Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Your single most memorable/special Theater experience?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Your single most memorable/special Theater experience?

Old 03-01-04, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ESB. duh.

j
Old 03-01-04, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the re-opening of Star Wars with the special edition stuff. Too young to see it (born in '78) in theatres, It was really cool.
Old 03-01-04, 10:47 PM

Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.
December 19, 2001. 12:01 a.m.

The midnight screening of the first of the trilogy at New York City's IMAX theatre at Lincoln Center. Press and TV cameras aplenty. With a special guest appearance and introduction to the film by Sir Ian McKellan.

This was the single most amazing movie experience I've ever had. Nothing has compared to seeing this film on the BIG big screen. I even had a chance after the screening to thank Gandalf himself for the incredible film.
Old 03-02-04, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I even had a chance after the screening to thank Gandalf himself for the incredible film
did he hit on you? lol!!

j
Old 03-03-04, 12:04 AM

1983, Return of the Jedi

I was in 8th grade and in one of my morning classes. I got a call over the intercom to report to the office and that I would be leaving for a few hours. I thought something bad had happened, and when I got there I saw my father. I knew something terrible must have happened, because my father was never off work at this time of day. But what was even odder than my father picking me up, was that my father was smiling. As he took me out to the car, he told me that mom, he, and I were going to see a movie, Return of the Jedi at the 10am showing; the first showing in my town.

There were about 10 other adults in the audience (if that many), and little ole me, the 12 year old. When the lights went dim, all of us cheered, chanted, and clapped through the movie previews. But once the previews were over, not a single person moved or said a word. The film ended, all of us sat through the credits, and then we all left the theater saying how great we felt about seeing it first and how "neat" and "cool" it was for my parents to take me to the showing.

When I returned to school, where lunch had just finished, I was all pumped and started bragging about just seeing Return of the Jedi. The other kids couldn't believe my parents would take me out of school just to see some movie, heck I couldn't either. And they almost seemed to taunt me for it, saying it was a dumb reason to leave school (yeah, I too was like "Any reason is a good reason to leave, but to see a Star Wars movie, TOO COOL). That's where I learned I was a little different than most kids, I loved the movies, and most others were just mere movie watchers.

Over time I may have over embellished the significance of that day, but it still sticks out in my mind as one of my favorite movie experiences.

Then there's the memory of being taken to a movie by my parents, Hot Stuff. My mom almost pee'd on herself due to the language and the nudie pictures on the back wall of the store, but my dad kept his cool and just let it go since it was too late to really do anything but enjoy the movie. hehe

Last edited by oldone; 03-03-04 at 06:38 AM.
Old 03-03-04, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by jekbrown
did he hit on you? lol!!

j
Haha. Well, Sir Ian wouldn't hit on me for the simple fact that I'm a girl. Anyway, a nice-looking younger man (possibly his boyfriend?) was waiting for him in the limo outside the theatre.
Old 03-03-04, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 908 Likes on 643 Posts
Haven't read the first 3 pages but I have to say that my most memorable moviegoing experience would be that back row BJ during the Hot Shots in '94.

J/K.
Old 03-03-04, 01:07 PM

- SW: Return of the Jedi... I remember rushing over to the theater after school with my friends & waiting on the longest line I had ever seen at the time. We felt like we had waited an eternity for the film (on the line and since ESB).

- Night of the Demons... my most enjoyable experience. The whole theater was making comments, cheering, booing... normally stuff I frown upon but it made the movie 20 times better.

- Dead Poets Society... ended up crying at the end (during the O Captain My Captain bit) and found out when the lights went up that all my friends had as well... finally when we got into the car with our sunglasses on, we started poking fun at each other.

- CB4... guy pulled out a gun and started waving it at someone who didn't shut up during the movie. He eventually walked out. Not my favorite experience but definitely a memorable one.

Last edited by tsinbad; 03-03-04 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-03-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A midnight showing of Bride of the Re-Animator with the right kind of crowd. I remember the cheers as the reagent makes its first appearance.

The second time I saw Raider of the Lost Ark. This time, I could pay attention to and appreciate the crowd's reaction when Alfred Molina turns around and is covered with huge spiders.

