Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-03, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes, spoilers

When this movie started, I thought, "what a load of crap." It looked really low budget, especially with Pulaski (the guy's not a bad actor, but whenever I see him I have to say, "Pulaski") playing the Air Force guy. And so I stayed disappointed throughout the movie: crane chase (yawn); Sarah Connor gets leukemia (snicker); then we find out that this version of the T actually kills John, so I think that's cool, and I don't feel so bad about the movie any more. Then the big battle in the men's room and "great!!!" the movie finally picks up in the final act. The final realization by the John and Kate that the time-travel paradox means the world must be destroyed and the machines must rise up, is, frankly, exciting. I'm glad they used the, "I wouldn't be here unless past events happened to bring me here" device--or as it's explained in The Time Machine, the terminator could not exist unless the machines took over the world, therefore, you cannot stop the machines taking over because, here's Arnold. The second you see Arnold, it's too late to stop the war. And finally, the explanation that SkyNet was lying dormant on a distributed network was cool because they couldn't have used that explanation 10 years ago, so it sort of explained why it took so long to make the sequel.......
Old 07-04-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I really liked Terminator 3. They played the humor up a bit more than in the first two, but it was nice that it wasn't taking itself too seriously (like some other movies out now, like Hulk). It was fun. While it probably wasn't as good of a film as Terminator 2, I can definitely say that I'll be rewatching it more.

Originally posted by Numanoid
It had that old '70s style end of the world feeling about it (hell, I thought they walked into the subway from Beneath The Planet Of The Apes when they reached Crystal Peak).
LOL, it's funny you said that, because the exact same thing occurred to me. I leaned over and said to my friend, "They should find a New York subway line and the Statue of Liberty in there."
Old 07-04-03, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by al_bundy
I thought that we found out that the humans won in the first one? When Michael Biehn was being interrogated in the police station he said that they had breached Skynet's perimiter and it was only a matter of time before they destroyed it.
well if you follow the plot of t1 and t2 this is true, but in t3 they go on to say (dont know if this is a spoiler but will put on tags anyway)
Spoiler:
skynet is nothing, its a computer program that takes over every system, there is no mainframe. so it really doesnt make sense how they can destroy it, they would have to destroy even defense system computer in the world.
i thought the plot was average at best, the action saved this movie big time. the chase scene and fight scenes were great but the story was awful and didnt compare to the plots of t1 or t2. it seemed more of a comedy/action flick then a movie that makes you think about what the future holds which is what the first 2 movies did. anyway i liked it but it gave me the same feeling as reloaded, over hyped and could have been better if some thought was actually put into it instead of great action scenes.

Last edited by jpolce; 07-04-03 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-04-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
I really liked Terminator 3. They played the humor up a bit more than in the first two, but it was nice that it wasn't taking itself too seriously (like some other movies out now, like Hulk). It was fun. While it probably wasn't as good of a film as Terminator 2, I can definitely say that I'll be rewatching it more.

Same here. I don't think it was as good as the first 2, but I think it is a movie that can certainly stand on its own. Arnold is still great playing the role he was made for. I thought the T-X was great as well.
Old 07-04-03, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Just got back from seeing it and I liked it!
Old 07-04-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Earlior this summer I was saying The Hulk and M:R was going to be the best films of the summer and that T3 would suck bad and bomb and ruin the series,but boy was I wrong,never judge a book by its cover,weird summer for movies.
Old 07-04-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVDHO
Earlior this summer I was saying The Hulk and M:R was going to be the best films of the summer and that T3 would suck bad and bomb and ruin the series,but boy was I wrong,never judge a book by its cover,weird summer for movies.
A lot of people probably thought that with the hype involved with those movies. I thought so too. But T3 looks like the summer's best movie so far.
Old 07-04-03, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by clemente
Just got back from the flick and really loved it....in my opinion the first movie this summer (maybe year) that really delivered the goods on all levels.

It doesn't live up to T2, but really asking it to reach those levels ultimately sets the movie up for failure. However, this movie is a worthy follow-up to T3 and does logically continue the story of Jon Connor.

Gripes, of course, its not perfect. The score really is bad or non-existant. The action plays well, but I can imagine how it would it would have played with a great score.
The beginning of the film plays a little too jokey and almost as a parody of T2, but it quickly gets out of that mode and moves onto the good stuff.

And an awesome ending!

