Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inglorious Bastards - Tarantino's Next Project!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Inglorious Bastards - Tarantino's Next Project!

Old 05-04-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
The way I see it, hes made all his movies for under $30m so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Plus a majority have turned a hefty profit.
Old 05-04-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichC2
The way I see it, hes made all his movies for under $30m so it shouldn't be a huge issue. Plus a majority have turned a hefty profit.
Grindhouse was originally budgetted at 53MM and rumored to end up costing about double that. It will probably make some money on DVD, but it's the first real flop Tarantino's had.
Old 05-04-07, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Grindhouse was originally budgetted at 53MM and rumored to end up costing about double that. It will probably make some money on DVD, but it's the first real flop Tarantino's had.
The thing is, that was two complete movies and only half was Tarantinos to run wild with. And from what I could tell, Death Proof had the lesser split of the budget.
Old 05-04-07, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 162 Posts
How did Grindhouse rocket into $100 million plus category since I read its budget was around Fifty million something? I heard its advertising bloated it a bit.

IB has been rumored for so dang long I will not believe it is happening until the reel rolls.
Old 05-04-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
The final budget for Grindhouse was near 67 million. To date, it's earned $24,097,342.
Old 05-04-07, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I asked Bruce Willis about it (he's listed as being a castmember) and he's heard nothing about it. So I'd agree that (at least for now) it's nothing but vapor.
Old 05-04-07, 03:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
The final budget for Grindhouse was near 67 million. To date, it's earned $24,097,342.
That's too bad; the wife and I have seen it twice now. I wish it had done better, but I can definitely understand why it didn't. Few (if any) true grindhouse films ever made big dinero. Usually just enough to make another flick! It's a cult thing.
Old 05-04-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I saw Quentin on Craig Ferguson and he mentioned that he was still working on finishing the script. He described it as a guys on a mission WW2 film with "Spaghetti Western elements."

This project is in serious trouble.

What no one has mentioned is that Quentin is Harvey Weinstein's boy. His career as a film maker free to do what he pleases is based on that relationship. Part of the Weinsteins/Miramax parting with Disney and forming their own company was, they knew that they were taking film makers like Quentin with them.

The Weinstein Co. is not on great ground. They've had a hand in a few hits, but very few, and mostly their films (be it actual productions/aquisitions/co-distribution deals) have fizzled or met only lukewarm profit. How this affects "Inglorious Bastards" is that they have not proven themselves to be big budget hit makers and "Bastards", by the looks of it, will require a big budget with no garuntee that it will turn profit. They are barely in the position right now to take the gamble, much less in the future if they keep going like they have. Knowing how long it takes Quentin from project to project, the Weisntein Co may not even be around or capable of this kind of film by the time he's ready.
Old 05-04-07, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...I created this topic 4 years ago.

= J
Old 05-26-08, 06:05 PM
Banned

From /film.com:

Quentin Tarantino Announces Inglorious Bastards For 2009!?!

"“Meh, believe it.”

Let’s go to the tape from Cannes! Shortly after a giggly French interviewer hands him a video camera and requests to “directed,” Quentin Tarantino is asked what his next film will be. Will it be Kill Bill 3? Kill Bill 4 (those silly Frenchies!) No, he says, it will be Inglorious Bastards…coming to Cannes in 2009?!?

“Oh, yeah, no. The next movie I’m doing is my WWII movie Inglorious Bastards. I actually just finished the first draft of the script and when I go home I’ll be finishing it up…and if all goes well [pregnant pause] I will be here 2009 at Cannes with my war film INGLORIOUS BASTARDS!!! [applause].”

So, yeah, this is an official announcement of sorts from QT, not a misquote. He’s being translated, but you can hear his words verbatim underneath. Now, is it humanly possible to make an epic WWII movie without an official cast from a script that still needs polishing, and, um, without all that mandatory WWII stuff and deliver it by this time next year? [crickets]

But over on Twitter, the consensus is “asshat.” Peter even calls the man a “compulsive liar.” But, um, dudes and ladies, Quentin Tarantino is writing/directing an R-rated war film that will kick your our asses and it finally sounds like he’s revved up, if obeying an alien calendar. If you’re going to keep him in your mental Gimp box, at least throw some confetti on top. I’m looking forward to it, and by “it” I mean Chinese Democracy.

