Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

James Cameron likes Terminator 3?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 01:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm quoting Dark Horizons who quoted someone who heard Cameron say this on BBC, so this being the internet, who knows if it's real. But here's what was reported:

James Cameron recently talked with BBC1 and revealed he's very happy with how Terminator 3 ended up: "In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it". If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structrued it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it".

This isn't a man whose going to whitewash his opinion either, take for example his reaction to "Alien 3" - "Hated it. Simple as that. I hated what they did.... I couldn't stand Alien 3 - how they could just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in aliens, and the correlation between mother and daughter. It stunk, but hopefully I'll get a chance to rectify all that". You mean the talk about him being tied to "Alien 5" is true? "To an extent. yes. We're looking at doing another one. Something similiar to what we did with Aliens. A bunch of great characters, and of course Sigourney. I've even discussed the possibility of putting him [Arnold Schwarzenegger] into the Alien movie".
Old 07-07-03, 03:33 PM

Why wouldn't he like it? It's a good movie starring one of his good pals.
Old 07-07-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Because there are people out there claiming that T3 sucks simply because it wasn't done by King of the World Cameron.

If he DOES like it, maybe some people will reevaluate their opinions on the film, since they seem to think that JC is the end all be all of Terminator quality.
Old 07-07-03, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Of course he likes it I'm sure he's recieving a royalty or some kind of compensation. He's not going to talk s*** on it for at least ten years.
Old 07-07-03, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
Of course he likes it I'm sure he's recieving a royalty or some kind of compensation. He's not going to talk s*** on it for at least ten years.
I doubt he is receiving anything. He didn't own any rights to the film at all, hence his complete lack of involvement.
Old 07-07-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No he is not receiving any money..he sold all the rights a few years ago.
Old 07-07-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If true, I think we have to give JC a little credit for being honest instead of self-serving. It would be very easy for him to bash the film. For him to say that even though part of him wanted the film to fail (which I think is natural and only human) yet he still liked it says a lot for the character of the man.

to Cameron for being a man about T3 instead of the mouse he could have been.
Old 07-07-03, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Started another thread to talk about the Alien 5 part of the story

Jason
Old 07-08-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Pants
Exactly. Cameron's comments may or may not reflect his true thoughts; at best they’re suspect.

Yikes--can't believe I'm agreeing w/ Pants on something. :-)
Old 07-08-03, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by audrey
Exactly. Cameron's comments may or may not reflect his true thoughts; at best they’re suspect.

Yikes--can't believe I'm agreeing w/ Pants on something. :-)
You're agreeing with him on something that is false. Cameron doesn't own the rights anymore. Mario Kassar and his partner does.
Old 07-08-03, 10:30 PM

The movie is quite good, so even if Cameron said he didn't like it, he may be lying.
Old 07-08-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Face/Off
You're agreeing with him on something that is false. Cameron doesn't own the rights anymore. Mario Kassar and his partner does.
Hmmm…in their review, United Press International mentioned in passing that Cameron is receiving royalties. So who knows….
Old 07-09-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally posted by audrey
Hmmm…in their review, United Press International mentioned in passing that Cameron is receiving royalties. So who knows….
I can't imagine what for. I believe the rights were owned equally by Mario Kassar and Gail Ann-Hurd. After he passed on directing, Cameron had no real say in the franchise and no money either. Not that he really needed it.
Old 07-09-03, 02:33 PM

I think people need to wake up and realize that Cameron isnt the only great director out there.
Old 07-09-03, 04:03 PM

Man! Talk about a no win scenario.

If the man would have hated the movie, he would have been called an old bastard for being jealous of his successor. Now that he admits to liking it, people call him a sell-out for profits he wont make.

Come on, I don't like Cameron's movies but the man has a right to his own opinions.

Next time, I hope for his sake that he'll just say : "I don't want to give no f***ing comments. Thank you!"
Old 07-09-03, 04:07 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

The best part of that interview is he says he hated Alien 3.
Old 07-09-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The deal with the Terminator rights was that it was half/owned by Gail Anne Hurd and Carolco. Carolco went bankrupt in the mid 90's because they financed some bombs, and Kassar/Vanja bought the rights from the bankruptcy court. The other half belonged to Hurd and she was bought out.
Old 07-10-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by nice_skis
Man! Talk about a no win scenario.

If the man would have hated the movie, he would have been called an old bastard for being jealous of his successor. Now that he admits to liking it, people call him a sell-out for profits he wont make.
I don't think people are calling him a sell-out. Some people here suppose he may have an ulterior motive for which I think others have proven wrong (or maybe exaggerated).

Although Cameron isn't one of the most prudent directors out there, he knows he can't just bash T3 just to make his movies look better. It sounds like Cameron had a great time watching the film as I did.

I don't feel that T3 is superior to T2 or T1. But it's good.

btw...I think Cameron IS an old bastard and perhaps a little-bitty jealous of what Mostow has done...but he's no sell-out....yet, anyway.
Old 07-10-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cameron likes it? Let him. I sure don't, and that's the opinion that matters to me.

If no-one likes my comment, well, then they can TALK TO THE HAND.

(Wow, a lot of T3 fans must be cracking up right now, since they LOVE films with that kind of dialogue!)