Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator 3: Reviews and Disscussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cameron speaks up on T3..

James Cameron finally gave his thoughts on T3, from darkhorizons.com:

Terminator 3 & Alien 5: James Cameron recently talked with BBC1 and revealed he's very happy with how Terminator 3 ended up: "In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did. And I'm so glad it did. Jonathon's made a great movie. Arnold's in great form. I really like what he's done with it". If he had done it, would he have handled it differently: "Yes. That's only natural. I mightn't have structrued it the same, nor may I have ended it the same way - but coming in where he has, such a hard thing to do, and I give Jonathan points for it".

This isn't a man whose going to whitewash his opinion either, take for example his reaction to "Alien 3" - "Hated it. Simple as that. I hated what they did.... I couldn't stand Alien 3 - how they could just go in there and kill off all these great characters we introduced in aliens, and the correlation between mother and daughter. It stunk, but hopefully I'll get a chance to rectify all that". You mean the talk about him being tied to "Alien 5" is true? "To an extent. yes. We're looking at doing another one. Something similiar to what we did with Aliens. A bunch of great characters, and of course Sigourney. I've even discussed the possibility of putting him [Arnold Schwarzenegger] into the Alien movie". Thanks to 'Ryan'.
Old 07-07-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally posted by rennervision
How do others feel about the way Sarah Connor was written out of the story? I guess they did the best they could with that, since Linda Hamilton would not agree to be in this one. But it sort of lacked any kind of emotional impact that would have been deserving for the main heroine of the first two films.
I think her unceremonial exit was terrible... like Ripley commiting suicide in "Alien 3." Sarah Conor should have gone down in a blaze of glory, a hail of gunfire.

I'm disappointed with her exit, but I can see how it was necessary to write her out of the story: the TX would have used her as bait to target John. Still, they could have said she was in hiding somewhere, or they could have re-cast the part like they did John. A "Terminator" movie without Sarah doesn't feel right to me. It's like how I would imagine an "Alien" movie without Ripley would be: just wrong.
Old 07-07-03, 07:42 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find it hard to believe how many people have loved this movie! I went in expecting a good action film, and that's what I got, no more or less. It IS a good action movie, that's it. T1 or 2 were far better. Those were fresh, original, dark. This film suffered from not having Cameron. Even though he says he liked it, he woulda made a better version.

Pros:
Great special fx.

Exciting action scenes.

Cons:
Arnold was fine, b/c he's a robot, but people actually thought Danes & Stahl were good here? they were both below average. never made me care about them.

The TX was not scary. compared to the T-800 and 1000, it's not even close.

The Terminator making jokes was just stupid. They were only marginally humorous b/c it was Arnold. As Cameron cut out the scene of Arnold smiling in T2, even though it was funny, Mostow should have done the same here.

IMO, Linda Hamilton would have added a lot to this movie. she was a big loss.

Last edited by TCG; 07-07-03 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-08-03, 12:42 AM
Banned

Saw T3 last night. Loved it! It is better than M;R. Although they're both great action films, I honestly feel Minority Report is best out of the three. I would pick them as this...

T2>>T1>>Matrix 1>>Minority Report>>T3>>Matrix Reloaded>>>Bird Droppings>>STDs>>Gonnareah>>Lord of the Rings....at least for now
Old 07-08-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by ncmojo
Oh. My. God. 10 pages of sukekekekekee.

My review system is based on how much money I would recommend people spend to see a film. Do NOT see this film at the regular admission price. Do NOT see it at matinee. MAYBE see it at a $2 theater, or by renting the DVD. If you saw this movie on HBO, it would be a pretty good deal.

Easily the lamest movie I have seen this summer.

