DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Why Can't Some Stand-Ups Comedians Make Good Films? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/302522-why-cant-some-stand-ups-comedians-make-good-films.html)

NCMojo 07-01-03 09:25 AM

Why Can't Some Stand-Ups Comedians Make Good Films?

Bob Newhart... Bill Cosby... Gary Shandling... Jon Stewart... Jerry Seinfeld... all great, great standup comics, and not a single good film by any of them in the mix. What happened? Why can't these amazingly funny guys translate their incredible comic timing and delivery to the big screen?

Giles 07-01-03 09:36 AM

because it seems like that the script writers aren't as funny as the comedians themselves.

rfduncan 07-01-03 09:44 AM

I enjoyed Bill Cosby in The Devil and Max Devlin.

Rypro 525 07-01-03 09:52 AM

Jon Stewart had a cameo in Jay and silent bob strike back.

LBPound 07-01-03 10:16 AM

I've never understood why Seinfeld's never done a movie. I mean, sure he was busy with the show for most of the year, but I'm sure he had to get a lot of offers, and he's a very funny guy. It's odd.

Anyway, I'll agree with rfduncan that the Cos was good in The Devil and Max Devlin. Very un-Cliff Huxtable a role, too. :)

Tim Allen's been part of a number of successful films, also.

Brain Stew 07-01-03 10:33 AM

Re: Why Can't Some Stand-Ups Comedians Make Good Films?

Originally posted by ncmojo
...Bill Cosby...
Ahem. What about Ghost Dad? I rest my case.

NCMojo 07-01-03 10:37 AM

Well, there are some standup comics who have done very well. Eddie Murphy and Richard Pryor come to mind. Didn't Jim Carrey start off as a stand-up comic? And yes, Tim Allen has done very well.

But some comics just can't seem to pick good material. Jon Stewart comes to mind. Hillarious guy, very bright, very clean cut -- horrible, horrible movies. Half Baked, Death to Smoochy, several cameos (as in J&SBSB)... but no good films.

I take it back -- he was brilliant in Elmopalooza.

http://ia.imdb.com/media/imdb/01/I/63/52/81m.jpg

j123vt_99 07-01-03 11:28 AM

Thought cosby was good in Mother, Jugs & Speed (1976)..

What about the SNL guys?

Adam Sandler
Dan Akroyd
Steve Martin
Bill Murray
Blueshi

Spooky 07-01-03 11:33 AM

Because Stand Up comedy isn't acting...acting is a whole other skill all together. Some people (Bill Cosby, Tim Allen) can act, some people (Jerry Seinfeld) can't. The ability to be funny has nothing to do with your acting ability...case in point, Seinfeld - a great TV show, but Jerry is a horrible actor...you can see him biting his lip and smirking sometimes on the show trying to stay in character.

Jackskeleton 07-01-03 11:38 AM

Stand up comics do one type of film right... stand up comedy. I would love to own Eddie Murphey's RAW or Delierious. Robin William live on broadway. Hell, even Jerry's COMEDIAN was good stuff.

the aftermath 07-01-03 11:38 AM

Still waiting for Chris Rock to star in a good movie (New Jack City doesnt count although he was good in it).

spainlinx0 07-01-03 12:38 PM

I'm sorry did someone say Half-Baked was a bad movie? Take it back immediately.

DodgingCars 07-01-03 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Jon Stewart had a cameo in Jay and silent bob strike back.
He was in Playing By Heart, which was a good movie.

Jay Mohr has been in some good movies. Go being one of them.

Groucho 07-01-03 02:13 PM

I was also going to mention Playing By Heart, although its a dramatic role for Stewart. Highly underrated film.

das Monkey 07-01-03 02:16 PM

Two completely different skills. While stand-up comedians are often funny in general, their act is a result of countless hours of trial and error, honing a routine to perfection based on audience response. Making a film is another world entirely, and a lot depends on the director and editor. Some can do both very well, but it shouldn't be expected.

das

das Monkey 07-01-03 02:18 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth LBPound •<HR SIZE=1>I've never understood why Seinfeld's never done a movie. I mean, sure he was busy with the show for most of the year, but I'm sure he had to get a lot of offers, and he's a very funny guy. It's odd.<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>

He's often stated publically that stand-up is what he wants to do with his life. He loves the "life" that comes with it and doesn't particularly want to do much of anything else.

das

cheapskate 07-01-03 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Why Can't Some Stand-Ups Comedians Make Good Films?

Originally posted by Brain Stew
Ahem. What about Ghost Dad? I rest my case.
I bet you had a tough time choosing between this and Leonard Part 6... :D

jaeufraser 07-01-03 08:07 PM

Like said before, stand up is not acting. Just because you can be funny as hell on the stage doesn't mean you can be funny when in the confines of a plot and a specific character. Chris Rock is another example...I dig his stand up, but I hate his movies. He can't act. He is...Chris Rock. Just because he can spout off funny lines and be charasmatic on stage doesn't mean he can maintain a character.

Drexl 07-01-03 08:46 PM

Garry Shandling was in Hurly Burly, which wasn't bad.

Numanoid 07-01-03 09:13 PM

Originally posted by Drexl
Garry Shandling was in Hurly Burly, which wasn't bad.
I also really quite like What Planet Are You From?

chowderhead 07-01-03 11:25 PM

Many of the above mentioned comedians have so-called made for "radio faces" . I mean Ray Romano and Jerry Seinfeld do not neccessarily have "leading men" faces. I think coming from a sitcom situation where they are the lead for 22 minutes, it is hard for the actor/actor's ego to play the supporting actor or the sidekick. If they do select a project in which they are the lead, there is very little second chances if they don't suceed i.e. hard to make the jump from tv to movies.
Plus, I think most people either cannot see Jerry Seinfeld as anything else but the persona he was in Seinfeld or they won't watch a 1 1/2 to 2 hour movie when a 30 minute equivalent sitcom will do.

Lastly, Jon Stewart was funny in Playing by Heart - a truly underrated movie with a great esemble cast.