Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-03, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, Happy Canada Day!!!!

I just saw TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES. Now, ever since I heard that Cameron wasn't going to be involved, I've been skeptical. T2: Judgement Day is one of those movies that I hold really dear to my heart. My dad went and saw it, got home and said to me "Matthew, come with me...you have to see this movie." We rushed out, I sat down, the lights dimmed and a beast was unleashed. I was eleven, and of course, the movie blew me ****ing away... it was one of the films that in addition to of course, Spielberg, made me want to make movies... I'm a student filmmaker, and part of the reason I've pursued the movies with such intensity and passion was because of movies like Terminator 2..

It had the perfect blend of action, characters, humour etc. William Wisher and James Cameron wrote a script that just oozed with pure AWESOMENESS... So it was with great hesitation that I looked forward to Terminator 3. Upon hearing that Jonathon Mostow had been picked to direct, my spirits picked up.... "Breakdown" was really good and "U-571" was decent enough. I begged my managers at work to screen T3 for me tonight, and thank god, they obliged.

Maybe it was because the anticipation was high, or maybe it was nostalgia creeping up on me, but as the lights dimmed I started to squirm with glee...just like that fateful night 12 years ago...and luckily TERMINATOR 3 ****ING RULED. IT TOTALLY RULED. Sure, it's almost impossible to recapture the spark of T2, with it's sleek and new F/X...but this movie sure takes you on one fun and exciting ride. I can see the box office writeups right now:

"Move over Mrs. Philippe er...is that... uh, yeah, you... Mrs. Peanut Butter Cup! Your blonde ambition is about to get terminated...Charlie's Angels? Could you please stand over here...the Terminatrix will be KICKING YOUR ASS AND TAKING NAMES all summer long. All other box office contenders please step in this line, Arnold will be over shortly to SODOMIZE you."

The movie starts with a bang and never lets up, adrenaline will be pumping through your veins like a heroine junkie. Kristanna Loken, who has looked very hot on magazine covers is sexier than all hell in this flick...you want her to terminate you...she RULES and I know that people are going to wear out their T3 dvds come November 18 by pausing her first scene, frame by framing it, looking for any slight hint of poontang or nips...not to mention her fabulous ass. Arnold turns in a great performance, doing his role with his usual charisma. Claire Danes was less annyoing than I thought she'd be and Nick Stahl has been primed to explode for years, and this movie will FINALLY do it for this guy.

I don't want to get into much plot detail, but if you like action movies or are a fan of the series, YOU HAVE TO SEE THIS MOVIE. My only major complaint is that I wanted more...I didn't want the movie to end...I wanted it to go on and on...I wish they had shot T3 back to back with T4.... I need to see T4 right ****ing now.... NOW!!!! Mostow did a great job and didn't disappoint me, I hope they get him for Terminator 4. Sure it's not as groundbreaking or totally encompassing as T2: Judgement Day, but it is a very solid addition to the series and really makes you want to see more... this movie better break the box office bank...I can't wait to see it again tomorrow night...

MATT
Old 07-01-03, 02:11 AM

Im glad to hear you like it. And this is yet another postive review of T3. Im seeing it tomorrow night hopefully at a sneak preview. I just hope it does pretty good at the box office because if it doesnt everyone will be like "oh it bombed at the box office, so it sucked!" I hate people that judge a movie by its profit.
Old 07-01-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must say that before reading a spoiler, I was not really interested in watching this at all. After the spoiler I really am looking forward to it

why?

Spoiler:
They didn't cop out and have arnold save the day again or stop the future. they get to the point that the future can't be changed. the only thing that can be altered is the path to whatever it is that will happen. And it makes sense. from the get go John wasnt sending the terminator back to prevent what was going to happen.. but just to make sure that john stays alive. It was the choices of the characters in the second to take that postponed what was eventually going to happen. Great take on this. that the future is already written, just need to find your way there
Old 07-01-03, 01:51 PM

I was interested in seeing the movie just because it was another Terminator film, but was always prepared for it to be cheesy and bad. But after seeing the latest trailer before Matrix Revolutions, the movie looked really good and had somewhat of a different story than I pictured. I definitely am looking forward to seeing it.
Old 07-01-03, 02:09 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
This thread makes me want to see this even more than I already did - and it was already my most anticipated summer movie.

Can't wait!
Old 07-01-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got tix for tomorrow even though its at lowes valley centre which is really crappy.
Old 07-01-03, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It actually starts showing at 8pm tonight over here in the Bay Area.
Old 07-01-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I'm f**k** psyched!

The female terminator thing is cool.

I saw her on Letterman and she's got it going on.

Hope the movie's good.
Old 07-01-03, 06:21 PM

That review is funny. Like you're doing schtick.