Ok, you've sold me. I won't go see it now. It must be a bad movie if 11 pages have been created and only a couple of people have bad-mouthed it. Good thing Matrix: Reloaded is still in theaters. I'll go see that movie again since it lived up to all expectations and was the greatest movie ever made.
Old 07-08-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I find it hard to believe how many people have loved this movie! I went in expecting a good action film, and that's what I got, no more or less. It IS a good action movie, that's it. T1 or 2 were far better. Those were fresh, original, dark. This film suffered from not having Cameron. Even though he says he liked it, he woulda made a better version.
I'm sorry ...but this sounds just like Ebert giving the movie a thumbs down. If you go into the theater, expecting a good action film ... and you got it -- what are you complaining about???? I mean, the first Terminator movie was a slasher/action film wrapped around an interesting (if not entirely novel) idea. The second film toned down the slasher aspect of the film (although the T-1000 got a few chops in) and it became more about the spectacle than anything else.

T2 broke a lot of new ground, there is no denying that, especially with the use of CGI, which still after all these years, looks a lot better than some of the crap being produced now (Hulk comes to mind)

But at its roots, the Terminator series is just an action flick. T3 delivered that in spades..I just don't understand how people can say its a good action film, but it still can't be loved.

The Terminator making jokes was just stupid. They were only marginally humorous b/c it was Arnold. As Cameron cut out the scene of Arnold smiling in T2, even though it was funny, Mostow should have done the same here
Did you see T2? I mean there were jokes in that too. T1 was dark,,, T2 wasn't nearly as dark.
Old 07-08-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Two things I would have liked to have seen:

1) An explanation of the rest of the machine parts from T1. After Reese blows it up, there is a clear shot of the leg falling onto the ground. However, Cyberdyne only finds the arm and the chip. Is this mentioned anywhere?

2) The social effects of the Terminator legend. After the machines showing up twice, surely there would have been an extended police investigation, not to mention the growing number of regular folks who have seen some really messed up stuff. I like the idea of a Terminator cult existing, with those people building shelters and things and being the main body of survivors when Judgement Day happens.
Old 07-08-03, 07:55 AM

And what did Cameron think of TERMINATOR 3, Jonathan Mostow's follow-up to T2? "In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. And it did."

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=39079
Old 07-08-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm currently watching an episode of Lois & Clark: The New Adventures Of Superman, on TBS, and in this episode, this young woman thinks that Jimmy Olsen is Superman's secret identity. This young woman is played by Kristanna Loken. I've seen this episode a couple times, but when I first saw her, I was like, "Hey, that's the TX." And sure enough, her name was listed in the beginning, right after the opening credits and commercials. It's weird though, cuz she looks kinda different. I guess cuz she shows emotion and such. She certainly is pretty though.

K
Old 07-08-03, 11:08 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Average at best, unless lots of things exploding is the definition of a good action movie.

Originally posted by Neeb
T2 believed that you could decide your own fate and make your own destiny. But T3 implies that we have no choice. That it is all predestined and that fighting fate is pointless.
Another reason why T3 didn't gel with me. T3 makes for a cool/bleak ending, but I think it totally undermines the whole series. The machines can send all the T-1000, T-X robots it wants, Connor will always survive, until his predefined time. And the war is inevitable, so what was the point of all the time travel?

5/10.
Old 07-08-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And the war is inevitable, so what was the point of all the time travel?
Well, first off you are using the T2 explanation of time travel. T1 had the same self-fulfilling prophecies. Secondly, and I find this more interesting is that time travel accomplishes things - it is just the law of unintended consquences.

In the first movie, the law of unintended consequences, led to:

a.) Birth of John Connor as we know him (there could have been a different John Connor born at some point who led the humans to victory in a parallel time line). Yes, I know John would know that he was sending his father back in time, but the neccessity of the Terminator going back to time precipitated the time travel.
b.) Possibly Birth of Skynet - (Was this not known by the computers? I am not sure)
c.) Acceleration of Judgement Day to 1997 (or was it an acceleration? We don't really know the true date of it due to T3)

In the second movie, the law of uninteded consequences led to:
a.) Destruction of Cyberdyne
b.) Delay of 1997 Judgment Day

Finally, the third movie, the law of unintended consequences led to:

a.) John and Kate actually being saved by the nuclear blast..if they weren't being hunted by terminators, would they have made it to a safe-zone - I really don't know.