Throuroughly pleased, I'll be watching it a few more times.
You summed up my exact feelings. T2 is a rare PERFECT movie to me, IMO there are only 12 perfect movies that I have ever seen in my life. But this year my faith in movies has been taken away, & this movie provided 2 things that I was worried it wouldn't achieve. 1: It was the first uber-hyped movie all year that delivered & 2: it didn't crap on the Terminator franchise. I had such a grin on my face for most of the movie, it was awesome.
Old 07-04-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Spoiler post.

Maybe this was addressed, but I don't want to sort through seven pages of posts. Arnold says that John Connor leads the humans to victory against the machines. Yet, Arnold is the one that killed him. If John Connor led the resistance to victory, how could he have been killed by a machine? And how the Hell would John, a military genius, allow a terminator to get that close to him to begin with? I didn't care for this movie; the sequence of events was borrowed heavily from T2, and this one ended on a downer with some boring philosophy thrown in. The first chase was fun to watch, though.
Old 07-04-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by evitagen
Spoiler post.

Maybe this was addressed, but I don't want to sort through seven pages of posts. Arnold says that John Connor leads the humans to victory against the machines. Yet, Arnold is the one that killed him. If John Connor led the resistance to victory, how could he have been killed by a machine? And how the Hell would John, a military genius, allow a terminator to get that close to him to begin with? I didn't care for this movie; the sequence of events was borrowed heavily from T2, and this one ended on a downer with some boring philosophy thrown in. The first chase was fun to watch, though.

Leading the humans to victory does not necessarily imply that every machine was destroyed. My guess is that at the point where it was apparent that humans would win the war, the machines sent various Terminators back in time to try to alter the past and ensure their ultimate victory.

Then again, I try not to think too hard about it.
Old 07-04-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After first seeing the lame trailer during the Superbowl, I had really low expectations as it made the film look cheesy and basically just a desperate career lifeline for Arnold to grab onto. Still, I knew even then, that I would definitely give it a shot anyway, just off the legacy of it's predecessors. Then the next wave of trailers appeared and made it look a lot more interesting, so I was a little more psyched as opening day approached. After seeing it twice already, I was shocked at how great this one was! Both T1 & T2 are among my all time faves and this one ranks right up there with them. Not quite as good as 2, but equal to 1. It was funny, action-packed and even had some emotional moments. The days where this movie could've taken itself seriously have long passed, and it knows it can wink at itself throughout, which I really enjoyed.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW!!!

Things I liked:
- crane chase scene: thought it would be a while before the Matrix Reloaded scene would be topped. I was wrong. Of course I was wondering how fast a crane like that could really go, but I guess you shouldn't think too hard about things like that
- as mentioned before, nice to see the killing of kids taboo broken (not that I'm condoning it, but I hated the fact that kids were always exempt from violence in the movies. Seemed unrealistic.)
- Arnold: I thought he did an excellent job and was in line with his previous Terminator performances. He looked great too, though I heard there was some digital manipulation done to "youngen" him up a little
- TX: besides being hot as hell, it was great seeing her pop up unscathed, hair perfectly coiffed after every ass kicking
- Arnie's clothes aquisition scene was hilarious. "Talk to the Hand"
- Dr. Soberman's cameo
- TX/T100 bathroom battle: lots of destruction here. I always wanted to see someone get roundhouse smashed with a urinal
- the helicopter crashes: not to be outdone by a chick, Arnie crashes into the cave with a bigger helicopter
- the ultimate resolution: no cop-out happy ending

Things I didn't like:

- shaky start to the movie: never been crazy about voiceovers and the John Connor battle rally scene looked a little cheesy
- entry spheres: I wish they would've stuck with the plain globes from T2. Wasn't crazy about the overly showy mirror balls here
- scene where the flying sentinel attacks John and Kate in the hallway: if the thing is stupid enough to lose track of them because they ducked down and then succumbed to a few rounds of machine gun fire, the machines don't deserve to win. You'd think Skynet would put some of their terminator technology into their flying machines.
- "Just die you bitch!!!!": enough said
- I wish they would have somehow expanded a little more on the bad Arnie concept, instead of just have him grappling with himself. That would've been really cool!
- The TX screaming at the end: She barely opened her mouth through the whole movie, and it just felt out of place here, especially since they're supposed to be emotionless
- I missed Brad Fiedel

To sum up, I loved the flick and am shocked as hell that I ended up enjoying this a lot more than Reloaded. Glad to see Arnie make a comeback after all the subpar flicks he's been in the past few years.

