DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Your opinion on these (IMO) under-rated actors? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/300290-your-opinion-these-imo-under-rated-actors.html)

Kole_Koiott 06-20-03 05:47 AM

Your opinion on these (IMO) under-rated actors?

I think these listed are some of the most underrated (or under-used, depending on the actor) actors working today in Hollywood, i'd be interested to know what you all thought of them (and if you know them well enough, what do you consider their best performance)?

William H. Macy
John Turturro
Julianne Moore
Steve Buscemi
John C. Reilly
Luis Guzman
Robert Carlyle
Philip Seymour Hoffman
Ben Kingsley
Daniel Day Lewis

Trigger 06-20-03 06:30 AM

Except for the chick - they're all the same guy... background - supporting cast - destined to only star in indy films and play cameos or supporting roles.

Stoolie 06-20-03 07:14 AM

Re: Your opinion on these (IMO) under-rated actors?

William H. Macy - excellent - Fargo
John Turturro - usually excellent - Not sure (Lebowski)
Julianne Moore - hit or miss - Boogie Nights hit/Hannibal miss
Steve Buscemi - hit or miss -
John C. Reilly - awesome - Magnolia
Luis Guzman - decent - Boogie Nights/The Limey/Out of Sight (not sure)
Robert Carlyle - ehhh - Trainspotting
Philip Seymour Hoffman - awesome, maybe my favorite actor - Boogie Nights/Happiness/Love Liza/Magnolia
Ben Kingsley - ehhh - Searching for Bobby Fischer/Sexy Beast (never saw Gandhi)
Daniel Day Lewis - usually excellent - In the Name of the Father (I think)

stoolie

jdpatri 06-20-03 08:35 AM

Re: Re: Your opinion on these (IMO) under-rated actors?

Originally posted by Stoolie

John Turturro - usually excellent - Not sure (Lebowski)
Daniel Day Lewis - usually excellent - In the Name of the Father (I think)

stoolie

John Turturro? usually excellent?

1) The Big Lebowski - "Nobody ____ with da Jesus."
2) Barton Fink - underrated flick, and he is fantastic
3) Miller's Crossing - small, yet pivotal role. Tragic, simpathetic and despicable all at the same time.
4) Mr. Deeds - he made that wretched movie watchable.
5) Quiz Show - a forgotten movie with great performances
6) Do the Right Thing
7) Gung Ho - barely remember him, but love the movie.

Daniel Day Lewis - even in his less than super movies has been wonderful... and brilliant just as often.

NCMojo 06-20-03 08:48 AM

Originally posted by Trigger
Except for the chick - they're all the same guy... background - supporting cast - destined to only star in indy films and play cameos or supporting roles.
Including Daniel Day Lewis? Really?

Ginwen 06-20-03 09:56 AM

All excellent, but not really underrated (maybe not so well known by the public at large). 3 of those were nominated for academy awards this year (I'm not saying that is a mark of quality, but it is recognition), so that's hardly underrated.

As far as my favorite performance by them (not necessarily their best, but the one I enjoy the most):

William H. Macy: Always good, best in Fargo
John Turturro: Do the Right Thing, because I like the whole movie. He is great in Big Lebowski, but he is the only thing I liked.
Julianne Moore: Far From Heaven or Boogie Nights
Steve Buscemi:Ghost World or Fargo or Reservoir Dogs .... any other movie he's in.
John C. Reilly - Chicago (I like that song)
Luis Guzman - Traffic, I guess
Robert Carlyle - Trainspotting
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Magnolia
Ben Kingsley - Gandhi
Daniel Day Lewis - Unbearable Lightness of Being, but I also really enjoy Last of the Mohicans

eedoon 06-20-03 10:17 AM

Loved Julianne Moore. Great actress, especially in Far From Heaven.
Steve Buscemi: Liked him in Ghost World.
John C. Reilly and Luis Guzman is all right. Didn't see much of their movie though.
Philip Seymour Hoffman is the man.
I want to kick Ben Kingsley's a$$ in Rules of Engagement.
I second Ginwen about Daniel Day Lewis.

Kole_Koiott 06-20-03 02:31 PM

Originally posted by eedoon
Loved Julianne Moore. Great actress, especially in Far From Heaven.
Steve Buscemi: Liked him in Ghost World.
John C. Reilly and Luis Guzman is all right. Didn't see much of their movie though.
Philip Seymour Hoffman is the man.
I want to kick Ben Kingsley's a$$ in Rules of Engagement.
I second Ginwen about Daniel Day Lewis.

What about John Turturro?