So you see time travel can accomplish things (but it is not always what you wanted it too) I think T3 takes an approach on fate that while the smaller things can NOT be determined, the inevitably of major things in a timeline cannot be avoided.

Last edited by chanster; 07-08-03 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-08-03, 02:24 PM

Yeah, the ending to T2 was just not plausible.

I've always had a problem with it. If they had actually stopped Judgement Day and the rise of the machines...there would have been no terminators to travel back in time, so T1 would've never happened, nor T2...

John Connor wouldn've never been born, there would be no Terminators and the future would be all happy and peaceful. Plus, wasn't it the Machines that developed the time travel method? If they weren't around then no one could've ever gone through time in the first place.

So really it was T2 that messed everything up, and it was T3 that put everything back in order again.

I loved all 3 movies. Each was different in its own way and I like that very much..

Timmio
Old 07-08-03, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

One of my favorite parts of the movie...

At one point during the fight the Terminators have in the first miltary facility, the TX is running through part of a men's room and runs by a group of mirrors to her right. She turns to watch her reflection as she runs past. What is she thinking then? "God, I'm hot!"? "How does my hair look?" "Am I gaining weight?"
Old 07-08-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Peep

At one point during the fight the Terminators have in the first miltary facility, the TX is running through part of a men's room and runs by a group of mirrors to her right. She turns to watch her reflection as she runs past. What is she thinking then? "God, I'm hot!"? "How does my hair look?" "Am I gaining weight?"
I wondered about that exact same scene when I saw it. The scene seemed like it was going to build up to something while she was looking at her reflection, but then Ahnuld comes barging in. Weird.

Did anyone happen to hear about a cut sex scene between Nick Stahl and Claire Danes? My friend said that he saw an interview with Nick where he was talking about a sex scene in the movie. I can't wait to get the DVD to see what exactly was cut out of Terminator 3 that might have given it a bit more depth.
Old 07-08-03, 07:58 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by chanster
If you go into the theater, expecting a good action film ... and you got it -- what are you complaining about????

I just don't understand how people can say its a good action film, but it still can't be loved.

Did you see T2? I mean there were jokes in that too. T1 was dark,,, T2 wasn't nearly as dark.
I am complaining about the OTHER parts of the movie. I said the action was very good, but the acting was not, the villain was not, the dialogue was not, the humor was not, the story was not.

IMO, a film cannot be loved JUST for having good action. At least, I can't. I love a film like Die Hard b/c it has more than just good action.

There were some funny moments in T2 & T1. ("Phuk you, as$hole!") But I feel those moments still kept respect for the characters, that T3 dispenses with.
Old 07-08-03, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally posted by Peep

I thought the same thing as well then I remembered there was a similar scene in T2 when Patrick sees a silver mannequin in the shopping mall. Maybe the later terminator models have a vanity complex?
Old 07-08-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
T1 kind of implies it too
in the deleted scenes
Spoiler:
after Kyle gives her the no fate speech Sarah finds Cyberdine's address in a phone book and talks Kyle into helping her to blow it up. They actually were making the pipe bombs to do that, not fight the terminator. So trying to change the future actually caused Cyberdine to get the first chip and arm

Originally posted by Neeb
T2 believed that you could decide your own fate and make your own destiny. But T3 implies that we have no choice. That it is all predestined and that fighting fate is pointless.

Last edited by mikehunt; 07-09-03 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-08-03, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by Shilex
Did anyone happen to hear about a cut sex scene between Nick Stahl and Claire Danes? My friend said that he saw an interview with Nick where he was talking about a sex scene in the movie. I can't wait to get the DVD to see what exactly was cut out of Terminator 3 that might have given it a bit more depth.
Sex scene!!! I don't think that there would be time to have that since they did not have an intimate moment together maybe on T4
Old 07-08-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"In one word : Great. There was a small part of me that hoped it wasn't good - but another part of me hope'd it succeeded. -JC"

I just saw T3 today but before I give my feelings out about it I wanted to use this qoute above. A few months back I wrote on this board that I heard Cameron say on TV somewhere that he would hope T3 would bomb but couldn't really say it b/c Arnold is his friend and he wanted the film to be great for him. A few people jumped all over my statement saying Cameron wanted this project to suceed with flying colors .... I think the above qoute puts my statement in correct context.