Last edited by matome; 07-04-03 at 06:41 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 05:46 PM

Probably one of the few on this board, but I don't think this one lived up to the first. The (original) Terminator is the best of the series. I feel that it has more tension and a better story overall. I fell that T3 is the second best and T2 finishes in a distant third. I don't know why, but I feel that Robert Patrick just looking like a d***head is the only awesome/stunning part of T2.
Old 07-04-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This has to be one of the best action flicks ever. I couldn't believe how great this movie was. There was never a dull moment and story came off without a hitch. I definitely recommend you go see this movie as you will not be disappointed.
Old 07-04-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Neeb

Which kind of says 'F--- you' to T2. T2 believed that you could decide your own fate and make your own destiny. But T3 implies that we have no choice. That it is all predestined and that fighting fate is pointless.
That was what bothered me the most about this film. It just makes a point of completely reversing one of the primary mantras of the series before it. And basically they did it because it allows them to continue making movies (ie, money). F--- that.

Otherwise, I found it very enjoyable. The washroom fight was crazy! Definitely the best "super-powered" fight that I've ever seen on film.
Old 07-04-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally posted by Spooky
Terminator take place in 1984...John Connor was born in late 1984.
Terminator 2 takes place in late 1994 (NOT 1991) - John Connor is 10.
In 1997 the SPOILER concerning Sarah Connor that we find out about in T3 happens.
Late 2004 = The events of T3, John Connor is 20 years old.
As noted in T3 John Conner was in 8th grade during T2. I don't think there are too many ten year old 8th graders. With that said I still think this is a good movie and the ending allows there to be a T4 even if Arnold is too old or doesn't want to do another one.
Old 07-04-03, 08:30 PM

I think they can queeze three move movies out of this series

1) Showing the Rise of John Connor ending with Arnold and Reese being sent back

2)More future fighting showing the creation of the T-1000 ending with Arnold and T-1000

3)Showing the humans winning pretty good
Spoiler:
Having John Conner get assasinated
ending with the TX and Arnolg going back

Of course this is sort of falls apart seeing as Arnold is getting old and probably wouldnt do all of these movies, Unless they film them all in row like LOTR
Old 07-04-03, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I just got back and loved it. It is by far the best movie I have seen this summer and I think it will have legs with good word of mouth. I want to go see it again.
Old 07-04-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To post on topic first: I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. Had a great time. However, I did find it unnecessary, as I felt that T2 had wrapped it all up. Still, had a great time, and now feel like that it's too open ended, and we need a T4. Now, to stray off topic (kinda):

Originally posted by VermillionZ
Fanboys = simple minded fools that think anything with their favorite actors, story, movie title, whatever is goodness.
Too many people keep telling me this was a great movie..
I think my brain shut off after trying to follow a half ass story and just staired at the screen watching the sex T-X and all the puns.
Well, everyone has their own definition of what a fan-boy is. One definition I found fits what you said "A person who loves something unquestionably."

Yet another definition might fit with what Mad Dawg was saying (simply change the word "programmer" here with director/actor whatever):

"Fan-boy: A person with devout love for a programmer (hence forth referred to as "The FanGod" and/or The FanGod's creation despite the fact that it is ****. Common behaviors of the average fanboy:

1) Fanboys can often be found "gorging" on one of The FanGod's appendages.
2) Fanboys will immediately assume everything The FanGod speaks is truth, no matter how absurd/irrational it is.
3) Fanboys will always disapprove of any suggestions pertaining to the modification of The FanGod's creation. This rule can be reversed, however, should rule 2 come into play."

Like I said, everyone's got their own definition of what a fan-boy is.
Old 07-04-03, 10:44 PM
Retired

Saw this tonight. Loved it. I had pretty low expectations and came away very pleasantly surprised.

It's not as good as the 1st two, but it's a damn good action flick in it's own right.

I loved that it didn't have a cop out ending.
Old 07-04-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I must say that I was quite disappointed with this one. Even though it was much better than it might have been, it still could have and damn well should have been a lot better than it was. It just doesn't hold up well at all in comparison to the first two, though in feeling it is closer to the first film than it was to the second, IMHO. It felt like a big-budget B-movie. There were hardly any speaking parts of any substance in the film, and I didn't really care about any of the characters. It was missing the tone and imagination of the previous Jim Cameron efforts. It was sorely in need of Brad Fiedel themes. It felt a bit like X2 - just buildup to the next inevitable sequel which will hopefully finally get down to the real "war" that we all want to see. I guess I can kind of see how they can justify the subtitle of this sequel either ("Rise of the Machines"), but it wasn't really what I was expecting and hoping for at all. It feels like a big cop-out. It was too short and the story was kind of pointless and meaningless, just one big chase scene like they had in T2, but without any of the intruiging ideas and possibilites that that movie had, as well as a certain sense of purpose. But hey, at least the special effects were fairly well done (they just weren't anything revolutionary like T2). That's my two cents anyway....