Seeing A Fish Called Wanda and Who Framed Roger Rabbit in theatres on the same day, seeing two people run over by steamrollers. An odd coincidence that's stuck with me over the years.
Old 03-04-04, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The second time I saw Castaway, empty theater except my girlfriend and I. Lil ergyu popped out for some fun, to say the least.
Old 03-04-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm assuming you mean "good" theater experiences? I've had way too many bad ones that were very memorable (like THREE babies crying during The Hulk. I'll never forget that!)

The most memorable, positive movie experience I had was Return Of The King, opening night (2003). Not a peep from the audience. Dead silence the whole film.
Old 03-04-04, 12:39 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I'm assuming you mean "good" theater experiences? I've had way too many bad ones that were very memorable (like THREE babies crying during The Hulk. I'll never forget that!)

that must have been fans too who didn't like what Ang Lee did to the film version of the Hulk.

Old 03-04-04, 05:45 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw SW and ESB when I was a little kid. I was so shocked when Vader reveiled that he was Lukes father. Felt really bad for Han Solo being placed in carbonite
Old 03-04-04, 07:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 878 Likes on 743 Posts
x-mas 1993.."Schindler's List"....not a sole moved or made a sound for 15 minutes after it was over...amazing!

1988..."die hard I"...the impact seeing it the first time was awesome..such action. and my favorite film.
Old 03-04-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally I had a really long and silly post. Decided to trim it down a bit.

It was a class field trip to the theater to see Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. It was part of history class. The teachers booked the entire theater, with a seating capacity of about 150-200, and we filled it up with our entire grade. That was fun. We were only about 14 at the time, and it was just amazing to sit in a theater watching an adventure movie with 200 other people you know. Simply awesome.

Last edited by Autotelik; 03-04-04 at 11:03 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lord Of The Rings Trilogy Tuesday
December 16th, 2003
Easily the best time I've ever had at a movie theater. I went with a big group of my friends, we all got out of school, and sat through all three movies. It was amazing seeing the Extended Versions up there on the big screen. And the length wasn't a factor because it was being held in this really nice theater that actually had a Tubby's and Big Boy inside the theater. That took care of worrying about what to eat all day. But just being there with my good friends, and all of the anticipation leading up to the day, was great. Plus, watching the first 2 before ROTK, made ROTK the most incredible end to a movie series I've ever seen. All in all, it'd be tough to beat LOTR Trilogy Tuesday, for the most memorable theater experience.
Old 03-05-04, 10:15 AM

Remember the Titans - Young, in love, and in happier times. the movie just inspired me. i've seen it with other people and alone but there was just something about seeing it with my girl the first time, we fed off each other's energy and it made the film great
Old 03-05-04, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Excellent thread!!!

*Transformers- The Movie: I remember watching it being in shock that Optiums Prime was killed! I remember being so upset with my favorite transformer dead.

*A View to a Kill: First James Bond I saw in the theater. Loved the music then too. Duran Duran!

*Star Wars Special Edition- What was special about this movie was that it was sold out. I was so bummed about it selling out. My mom then asked the ticket guy for second right tickets (standing tickets) Well we got them! I got into the movie early and sat down It was sweet!
Old 03-05-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw star wars se with a friend who had never seen the movies before, and we both had a blast. (I had to tell him that the guy in black was Darth Vader
Old 07-05-16, 01:58 PM

Re: Your single most memorable/special Theater experience?

If I recall correctly, wintertime, small empty neighborhood theatre, Tank Girl matinee, we were sitting on the floor in front of the very first row, jackets on, with a mickey of Smirnoff.

Seeing T2 for the first time in the theatre, would be a close second for me, with Beverly Hills Cop II taking the third spot.

Last edited by MovieMax; 07-05-16 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-05-16, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 418 Posts

Wow you're doing quite a bit of catching up..
Old 07-05-16, 04:20 PM

I figure, either go full on vintage down memory lane or might as well not be here. For me, movies equal memories. I don't really care about top threads like Black Lives Matter, Hillary, NBA, Rio 2016 and most of the New Posts page. The old topics here are really fun for me. You can make an effort to join in good faith and with genuine intentions, but you can't control the kind of reception you'll get from the in-crowd.
Old 07-05-16, 04:57 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

To all members:

In-topic comments which are not relevant to the topic on hand or are combative in nature will result in comment deletions and/or suspensions