Good times.
Old 07-01-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
It actually starts showing at 8pm tonight over here in the Bay Area.
Was going to go tomorrow night, but I am going to go tonight instead.
Old 07-01-03, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah I checked the times...some theatres by me have like 6 shows tonight, all after 8PM.
Old 07-01-03, 09:30 PM
Roy
Cool New Member

Just saw it

Just saw it - absolutely off the hook! Was a little worried going in. Highly, highly recommend it.
Old 07-01-03, 10:07 PM

I was looking forward to it before but after reading the reviews from people I just can't wait till tomorrow evening to see it. I'll being getting away from the wife and kid for an evening and going to my favorite theater to watch Arnie destroy stuff with the man, my Pop, that allowed me to watch the original Terminator when I was 7, I think, and T2 when I was 14.
Old 07-01-03, 10:38 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got back from T3.... what a relief. While it doesn't reach T2 levels (an impossible goal anyway), it luckily doesn't crap on the Terminator legacy. It manages to continue the story in a believable way, without being too redundant. I'm sure many will disagree, but I enjoyed the Arnie/TX final confrontation much more than any of Reloaded's fight scenes. The FX work is top notch. Nick Stahl gives a good performance, although it takes awhile to get used to his face after years of Eddie in T2. Claire Danes is a good fit, she has the same quality in this film that Linda Hamilton had in the first film. Kristanna Loken.... gorgeous.... she plays the role differently than Arnie, but that's the point I think. Just like Robert Patrick played the T-1000 different than Arnie. And Arnie... well, he IS looking a bit "too old for this ******". The filmmakers wisely find ways around this, but it's still pretty noticeable sometimes. I actually think his character was the weakest written of the main four... he just doesn't have the same menace this time. Other than that, I had only three minor gripes about the movie. One, they overdo the humor at times. Some is pretty damn funny, but there gets to be a point where it's so self-referential you think you're watching Scream 4. Two, the score doesn't use the familiar Terminator theme enough. Instead we get typical thriller music. And finally, the most minor of the gripes,
Spoiler:
when the terminators "appear" in our time, they use a more high tech visual effect that is different than the effect used in the past two films
. But these can be forgiven because the story ends up strong and consistent with the storyline of the past two films, the action thrills, and most importantly, it didn't suck.
Old 07-01-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got back from the flick and really loved it....in my opinion the first movie this summer (maybe year) that really delivered the goods on all levels.

It doesn't live up to T2, but really asking it to reach those levels ultimately sets the movie up for failure. However, this movie is a worthy follow-up to T3 and does logically continue the story of Jon Connor.

Gripes, of course, its not perfect. The score really is bad or non-existant. The action plays well, but I can imagine how it would it would have played with a great score.
The beginning of the film plays a little too jokey and almost as a parody of T2, but it quickly gets out of that mode and moves onto the good stuff.

And an awesome ending!

Throuroughly pleased, I'll be watching it a few more times.
Old 07-01-03, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I missed the screenings tonight. But then again, I was getting hired for a job, so what were my options?

Looking at rottentomatoes, this movie seems to be clicking well with the fanboys and people who really count, so to it for doing that. However, it is barely registering as fresh with mainstream critics, and they are who people listen to more.
I was watching the original Terminator last night, and to be honest, the acting and script for that movie was really bad. The story was nice, but some of the words were murder to listen to.
Old 07-01-03, 11:06 PM
Cool New Member

I just got back from seeing T3 myself.....and maybe it was because I went in with low expectations or so much acceptance it would just suck....but It is far and away the best movie I have seen all summer. It maybe the best summer movie so far this decade for me. Other people can summarize it more but I will say this for it....
It did something the Matrix: Reloaded, and Star Wars 2:AOTC couldn't do with their movie franchises......
It made me want to see another Installment in the Terminator Legacy.
Old 07-01-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD

I was watching the original Terminator last night, and to be honest, the acting and script for that movie was really bad. The story was nice, but some of the words were murder to listen to.
"I came accross time for you, Sarah.-Reese I always laugh at that line even though its supposed to be dead serious and not cheesy.
Old 07-01-03, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first 20 minutes were quite campy and had me worried. After that, it was absolutely great. It had everything I could ask for...non-stop action, a few one liners, great effects, and a suprisingly good continuation of the story. I can't wait to see it again.
Old 07-02-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm really glad most people in here are liking it... I got to see it again tonight and without a doubt, it's my favourite movie so far this summer...which of course puts it in the running for favourite movie so far this year (because most of the "meaningful" pics don't come out until november/december)...

MATT
Old 07-02-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woohoo! Went in with low expectations and came out pleased, especially with the ending... it actually makes me hopeful for a T4...
Old 07-02-03, 12:27 AM

I'll admit I was worried about the whole Terminatrix thing, but I really enjoyed T3. Just better not be another 12 years before T4!
Old 07-02-03, 12:30 AM

Great action flick. IMHO, leaner and meaner than T2. Less preachy and cute compared to T2. Nice ending. Excellent FX and sound. Had the right balance of humour. Highly recommended.
Old 07-02-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought T3 was at its best when the story was progressing and the effects were put on hold. I found Reloaded at its best when the effects were being shown off and the story was put on hold.

So what's my opinion? I would have loved to have more story and less action.
Old 07-02-03, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Loved it!!!

A great action movie.....loved all of it except for the last five
minutes of the film.

It was easily the rowdiest and most violent movie in a while. Heads really rolled in this one.

Highly recommended.

***1/2 out of ****

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.