Discuss: How pumped are you for Inglorious Bastards in 2012? "

As always with Tarantino take this with a grain of salt. I'll believe it when I see a trailer.
Old 05-26-08, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ah, that's funny a little over a year since the last reply to this thread and nearly five since the original post.
Old 05-26-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This has been in development hell for years. I know Tarantino likes taking his time, so I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 05-26-08, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'll believe it once it's cast and filming.
Old 05-26-08, 07:52 PM

According to imdb it's 2010

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0361748/
Old 05-26-08, 08:02 PM
Banned

Last time I heard Tarantino talking about it he gave off the impression it was gonna be a miniseries event on HBO. I guess thats not the case now. Wonder if it'll be two films or what.
Old 05-27-08, 03:25 PM

I’m looking forward to it, and by “it” I mean Chinese Democracy.
That line gave me a good laugh.
Old 05-27-08, 06:18 PM
Suspended

This will come out about the same time as Guns 'N Roses "Chinese Democracy" album.
Old 05-27-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can't wait to order tickets to see this while loading up my fresh copy of Duke Nukem Forever on my PC.
Old 05-27-08, 09:59 PM

Perhaps Guns and Roses could do the soundtrack....
Old 05-27-08, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts
I'm there
Old 06-19-08, 07:06 PM
Banned

From AintitcoolNews.com:

INGLORIOUS BASTARDS to be 2 separate films!!!

"Hey folks, Harry here - Some days when I open up my mail, I literally feel like the luckiest son of a bitch to draw a breath. In the last couple of weeks - Quentin Tarantino sat down with Enzo Castellari to do an interview with Enzo regarding his awesome exploitation Men on a Mission film... INGLORIOUS BASTARDS... yes, the same title as the film that Tarantino is apparently set to be making soon.

Now - there's been some movement on this project at long last. Quentin has been writing on it for over 6 years. And it was always about to be his next film. We've heard casting from Arnold, Sly & Bruce to Tim Roth, Sam Jackson, John Travolta and on and on and on... We've had interviews from those personalities talking about talking about talking with Quentin about the movie... but what's the real story?

Well at Cannes - Quentin began talking a bit about how he was set to start shooting. And yet - when? Where? What?

It seems years ago at Venice - Quentin sat Enzo Castellari down and discussed INGLORIOUS BASTARDS with him. And watched Enzo's film for the first time on the big screen. He'd seen it a few times as a younger man on Channel 5 - a mythical magical station that apparently ruled the known universe. I never had Channel 5. I had parents with friends with tons of 16mm film prints. I'm not complaning.

This interview is meant for Severin Films' DVD release of Enzo Castellari's INGLORIOUS BASTARDS and was conducted in Quentin's home in Los Angeles, where he was hosting Enzo during his stay in Los Angeles.

The first big thing we learn is that Quentin has been writing almost non-stop on INGLORIOUS BASTARDS - and that the premise is the basic jumping off point from Enzo's original - that you had a bunch of hardened criminals on a military transport during World War II - that got ambushed by the Nazis. Everyone but the criminals gets killed and the prisoners decide to make their way to neutral Switzerland - and must fight the Nazis and the Allies to get there. It's a true No Man's Land scenario.

Well, as Quentin has been writing this - he's done so much research into the actual events of World War II as well as the cinema of World War 2 - that the story kept growing and growing. It became too big for one film - so he's turned it into 2. That's right, INGLORIOUS BASTARDS will be two movies... not unlike KILL BILL.

So that's the big news that I found from the interview.

In addition - the casting we've all heard for all these years... wasn't casting, but conversations that Quentin has had, that have grown to mythic levels. For the first time, Quentin has decided not to write for the voice of actors he's decided to cast in advance. He felt that one can do that, but then they're limiting what they feel an actor can do with the part. He's decided to write the characters with no specific actor in mind. To allow the character to be everything that character can be and to actually find an actor to become that character. What a novel notion.

The opening sequence of Quentin's film is apparently going to be something extraordinary - as Enzo Castellari was geeking out big time just thinking about what Quentin had told him. Classic.

Also - during the interview - as Quentin began talking about Enzo's use of Slow Motion - Enzo's enthusiasm for the technique all but convinced Quentin to stage what he has called a sequence in his film - as an epic slow motion scene - but he was still debating it.

This is a great interview between these two - Quentin and Enzo talking about Fred Williamson is simply classic. The interview is nearly 40 minutes and very entertaining. It'll also be a great preview of where Quentin is beginning with his next project. The dvd comes out July 29th in a special 3 DVD edition. The film is a jewel. Really something special."
Old 06-19-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm down, but unfortunately it still doesn't say when it'll start shooting.. and without a cast, I'm guessing not for awhile.
Old 06-19-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
If it actually does come out, then we can wait and wait for "The Whole Bloody War."
Old 06-20-08, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A true master takes his time, and a lazy 'bastard' promises things and never delivers. I'm beginning to think more and more that Tarantino may be the latter instead of the former.
Old 06-20-08, 11:51 AM

I was okay with Kill Bill being split into two films. I personally could have sat through a four hour movie, but I know most people get shifty after 2 hours. The thing is now it's looking to me Tarantino is looking to maximize profits. It's a tactic that could end up backfiring on him as people get sick of shelling out money for two films, two separate DVD purchases, etc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.