And to comment on one clame made before, yes in this day of age they probably do mostly play the supporting roles, but that usually makes the movie for me, perfect example is John Turturro in Big Lebowski.
If we lived in the perfect world, people like John Turturro and Daniel Day Lewis would be as famous as Tom Cruise, and well............ basically that actors as bland as Pitt or Cruise didn't even exist.

marty888 06-20-03 03:01 PM

I hardly would consider any of these people as "underrated" - they get consistently favorable reviews for their work, get recognized by their peers as superior talents, and even (OMG) get nods at Oscar time.

They may not be "Hollywood stars" in the sense that they can carry a $100 million dollar blockbuster, but they are <b>actors</b> as evidenced by the choices they make and the career path they pursue. Several of them often walk away from Hollywood for a bit and do stage work - I was fortunate enough to see John Turturro on stage just last week.

<b>
Except for the chick - they're all the same guy... background - supporting cast - destined to only star in indy films and play cameos or supporting roles. </b>

Yeah, Ben Kingsley's cameo in that film about India was pure background. -wink-

tasha99 06-20-03 04:58 PM

Cough cough sputter . :eek:

You think that of Daniel Day-Lewis? He's mostly retired now, but I think he was great in My Left Foot, A Room with a View, Age of Innocence, In the Name of the Father, My Beautiful Laundrette, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Last of the Mohicans, The Crucible, and The Boxer (off the top of my head--sure I missed some). Can't wait to see Gangs of New York next month.

tasha

ArchibaldTuttle 06-20-03 07:21 PM

William H. Macy -always good, probably Fargo

John Turturro -always good, I doubt its his best but my favorite is the Big Lebowski

Julianne Moore -pretty good, Big Lebowski

Steve Buscemi -awesome, one of my favorite actors, Fargo or Reservior Dogs

John C. Reilly -don't understand why people like him so much, I mean he's not bad, but it's not like I will ever see a movie because of him specifically, probably Magnolia, which isn't saying much since I didn't really care for that movie

Luis Guzmán -never seen a movie he was in that I didn't think he did an excellent job, but he never plays big roles

Robert Carlyle -he's excellent in everything I have seen him in, Trainspotting

Philip Seymour Hoffman -always good, theres nothing I absolutely love him in, or that he stands out in

Ben Kingsley -it's been many years since I have seen Ghandi, and I haven't seen Sexy Beast yet, he is supposedly excellent in both, he was pretty good in Schindler's List ::shrug::

Daniel Day Lewis -one of my favorite actors of all time, absolutely amazing in every movie I have seen him in

mwj 06-20-03 07:55 PM

That is a very good list. These are my favorite performances:

William H. Macy-Fargo
John Turturro-Miller's Crossing
Steve Buscemi-Resevoir Dogs
Luis Guzman-Out of Sight
Philip Seymour Hoffman-Almost Famous
Daniel Day Lewis-Last of the Mohicans (I have not seen Gangs of New York yet.)

eedoon 06-21-03 01:10 AM

Originally posted by Kole_Koiott
What about John Turturro?

And to comment on one clame made before, yes in this day of age they probably do mostly play the supporting roles, but that usually makes the movie for me, perfect example is John Turturro in Big Lebowski.
If we lived in the perfect world, people like John Turturro and Daniel Day Lewis would be as famous as Tom Cruise, and well............ basically that actors as bland as Pitt or Cruise didn't even exist.

I have seen few of his movie:
Gung-Ho
Being Human
Fearless
The Big Lebowski
Summer of Sam
O Brother, Where Art Thou?

But to my shame, I didn't remember which one is him. :o

Kole_Koiott 06-21-03 02:55 PM

Originally posted by tasha99
Cough cough sputter . :eek:

You think that of Daniel Day-Lewis? He's mostly retired now, but I think he was great in My Left Foot, A Room with a View, Age of Innocence, In the Name of the Father, My Beautiful Laundrette, The Unbearable Lightness of Being, The Last of the Mohicans, The Crucible, and The Boxer (off the top of my head--sure I missed some). Can't wait to see Gangs of New York next month.

tasha

I love Day Lewis as well. Too bad he doesn't work more often.:(

caiman 06-21-03 07:57 PM

William H. Macy - Really like him, probably mostly because of Fargo.

John Turturro - Have only seen a few of his films, but have loved what I've seen. He was the icing on the cake in The Big Lebowski.

Julianne Moore - Never been extremely impressed with her, but have liked her in a handful of roles.

Steve Buscemi - Awesome all around. One of my favorite actors.

John C. Reilly - He has never really stood out much to me. He's one of those guys I have probably seen in 3x more movies than I can recall seeing him in.

Luis Guzman - Only seen him in a few things, but he always makes me laugh.

Robert Carlyle - Love him. He made Trainspotting. Loved him in Ravenous.

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Loved him in everything I've seen him in. He's climbing my list of favorites.

