Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else upset with the term "genre movie"?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-30-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am tired of the phrasing "genre movie" or "genre title" being thrown around today when talking about a science fiction or horror movie. What a terrible name for genre of film. It sounds extremely awkward when actually said out loud.

Think about. I'll put in a synonym of genre and tell me if it sounds natural. "I really liked that category movie. The zombies were cool." Wow, that sounds dumb.

I am tired of it, get rid of it.

Thank you for your time,

Brain Stew AKA Andy Rooney
Old 06-30-03, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a pretty dopey name in any case, since the vast majority of artiser films are genre movies as well. The sensitive coming-of-age tale, the two lovers trapped by society, the lone individualist fighting against authority, etc. etc. -- these are all genres, just like zombie and slasher pics. Just because they abide by different rules doesn't mean they are somehow above genre.
Old 06-30-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Inverse
It's a pretty dopey name in any case, since the vast majority of artiser films are genre movies as well.
True, but in fact all movies fall into one genre or another. I tend to think of a "genre movie" as one that does not have crossover appeal - in other words, it won't be enjoyed by people who don't like that particular genre. So something like Star Wars isn't a genre picture, since people who do not necessarily like sci-fi (my mother, for example) also enjoy it.
Old 06-30-03, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You know, I don't disagree, but I do get tired of typing "science fiction/horror/fantasy" - and if I've typed it once, I'll substitute "genre" later.
Old 07-01-03, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know.. Part of me sort of likes the genre title getting thrown around being at least it makes a clean break between films as far as how they rate..

In other words if a film is a pure B Grade no budget zombie film.. it really should be judged by others in "the zombie genre" other wise it is just a simply sucky film when held to normal standards Same for B grade films or any sub classes a film might get forced into. It also lets one know if given fans of a genre like a film, and you like those sort of films, you will like it also. *maybe*

What I dislike is when a film is made for the big market home run hit and then flops and they try to act like it was really a nitch market film.. BS your film flopped and now your looking to act like you ment to or knew it would not have a market.. Oh ok..
Old 07-01-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth marty888 •<HR SIZE=1>True, but in fact all movies fall into one genre or another. I tend to think of a "genre movie" as one that does not have crossover appeal - in other words, it won't be enjoyed by people who don't like that particular genre. So something like Star Wars isn't a genre picture, since people who do not necessarily like sci-fi (my mother, for example) also enjoy it. <HR SIZE=1>

I don't have a problem with it, pretty much for these same reasons. It's simply a way to separate films that are made for a genre's specific audience versus films that obviously can be classified as a genre but are made for the general public. When the genre is the dominating factor, it's a "genre" work. Maybe it's a silly term for it, but the distinction is necessary.

And the term "category movie" only sounds silly to me because the word "category" sounds silly. I'd never refer to Star Trek as being "in the science fiction category" ... it's "in the science fiction genre."

das
Old 07-01-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Yes, I don't mind the idea of a genre movie at all. Something is a genre movie if that element is the overiding factor, and really has no appeal beyond it. For instance, many horror movies really have nothing in them besides death and mayhem. And if you don't like death and mayhem...well...you are not going to like the movie. While certain movies transcend that...and have actual story, characters, and such. With the volume of movies out there, it is fine by me to categorize them because well...they really do fit in these categories quite well sometimes.

It only bothers me when I go to blockbuster and they have three categories and they don't really apply. Pulp Fiction in the action section. Any movie with a comedian is labeled a comedy (even when it's not). So on and so forth.
Old 07-01-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's also generally used as a polite put down term, for something that doesn't (in the reviewers often ignorant opinion) transcend the genre.
Old 07-01-03, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Yet another thread that falls into the genre of fanatical ranting.