Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

28 Days Later (directed by Danny Boyle)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

28 Days Later (directed by Danny Boyle)

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-03, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
I didn't want to get into spoilers, and I guess I really won't, but I really can't believe people missed what I thought was a pretty blatant visual metaphor.

Spoiler:

When Jim is struggling to survive, everything is grainy. He's going through hell. When they are fine and living in the country, everything is crystal clear. Going through hell=gritty. Living easily=crystal clear. To just shrug this off and suggest that the director just switched methods of shooting is absurd. He might have switched methods, but the effect was deliberate.
Yeah, I don't think anyone here is disagreeing with you.
Old 07-07-03, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The whole film was shot on DV.

Pay close attention to the FOX Searchlight logo and the end credits. It shows that the entire film (opening logo, film itself, and end credits) went from DV to film.
Old 07-08-03, 10:47 AM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I liked it, derivative as it was - but its fairly obvious that this is supposed to be a b-movie.

The last act really reminded me of The Beach where
Spoiler:
a character also goes commando.

I liked that there was an attempt to get to a story other than the us vs. them and I actually liked that the film had the ending that it did, because otherwise it would be too much like the Romero zombie films - with the shock/twist endings.

7/10.
Old 07-08-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While I think it's possible that some of it was film-originated, the different 'look' is most likely a result of post-production image processing and the different shooting conditions.
Old 07-08-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jepthah
While I think it's possible that some of it was film-originated, the different 'look' is most likely a result of post-production image processing and the different shooting conditions.
Yes. The explosions incredibly weird, and the flowers in the field are blotchy - almost like a Monet.
Old 07-08-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by veloce
I believe the last sequence in the film ...was actually shot on film, and of course looks very different, but I'm not sure.
Originally posted by Matthew Chmiel The whole film was shot on DV.
Veloce's the winner. The final scene was purposely shot on film to contrast visually with the rest of the movie.
Old 07-08-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought that last scene looked different from the rest of the film. I loved the whole visual look of the DV on this film. It made the experience seem like a visual documentary on the extreme level.
Old 07-08-03, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From DVD Times, one of the better UK review sites:

... a graininess that appears and disappears depending on the location. It is this last aspect of the film that have led some people to question whether DV was actually used throughout and they are right, it's not. Where Boyle used digital filters to enhance the appearance of the picture depending on the effect he was trying to achieve, 35mm film was used at the end of the film to engineer a different response in the audience and because of this, a source DV edit for the entire film was not available for the transfer, which would have been preferable had it existed.
Haven't listened to my DVD's commentary yet though, so I dunno what Boyle & Garland have to say on it.
Old 07-09-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Haven't listened to my DVD's commentary yet though, so I dunno what Boyle & Garland have to say on it.
It's a great commentary to listen to, very insightful. I'd suggest watching the deleted scenes commentary after the film commentary as they occasionally refer back to things they say in the film commentary.

I usually don't like commentaries but this one is really good. You can tell they enjoyed making the film. They discuss everything from how their intentions for the movie changed as they made it, to the technical aspects of the film. A lot of what has been debated about in these and other threads is discussed/explained in the commentary and many of the accusations made against the film are openly admitted to.
Old 07-09-03, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
Yes. The explosions incredibly weird, and the flowers in the field are blotchy - almost like a Monet.
The "flowers in the field" effect was purposeful, good catch on the Monet style. As was the splitscreen effect when they were in Jim's old house, etc.
Old 07-09-03, 09:46 AM

Originally posted by AGuyNamedMike
The "flowers in the field" effect was purposeful, good catch on the Monet style. As was the splitscreen effect when they were in Jim's old house, etc.
Yeah, I noticed those flowers. They reminded me of that atrocious WHAT DREAMS MAY COME, except they were actually neat, and frankly a little disconcerting.

What split screen are you talking about? That weird shot of the city skyline that tilts up to the character's faces in the failing light? I wondered how they did that shot, it's cool.
Old 07-09-03, 10:57 AM

First of all, I really liked this film.

Secondly, the grainy cinematography provides a raw atmosphere a la security camera which enhances the visual experience if one does not get locked on it and upset by it.

In regards to the "flowers in the field" shot, it could have been a Monet impression or a van Gogh painting where the colors flows between the lines and diffuses the contrasts. Which brings me to the film itself...
Spoiler:
The contrasts between the raging zombies and the soldiers are diffused besides their looks and communication skills. What I intend to say is that the intended actions of the zombies and the soldiers are not far between and the flower scene is the transition for the audience to ponder the moment of the field and to provide a hint of what is about to come. Anyway, this is my interpretation of the flower scene.

Who of you liked the cinematography? I did indeed like it very much...
Old 07-09-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry but this moive wasn't that good, extremely bad acting (if those zombie people would have killed Hannah the teenage daughter, I would have been very happy.) Also many people at the showing late last night were half way laughing towards the end. Also, until the zombies came on screen we were all stretching since, not much happened.
Old 07-10-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I finally made it out of town to see this, and thought is was really good. I would have liked a little higher quality presentation, and believe it is very possible to get that docu-grainy look without looking like I filmed it with my camcorder. Either way, it didn't detract all that much from movie, and I think that is telling of how good the movie is.

Anyway, while I was waiting in line for my ticket, the guy in front of me, who was alone and in his 50s, was berating the ticket girl about how terrible the movie was, how it was NOT a sci-fi film, and how he left half way through the movie.