Last edited by paratize; 07-04-03 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-04-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a good job they did. Arnold is looking good for his age.
Smaller, but good none the less. In a movie that deals with the
past and the future, and intermixing the two, your bound to
find a lot of "What-ifs" and "Yea-buts"

I hope this brings Arnold back to (at least near) the top again.
When his huge name came up on the big screen at the begining
of T3 it was like YES! (just like back in the late 80's early 90's)

There are a lot of questions floating around about Skynet and
how it could be destroyed...They could have attempted to destroy
Skynet but due to cyberspace, it would not have worked.
Clearly after all the Nukes, global cyberspace would be gone.
With the assembly lines and all, in the future, Skynet would have
to be localized somewhere.

The TX or whatever she was called was hoo Boy. all I can say is
H-O-T.

Overall:

Jason
Old 07-04-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh-yea, and I agree, the one thing this needed WAS the score
from the second one. This one wasn't terrible, but I thought more
than once, "Where's the Ta-da DA DA da?"

Jason
Old 07-04-03, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally posted by paratize
I must say that I was quite disappointed with this one. But hey, at least the special effects were fairly well done (they just weren't anything revolutionary like T2). That's my two cents anyway....

Paratize:

I couldn't agree with you more.

There was no need for ANOTHER Terminator movie, and now that I've seen this terrible movie, this film kinda brings the series down a bit.

Last edited by jeffkjoe; 07-04-03 at 11:37 PM.
Old 07-05-03, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by evitagen
Spoiler post.

John sent Reese back to 1984 earlier in the future war, he sent the T-101 later in the war. If you remember Kate sent the last one back to save them, and perhaps tell him how he will die.

He let the machine get so close to him because it was T-101 that killed him. He even states in the movie that the T-101 was the closest thing to a father that he ever had. If a robot that looked like your dad came near you would you blow it up?
Old 07-05-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
For the most part matome, I agree with you...

EXCEPT --
Both T1 & T2 are among my all time faves and this one ranks right up there with them. Not quite as good as 2, but equal to 1. It was funny, action-packed and even had some emotional moments. The days where this movie could've taken itself seriously have long passed, and it knows it can wink at itself throughout, which I really enjoyed.
I'd rank 'em in order of release..[with a big gap between 2 & 3. It was some of the things you mentioned, but I missed any sort of emotional moments...and you're right about the winking...there was TONS of that goin' on..[not necessarily a GOOD thing]..
Things I liked:
- crane chase scene: thought it would be a while before the Matrix Reloaded scene would be topped. I was wrong. Of course I was wondering how fast a crane like that could really go, but I guess you shouldn't think too hard about things like that
Perhaps I saw a different version then most posters in this thread did...this chase was far from exciting..in fact, I think i've seen it before in the 70s or 80s. Only then it took place on a fire engine. The hero [or villain, can't remember] was on the ladder as it was moving and smashing stuff. [Can't remember the name of the flick, though]

But to say it topped the MR scene!?!?!? Man is it a good thing we have freedom of opinion here in America.
Arnold: I thought he did an excellent job and was in line with his previous Terminator performances. He looked great too, though I heard there was some digital manipulation done to "youngen" him up a little
WAY too many one liners...but, you're right...I thought he looked great for his age [though you just destroyed that myth with your digital manipulation revelation ]
- TX: besides being hot as hell, it was great seeing her pop up unscathed, hair perfectly coiffed after every ass kicking
Ok...she WAS mad hot...BUT...this really wasn't an improvement over the t-1000 [which was an improvement over Arnie in T1]. I really didn't get the sense of "ohmygodhowaretheygoingtodefeathim[her]" that I got from the t-1000. It seemed the only new trick she had up her sleeve [that was relevant] was her ARM. Oooo...12 years and that's as ominous as they can get?

Another thing...when John & what'sherface was running through the tunnel being chased by the TX, what was that thing that pulled the TX [and John's gun].
- I wish they would have somehow expanded a little more on the bad Arnie concept, instead of just have him grappling with himself. That would've been really cool!
Yeah, that was resolved a lil too quickly...hell, I would've preferred not knowing if Arnie was going to be good OR bad from the START of the movie...but, then they wouldn'tve been able to market it since they seem to give away most of the plot during the trailers
- I missed Brad Fiedel
BIGGEST crime perpetrated.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.