Now on to T3.

It was much better than I had expected. I would say it is almost on par with T2. A little too much humor and not enough character interaction for me. For those trying to figure out the time travel holes don't waste your time. I remember having the same conversations with people when the first film came out,then the second, and now the third! Here are some little things I picked up in the film for discussion.

Spoiler:

Near the beginning is John sitting on top of one of the bridges that the T1000 chased him down in T2?

About John's fate at the hands of the t850 in the future. Is it possible that one of the reasons Kate sent him back was so John would became aware of his own death so it could be avoided? He said himself that he realized Judgement day was avoidable for a short time but would be inevitable some day. Couldn't he try and avoid his own death?

Notice we did not see any Terminator producing facilities(T-600 or 800 series) in T3. Is it possible that Cyberdyne is still operating? After all they did have the first chip and the hand. Somone had to design and produce the first prototype Terminators, much like the prototype H/Ks. Where are they?

Here is a somewhat different viewpoint about this "network" instead of one main computer.

Is it possble that Kyle was dead wrong when he told Sarah that they had almost defeated Skynet when they decided to send back the first terminator? Perhaps the John Conner of the future did not know that Skynet was more than one main computer system when he sent Kyle back. Perhaps it is not known until after his death and Kate discovers this network and reprograms the T850 to come back knowing that this is the only way Conner would find out about it. Conner said at the end of T3 that the terminator knew the whole time the war was unavoidable. It is also possible that the T800 in T2 was ony programmed by future John Conner to bring back all the info he knew about Skynet and Cyberdyne, but if this theory is correct the freedom forces would have had no knowledge of how everything really worked in this network, just little details like the targets in Russia and location of the main Cyberdyne building.
Old 07-09-03, 03:49 AM

surprised as i may seem, but it's not the worst sequel around. there were some flaws. like pacing. and the exclusion of an intro with the theme song we love.
Old 07-09-03, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I finally broke down and saw it last night. Sorry to say it was a waste. Didn't like it at all. I wasn't comparing it to part 2 at all. There's too much to go through that was wrong. It felt like slasher movie choped up together and the ending well people in the theater were very disappointed. This is just my opinon of what i saw.
Old 07-09-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

T1 kind of implies it too in the deleted scenese .... Sarah tries to blow up Cyberdyne
Actually, you are reading that scene completly wrong. First off it wasn't in the movie, so its not "real." Secondly, by trying to blow up Cyberdyne, Sarah actually created the T2 Skynet because the chip was left there at the factory. Its saying you can't change the future..no matter how hard you try... Sarah in that deleted scene (and T2) thinks she can change it, but in reality she can't
That was the "moral" of the story from T1. T2 changed that - or possibly did.
Old 07-09-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

T3 was an awesome movie. I think it's almost up there with T2. There was just one part I've been thinking about since I got out of the theater though.

Spoiler:
After the terminator's battery gets damaged he takes it out and says he operates on two hydrogen batteries. (one battery left now) At the end when Arnold shoves his other battery in the female terminator's mouth and says "You've been terminated." (no battery) I just want to know how he could even do that without a battery. My friends and I came up with two possible explanations - 1. He had enough juice left in him to do that. 2. He has a small supplemental power supply in case both major supplies are lost. I don't know, just kind of bugging me.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Jonny2k1; 07-09-03 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-09-03, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jonny2k1
What do you guys think?
Solar powered supplemental quip power supply - good for one quip only.
Old 07-09-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Jonny2k1,
Spoiler:

I'd say supplemental, or his circuits have a capacitor of some sort for a short reserve
I was affraid when he threw it out the window it was just going to sit there and the camera would zoom in on it, like it would be what was used to base skynet on in T4. Glad it blew up instead

spoilered since the question was

Last edited by mikehunt; 07-10-03 at 06:32 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.