3 1/2 / 4

Edit: I just read Ebert's review, and actually thought the same thing when watching the end, hoping it would happen.
Spoiler:
When the jet flies overhead, I hoped it would circle around and strafe them on the hill.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 07-10-03 at 09:14 PM.
Old 07-11-03, 02:40 PM

I saw this on Monday and freakin' loved it. Next to Finding Nemo, this is the best movie I've seen all year.
Old 07-11-03, 04:27 PM
Banned

What a big disappointing flim this was. The commerical on T.V. for this movie kept saying how scary it is and stuff. This movie wasnt even close to scary, hell, I get more scared when I look at my own ass.

The other thing I didn't like was how they made those military guys go bad. I guess you can say I'm patriotic in some way because I hated that and thats when the movie lost all creditbility for me.

Also, 1 man killing all them soldiers?. I think not.

Last thing I didn't like how it was just Britain only infected.
What the?. This movie would be far more interesting if the whole world was infected and lost which comes to the idea of what will man do in order to survive.
Old 07-11-03, 05:19 PM

You hated a horror film because it was un-patrotric? This may be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

As for as being Britain being the country infected. Think! The animal activist event happened in Britian and the 15 seconds that it takes to infect people, make it almost impossible for a plane to actually succesfully be flown out of the country to infect the rest of the world.

And one "man" did not kill all the solider's. There was the infected also. It was much more than one man.

It seems to me that you just didn't "get" the film in any way.
Old 07-11-03, 05:53 PM
Banned

Sure, you can say its dumb cause it's un-patritoic but I can also say thats the dumbest thing to call this movie a horror flim cause it's not even close to a horror flim. It's like kids movie.

I did get the flim. Also, it wasnt a horror movie in my mind.
Ya, I know that the infection takes only 15 seconds but I'm stateing that the movie was boring because of that and also it only takes place in 1 country which is boring. Also, these infected things is less advanced compared to a zombie cause a zombie doesnt need to eat to live. Movie would be far more intresting if the whole world would be infected and I don't think you "get" that would add more spice to the flim.
Ya, I know those infected killed those soldiers too but also that nut case jim also went on a killing spree and when I mean "all" , I usually mean most.

It's like saying, I'm going to kill him cause he was messing with my wife but I don't mean literally kill him, just hurt him enough.

During the commerical for this movie on t.v. , it doesn't state that it only takes in Britain so therefore, when they mentioned a virus etc etc taking over, so I thought it would be the whole world just not 1 country. Unfortunely, I was wrong.

Please dont say I didnt "get" the flim just because I didn't like it and didn't add more info to my statements in my earlier post or I can just say your too dumb to understand my post.
Old 07-11-03, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
KillaBeez,

I'll second the "you don't get it" sentiment. I'll give you that they promoted it as a horror movie, and in a loose sense it is. I mean, what else are you going to call it if you must force a genre on it? Anyway, like it or not, I don't care. I just think you were too trapped up in your expectations to see the movie for what it was.
Old 07-11-03, 10:16 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LivingINClip
It seems to me that you just didn't "get" the film in any way.
Probably because there wasn't much to "get" in the first place.

Sad but true, the movie was a muddled piece of junk that couldn't decide if it wanted to be art or horror, and failed miserably trying to be both when it probably would have succeeded had it stuck to one of the two.
Old 07-11-03, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JestersTear
Sad but true, the movie was a muddled piece of junk that couldn't decide if it wanted to be art or horror, and failed miserably trying to be both when it probably would have succeeded had it stuck to one of the two.
And then there are those of us who think it succeeds in being an artistic achievement while trying something different (or at least hasn't been done for a while) in the "horror genre."

Oh, wait, I like this quote:

Originally posted by KillaBeez
It's like kids movie.
Riiiiiight. So then what would you classify as a children's film?
Old 07-11-03, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JestersTear
the movie was a muddled piece of junk that couldn't decide if it wanted to be art or horror
"Art" is a genre, eh? Do you also consider "classic", "black and white" and "silent" as genres?
Old 07-12-03, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just saw this. Liked it, but felt it coulda been better.

The first (digital video) half is absolutely awesome, terrifying in its "realness". Boyle created a real sense of desolation, both in the landscape and the characters.

The second half (35mm) was terribly "movie-like", full of cliches and plot holes. I'm no fan of the the military, but I find it hard to believe a group of professional soldiers would go so totally "Lord of the Flies" in a single month. I thought they were going to break out in tears because their eggs were spoiled.

I also didn't buy the character arc of the protagonist. He goes from clueless pacifist in the beginning to this Rambo-esque killer capable of taking out several trained soldiers in the end. I think a few more action scenes might have made this transformation a little more believable.

The most annoying thing is that the movie presents a lot of thought-provoking ideas (like good science fiction) but deflates them with the total stupidty of the characters (like cheesy horror). In trying to be both it really doesn't amount to either.

Still, I enjoyed the film quite a bit, but would perhaps have liked it better if the military camp was a brief stop on the characters journey. 8/10
Old 07-12-03, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The second half (35mm)
From what I understand, only the almost dream-like ending was shot on film and that the bulk of the 'soldier' sequences was still shot on DV.
Old 07-12-03, 08:33 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Corvin
And then there are those of us who think it succeeds in being an artistic achievement while trying something different (or at least hasn't been done for a while) in the "horror genre."
Making a movie that isn't scary isn't called "something different in the horror genre," it's called being a failure. And believe me, failing is not something that "hasn't been done for a while."

The movie wanted to be some great artistic statement about the human condition and what man would be like if most of the population was gone and they had to start over again (a rip-off of Stephen King's "The Stand").

Then for some reason it tries to turn into a horror film.

Both elements distracted from each other instead of complimented each other, and the whole story went to hell.

Those of you that think this is a good horror movie, are (no flame intended) total lightweights to the genre, because this movie is not scary in the slightest. It's bland, predictable, and totally devoid of anything remotely resembling original thought.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.