Ben Kingsley - I haven't seen enough of his stuff to make a call. Still need to see Ghandi. (tho he was great in Sexy Beast)

Daniel Day Lewis - Didn't think too much of him in Last of the Mohicans, but he owned in GONY. He is a big part of why I enjoyed that movie.

Jericho 06-21-03 10:53 PM

Your list would basically be the entire cast of a P.T. Anderson/Coen Brothers movie

Kole_Koiott 06-22-03 09:07 AM

Originally posted by Jericho
Your list would basically be the entire cast of a P.T. Anderson/Coen Brothers movie
Come on spill it out, what do you consider their best performance?:)

Groucho 06-22-03 09:36 AM

Hard to call that list under-rated or under-used. All have big resumés and all are critically acclaimed. Some Oscar nominees and winners as well.

Mad Dawg 06-22-03 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Hard to call that list under-rated or under-used. All have big resumés and all are critically acclaimed. Some Oscar nominees and winners as well.
I'd have to agree. Each one on the list sports a slew of awards and nominations from various organizations. Kingsley and Lewis have won Best Actor Oscars and Moore has been nominated four times. If we're talking about under-rated by the public, you could pretty much plug any name into the list if they aren't pulling down $10 Million+ per film. Each of these actors are very well received by their peers and consistently get great roles. That is something that most actors would love to have.

jarofclay73 06-22-03 02:40 PM

William H. Macy - Haven't seen Fargo, but I really liked him in State and Main and Magnolia.

John Turturro - I've only seen him in Quiz Show which was great.

Julianne Moore - Liked her in Magnolia but I probably have to see The Hours.

Steve Buscemi - This guy is one of the most reliable actors in the biz. Does a good job even in duds like Armageddon. Of course, his best is in Reservoir Dogs and Ghost World.

John C. Reilly - One of my favorite actors of this bunch. Great in The Perfect Storm, Magnolia, and Boogie Nights.

Luis Guzman - Haven't seen enough of him except in Boogie Nights. Was good in Out of Sight.

Robert Carlyle - Haven't seen Trainspotting and he had a bit role in The Beach.

Philip Seymour Hoffman - Also, one of my favorites with his best role in Almost Famous. He's great also in State and Main, Boogie Nights, and Magnolia. He had an OK part in Red Dragon.

Ben Kingsley - Great in Ghandi. Good in Searching For Bobby Fischer. Had a good supporting role in Rules of Engagement.

Daniel Day Lewis - Haven't seen My Left Foot. He was good in Last of the Mohicans.

Jericho 06-22-03 08:06 PM

Originally posted by Kole_Koiott
Come on spill it out, what do you consider their best performance?:)
Alright, fair enough :)
I actually like pretty much all Coen brothers and P. T. Anderson film, so that's a good sign.Here's a particular performance I like of each...

William H. Macy - I'll go with Fargo, mainly because he had a lead in this one, where as many of his other roles are smaller
John Turturro - I'll take Barton Fink
Julianne Moore - Far From Heaven was an excellent role for her
Steve Buscemi - I'll go with Reservoir Dogs
John C. Reilly - I don't know on this one. Maybe Magnolia, maybe Hard Eight
Luis Guzman - a snall role, but I'll take Out of Sight
Robert Carlyle - this one's tougher. Being a big Bond fan, I loved seeing him in TWINE, but I really can't say it was his favorite role of mine. I'll take The Full Monty over Trainspotting.
Philip Seymour Hoffman - lots of choices, I'm not sure, maybe The Talented Mr. Ripley
Ben Kingsley - Haven't seen the popular Ghandi, so I'll fall back on Sexy Beast
Daniel Day Lewis - Haven't seen Gangs on New York yet, but I always liked Last of the Mohicans, even if isn't considered his best role.

DRG 06-22-03 08:51 PM

And then there are these WTF choices...

Steve Buscemi - Escape from LA
Luis Guzman - Adventures of Pluto Nash
Philip Seymour Hoffman - Patch Adams
Ben Kingsley - What Planet Are You From

Doing a mainstream film is one thing, but sheesh! :)

Drexl 06-22-03 11:46 PM

Re: Re: Your opinion on these (IMO) under-rated actors?

Originally posted by caiman
John C. Reilly - He has never really stood out much to me. He's one of those guys I have probably seen in 3x more movies than I can recall seeing him in.
Yeah, I didn't even notice him in Chicago. It was as if I could look right through him, walk right by him, and never know he was there.

Movie_Man 06-23-03 11:22 AM

Can I add one more to your list? Ewan McGregor. With the exception of the Star Wars catastrophe, a fine actor in many fine movies, including Moulin Rouge, Trainspotting, and Black Hawk Down.

mookiemeister 06-23-03 11:24 AM

Julianne Moore, Steve Buscemi, and Daniel Day Lewis are great actors. They should be in more movies. I have no opinion on others in your list.