DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   What will make the next great trilogy (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/301585-what-will-make-next-great-trilogy.html)

Mikey 06-26-03 11:54 AM

What will make the next great trilogy

With SW Episode 3 coming out in a few years, the LOTR trilogy ending this year, as well as the Matrix trilogy, which films, proposed films, or stories would make an excellent film trilogy?

I think that as audiences, we feel compelled to watch all 3 films in a trilogy to see where the plot finishes. Also sequels, and sequels that eventually end up being part of a trilogy. are very profitable for the studios, so the studios seem to make these films with much excitement (for money). With that said, are there any films that people see as possibly becoming part of a trilogy or are there certain comic book stories, novels, etc that would make good film trilogies?

The only potential film trilogy that I could think of would involve the Final Fantasy movie. The movie was great and it had a huge potential for a sequel, but it didn't do too well at the Box office, so we may never know.

joeydaninja 06-26-03 12:44 PM

The Foundation?

Jackskeleton 06-26-03 12:47 PM

final fantasy sequel.... HA HA HA HA HA :lol: Oh man, I don't think that Sqaure could afford another flop like that. It did awful in the box office and was a big failure to fans and general audiances. it pretty much stapled Sony owning part of sqaure and in the long run effected how the game company operates now a days. Their shall not be a new final fantasy film. I'm sure of it.

as for the potential trilogy of the future.. who knows. it's not really something we can tell all to well.

Spooky 06-26-03 01:54 PM

I'd love to see a trilogy based on the "Ender's Game" books.

funkymonk 06-26-03 03:40 PM

ring???(us version)
unbreakable(i wish)
bourne idenity(not great but enjoyable and somewhat smart)
plus all of the comic book series will be entertaining probably

C Roberts 06-26-03 04:12 PM

Originally posted by joeydaninja
The Foundation?

As much as I like the Foundation series, I don't want Hollywood to piss all over it.
I mean, they are totally changing I, Robot to make it more lowest common denominator movie. And I'm pretty sure Asimov rolled over in his grave the day they signed Will Smith to star in it.

Supreme Sean 06-26-03 04:16 PM

When the third The Fast And The Furious movie is completed, the greatest trilogy cinema has ever known will be completed. Frodo wishes he was Ex-Officer Brian O' Connor. As for the next great trilogy, I don't really know. I just hope it isn't science fiction/ fantasy based. Ugh.

Kal-El 06-26-03 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Supreme Sean
When the third The Fast And The Furious movie is completed, the greatest trilogy cinema has ever known will be completed. Frodo wishes he was Ex-Officer Brian O' Connor.
Yep. And all of you will be O W N E D. ;)

On topic, I dunno. Bad Boys 3 maybe?
And there's always the Harry Potter movies. :D

The Nature Boy 06-26-03 04:31 PM

The Watchmen? Probably would be better as a cable miniseries.

DodgingCars 06-26-03 05:29 PM

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

GmoneyOwnsYou 06-26-03 06:10 PM

Supreme Sean, Fast and the Furious was not good. 2 was an improvment, but thats not saying much. Lets all pray they dont make a 3rd. As far as next best trilogy, I say the Terminator trilogy. Or IF and WHENEVER a Ghostbuster 3 does come out. Im not saying it will, but if it does. Then the Ghostbusters trilogy would go down in history as the best comedy trilogy ......PERIOD.

Tarantino 06-26-03 06:50 PM

Spiderman.

DodgingCars 06-26-03 06:51 PM

Ghostbusters? The 1st was pretty good...

The 2nd was awful. It ranks at 5.6/10 on IMDB.

Goat3001 06-26-03 07:07 PM

If the Unbreakable trilogy is ever completed that would be great.

cultshock 06-26-03 07:48 PM

We all know that Breakin' 3 will complete the next great trilogy. :D

RichC2 06-26-03 07:51 PM

GREASE!

...and the fact that there actually is a 3rd coming along makes it incredibly unfunny.. so much so it's just sad.

funkymonk 06-26-03 08:07 PM

Originally posted by RichC2
GREASE!

...and the fact that there actually is a 3rd coming along makes it incredibly unfunny.. so much so it's just sad.

is there really?

lesterlong 06-26-03 08:08 PM

Just because there's a 3rd movie in the series doesn't make it a trilogy. (Terminator, Spider-Man). I like to think something great will be made, hopefully.

devilshalo 06-26-03 08:12 PM

Saturday Night Fever
Stayin' Alive
The Old Dancin' Fool

RichC2 06-26-03 08:17 PM

is there really?
It's 'rumored' I thought it was actually announced, I guess not.

DGibFen 06-26-03 09:22 PM

Originally posted by RichC2
It's 'rumored' I thought it was actually announced, I guess not.
At one point, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake were attached to the project, but it didn't pan out.

I think "From Justin To Kelly" could possibly be called "Grease 3: Beach, Babes, Desperation"

RichC2 06-26-03 09:29 PM

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
God I hope so.. I'd love to see a five episode trilogy done justice.

At one point, Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake were attached to the project, but it didn't pan out.

I think "From Justin To Kelly" could possibly be called "Grease 3: Beach, Babes, Desperation"
Ahh.. I was wondering how that movie got made.. the pitch meeting is making more sense now.

Regurgitator 06-26-03 09:35 PM

The New Superman movie trilogies

rushmore223 06-27-03 02:40 AM

How bout Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy? I know, I know, 5 books in the trilogy. ;)

As far as I am concerned they can forget Restaurant at the end of the universe.

GmoneyOwnsYou 06-27-03 03:02 AM

DodgingCars - IMDB rankings dont define a movie. Sorry bout your luck.