Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are they going to make a REAL Dumb and Dumber 2

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-03, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Realizing how stupid this prequel is going to be, what are the chances of the guys doing a real D&D. To me it seems a little less than likely. First, Jim Carrey has started doing comedic roles again but this one seems beneath him (not IMO but in that of some critics). Also, Daniels has been here in Michigan doing Indy work (hes fell of the Hollywood map), I bet he could use the dough. I hope Im wrong becuase D&D is my all time fav. comedy.
Old 06-14-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that this "sequel" or prequel has been done, nope. No way. Besides, I'm pretty sure Carrey didn't want to anyways.
Old 06-14-03, 06:59 PM

If there's a God no.
Old 06-14-03, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

they can always make a real world spring break movie. that would be dumb and dumber.
oh, too late.

if d & d is truly your favorite comedy, why would you want to see it diluted by a sequel that would most likely never live up to it?

i would just keep watching your d & d with glee. keep the d & d 2 film in your head where it will be funniest. keep it pure. sequels are evil!

by the by, i do think d & d is one of carrey's funniest films.
of course with crap like liar liar and bruce almighty that might not be saying much
Old 06-14-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And call it Dumb and Dumbererest
Old 06-14-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it would be nice to see Carrey and Daniels do their thing again, but it probably won't happen.
Old 06-14-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Perfect for a double bill with Real Cancun Redux.
Old 03-01-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Are they going to make a REAL Dumb and Dumber 2

http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/02/28/du...-jeff-daniels/

Just when we thought the Dumb & Dumber franchise couldn’t get any dumber — thanks to 2003′s ill-advised, non-Farrelly Brothers-affiliated Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd — Peter and Bobby Farrelly aim to do something like this to totally redeem it: Speaking to Moviehole, Bobby Farrelly hinted at a possible sequel to the 1994 hit film, and, thankfully, that sequel would see the return of Dumb & Dumber‘s original stars. Said Bobby: “If we could get those two guys back together, Jim Carrey and Jeff Daniels that might be a worthwhile sequel — and that ball is in motion. We’re starting to think about what those two dimwits would be doing 20 years later in life, and hopefully we’ll be able to come up with something worthy of a sequel.”

EW has confirmed with the Farrelly Brothers’ rep that the ball is indeed in motion on a Dumb & Dumber sequel, which leads us to question: Holy hell, it’s been almost 20 years since the movie came out?! How did I get so old?! And: Do we even want to see Dumb & Dumber: Man-Boys of a Certain Age?

I always shudder at the thought of a follow-up to great movies (thanks to Grease 2 and Matrix Revolutions for giving me the sequel spooks), but I’m not completely opposed to a second Dumb & Dumber film. Perhaps that’s because I’m eager to see how blank slates Harry and Lloyd have matured mentally and emotionally, if at all. Have they gotten their big break? Have they taught themselves enough basic science to learn to not lick a metal pole in winter? Are their pets’ heads STILL FALLING OFF?!

Of course, revisiting a franchise more than a decade later could go very, very wrong (See: Little Fockers, The Odd Couple II). But, as we’ve seen in the past few months with commercial hits like TRON: Legacy and critical hits like Wall Street: Money Never Sleeps, nostalgia often works in favor of select franchises. (Not that I’m putting Dumb & Dumber on the same level as 1987′s Wall Street — though they both involve briefcases.) And, when it comes to the ’90s, you can’t get more nostalgic than Dumb & Dumber. Of course, Carrey and Daniels would have to be involved in order for any kind of sequel to be satisfying (both the actors’ rep have yet to respond to EW’s request for comment) — a Dumb & Dumber movie without the original Harry and Lloyd is like, well, a bird without a head.
Old 03-01-11, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Carrey could use a solid hit, which this would be.
Old 03-01-11, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd see this opening day.
Old 03-01-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bad idea. This smacks of desperation on the part of The Farrelly Bros. Plus the first film was just plain... dumb.
Old 03-01-11, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts

I thought Carrey used to be against sequels. I know he did Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls but I could swear I remember an interview with him sometime where he said he didn't like them. Could be wrong though. Either way I'd go and see this if it came out for sure!
Old 03-01-11, 12:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
I thought Carrey used to be against sequels.
That was back when people used to go see his films. I'm sure he's changed his tune by now.
Old 03-01-11, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Farrelly Brothers haven't exactly made a good movie in a while though, so that gives me pause, but if Carrey and Daniels agree to it, I'll be there opening day.
Old 03-01-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The first film is one of my favorite comedies of all time. If the Farrelly's return, and manage to get Carrey and Daniels back, I will be there opening day.
Old 03-01-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Using TRON: Legacy and Wall Street: MNS to make a case for a Dumb and Dumber sequel is fairly tepid logic.
Old 03-01-11, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wanted an Ace Ventura 3 before a Dumb & Dumber 2 (I know i'm in the minority on that). But I really love both and have fond memories of watching them as a kid. I grew up on Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler, so I will always see their films. Even if it's a rental or watching it on tv sometime.
Old 03-01-11, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
I wanted an Ace Ventura 3 before a Dumb & Dumber 2 (I know i'm in the minority on that). But I really love both and have fond memories of watching them as a kid. I grew up on Jim Carrey and Adam Sandler, so I will always see their films. Even if it's a rental or watching it on tv sometime.