..
Old 03-03-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't the implication that the xenomorph partially takes on the characteristics of whatever host the facehugger impregnates? Hence the quadruped creature in the third film and the half Predator-half-Alien creature in AVP-R?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-04-15 at 08:17 AM.
Old 03-04-15, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
Isn't the implication that the xenomorph partially takes on the characteristics of whatever host the face hugged impregnates? Hence the quadruped creature in the third film and the half Predator-half-Alien creature in AVP-R?
I think so, yeah.

In the Colonial Marines comic book series (which isn't, to my knowledge, canon) there are aquatic xenomorphs which resemble dolphins. It makes a certain amount of sense that the paraditic, space-faring species would take on the characteristics of their hosts.
Old 03-04-15, 02:18 AM
Banned by request

That would explain why the adult is quadrupedal, but not why the chestburster comes out as a smaller version of the adult.
Old 03-04-15, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Where the hell did the egg come from?
Forgot about that. Even when I first watched movie as a kid I thought "how did an egg get into the ship?"

It should have looked like a traditional xenomorph, but walked upright, no tail, and had a skull-like face with eyes. And they should have gotten Giger to design it.
Giger has one alien design where its standing upright, has large black ovals where eyes would be, and no tail. Looks somewhat similar to the Syngenor design. That would have been a good way to go.

Still would have had the fan-fic vibe to it. Why start experimenting with xenomorph hybrids when the films hadn't yet established what exactly the xenomorphs were. A species, a bio-weapon, a disease...?

I wondered about that after seeing Alien 3. It looks like the dog alien eats its victims, but according to ALIEN, it grew at a rapid rate without eating anything. Ashe described it as the perfect killing machine, something that can survive in any environment, the ultimate survivor. So with that I assumed that it only killed to ensure its survival and dominance in its new environment.
If it was seen eating, then that's seems like just one more example of straying from what was established in the first film.
Old 03-04-15, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That would explain why the adult is quadrupedal, but not why the chestburster comes out as a smaller version of the adult.
Since it was originally supposed to come out of an ox, maybe the larger the host animal, the more formed the xenomorph is when it erupts from the host?
Old 03-04-15, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
I wondered about that after seeing Alien 3. It looks like the dog alien eats its victims, but according to ALIEN, it grew at a rapid rate without eating anything. Ashe described it as the perfect killing machine, something that can survive in any environment, the ultimate survivor. So with that I assumed that it only killed to ensure its survival and dominance in its new environment.
If it was seen eating, then that's seems like just one more example of straying from what was established in the first film.
That's one of the biggest science errors in the original film, that the xenomorph grows from something the size of a ferret to something larger than a man in what seems like a few hours and without eating anything. Even if it did eat (and we can assume there wasn't a lot of food on the Nostromo since the crew was kept in hibernation), then it would still take time to metabolize the food into mass. As it stands, the thing violates one of the fundamental principles of physics.
Old 03-04-15, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Maybe it raided the food & water supply of the Nostromo and gobbled up hundreds of pounds of it.

Or maybe it ate a huge piece of furniture

Or maybe it consumes gasses for food

Or maybe...
Old 03-04-15, 04:25 PM
Banned

As each film takes more mystery away from the xenos, the more boring the xenos become.
Old 03-04-15, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
As each film takes more mystery away from the xenos, the more boring the xenos become.
Hey they're people just like you and me.

Old 03-04-15, 05:44 PM
Banned

Show mommy how the xenos eat.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.