Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic book movies you want to see re done, and right this time.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-26-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thinking of the comic book movies of late, even the worst of them are light years better than the bulk of the comic book movies of the past. Superman and Batman were rare exceptions of good comic book movies in a sea of horrible, horrible movies.

Seeing quite a few come and go, and seeing now what can be done with comic book movies, what characters got a bad movie in the past that you think should be redone, and redone with the time and care the best of the comic book movies have been given these days?

My first choice is the Fantastic Four. Always a comic book about 4 normal humans thrust into a cosmic adventure, if this could get the CGI treatment of the latest Star Wars movies, and the story treatment we've seen in Spider Man and a relatively faithful reinterpretation of the comic, this could be the granddaddy of all comic book movies. And my choice for first villian to fight: Galactus, with Nova and Silver Surfer in tow. Make it big, make it grand, make it Marvel! When I think of the great cosmic landscapes Jack Kirby took this team into, I think the time is right for a FF movie since we know the current CGI technology can be used right.

My second choice is Captain America. We've seen some damn impressive war movies lately, so we know that we can have realistic, thrilling war footage, so starting his story at the tail end of WWII would not be out of the question. Just as long as the Avengers can make a guest appearance, I'd be quite happy, since they are the ones who did discover him. And, of course, the Red Skull has to be the first villian he fights in his movie. But considering the suckability of the first Cap America movie, isn't it time for justice to be brought to this character?

Third would be Howard the Duck. I just watched the 80's movie and was shocked how awful it really was in contrast to how fun the comic books were. And while we were at it, why not a Howard the Duck meets the Kiss movie?

Swamp Thing. I know that some feel the first movie was acceptable, but in contrast to Alan Moore's work on the character, and what can be achieved with it, it could be so much more, and not so cheesy. We got a good b-movie, now how about a good comic book movie?
Old 06-26-03, 08:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hulk
Old 06-27-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spiderman - with re-tooled CGI, a plausible Green Goblin costume and ALL of Willem DaFoe's embarrassing "schizo" scenes cropped out.
Old 06-27-03, 12:25 PM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!
Wolverine
Captain America - include the Red Skull
Ghost Rider - what I've seen so far does NOT look encouraging.
Fantastic Four
Spider-man - updated version to include Venom
Wonder Woman - nuff said
Old 06-27-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 369 Likes on 263 Posts
I second Swamp Thing with Alan Moore's ideas.
Old 06-27-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Definitely Swamp Thing--it could be an amazine movie if done correctly, and with Alan Moore's material.
Old 06-27-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A FF movie is planned. I bet the villian will be Dr. Doom for the first one.
Old 06-27-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My choice would be Hellboy, which is already being done by the perfect director, & perfect cast. So now asking for more would just be greedy

But I always though Iron Man if done right would make for a perfect comic book movie. Also a 100 Bullets HBO drama series, would be amazing.
Old 06-27-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
Fantastic Four villain WILL be Dr. Doom. He's a buddy of Reed Richards. I'd save Galactus for the sequel when things are supposed to get bigger. How can you top Galactus?

I'm actually really looking forward to a new Superman movie. It's time to redo it with today's special effects.

It's just a shame that these movies cost so much which makes them have to make them for more of a mass audience. If they don't make $200M out of the gate, they are considered failures, which makes them hedge their bets and make them for as large an audience as possible. It would be neat to see a dark natured Batman or something but we'll never see it because they have to make sure kids and "dates" can see them.
Old 06-27-03, 07:44 PM
Suspended

The Green Lantern!

Bring it on!
Old 06-27-03, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. Green Lantern
2. Fantasic Four
3. Justice League (Flash, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, GL, Plastic Man, The Atom, Power Girl)
4. Superman Batman teamup
5. JSA (set in the WWII background)
6. Captain America - with the Red Skull (maybe during WWII for the 1st movie, then modern day for the 2nd movie)
7. Plastic Man (starring Jim Carrey)
8. Black Lightning
Old 06-27-03, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Spiderman - with re-tooled CGI, a plausible Green Goblin costume and ALL of Willem DaFoe's embarrassing "schizo" scenes cropped out.
I have the exact same problems with that film. (especially Goblins costume).

And I really want to see new FF and Swampy films (I know the FF one is on the way at least). These were 2 of my favourite comics (especially when they involved Byrne on the former and Moore on the latter).
Old 06-27-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always wonder who never reads the first post in a thread and mindlessly posts replies. Now I know.
Old 06-27-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,452 Posts
Old 06-27-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not exactly a comic "book".

But, I'd like to see David Cronenberg get creative with "The Far Side"
Old 06-27-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Remake the introduction of Robin in the Batman movies. And Bane. Those need to be forgotten =\
Old 06-28-03, 12:04 AM
Rest in Peace

No doubt about it

It has to be my favorite "Archie" not the singing group "The Archies" and their song Sugar Sugar.
Old 06-28-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 709 Likes on 517 Posts
The Crow sequels. I actually wish they didn't exist at all.
Superman 3 & 4. Wished these didn't exist either.
Batman Forever and Batman and Robin.
Judge Dredd. Seems like what Stallone had in mind and what ended up on film were very different.
Daredevil. I wished it wasn't cut down to an 88min movie. The tone and the look was there but re-cast Matt Murdock, re-tool the romance with Elektra and change or delete the end fight with Kingpin.
Old 06-28-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by calhoun07
I always wonder who never reads the first post in a thread and mindlessly posts replies. Now I know.
I think a lot of these people should check THIS out..

* [My choices are forthcoming...along with something else. ]
Old 06-28-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Well, I agree with some of what was said here...
  • Swamp Thing - Would DEFINITELY benefit from an infusing of some of Alan's stories..[Of course, they'd be wise NOT to market it as a "popcorn" movie ala another green skinned monster..]
  • Batman [after Batman Returns] - I actually enjoyed Burton/Keaton's take on Batman. It's a shame the franchise was slaughtered by Schumacher. The only thing I would possibly change about the first Batman is the whole "Joker's responsible for Bruce's folks dying" thing...
  • Judge Dredd - Agree with devilshalo. I think Stallone and the director/movie company had two separate movies going on..[with the latter winning..]
  • X-Men - WithOUT Halle. Sorry. Say what you want about it being "en vogue" to bash Halle, but Angela Bassett should've been at the TOP of the short list of actresses for Storm. In addition, she wouldn't be thinking she was too good to do a third flick.
  • the Rocketeer - Actually, I don't wish they'd redo it...just clean it up, and rerelease it as a SE DVD.
And, in a related note, check this out..
Old 06-28-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts
Hulk
Judge Dredd
Josie and the Pussycats
Old 06-28-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Plus I hope Warner Bros. does a Justice League movie once they are finished doing their proposed Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

Plus how bout a movie about these two crazy kids?
Old 06-28-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tank Girl - Man, they messed that movie up.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The movies really don't stand the test of time. I remember when I was young they were pretty good, but now they seem really corny. I've read some of the early Eastman graphic novels that were written and they were really bloody and dark (more like samurai tales). I'd like to see a movie that reflects that.

Vampirella - If this weren't straight to video it might have been better.

Meteor Man - J/k, I don't think there is a way to make this a good movie or comic
Old 06-28-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Shilex
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - The movies really don't stand the test of time. I remember when I was young they were pretty good, but now they seem really corny. I've read some of the early Eastman graphic novels that were written and they were really bloody and dark (more like samurai tales). I'd like to see a movie that reflects that.
I heard they were making a computer animated film of TMNT.

Jason
Old 06-29-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want a live action movie of The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy!!!

Oh Yeah!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.