Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inglorious Bastards - Tarantino's Next Project!

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Inglorious Bastards - Tarantino's Next Project!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
It still isn't 100% confirmed. If it doesn't go through, Tarantino can still use Morricone samples as he's done in Kill Bill & Death Proof.
I imagine for the Shoshanna/Zoller scenes, Tarantino will either get Morricone to do something in the vein of Cinema Paradiso OR use an actual track from CP.
Old 11-13-08, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Eli Roth is directing the film within a film.
Old 11-13-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Eli Roth is directing the film within a film.
Before the hate rains down, I'm quite intrigued by having someone else direct a film-within-a-film for once. It'll only amplify the experience.
Old 12-08-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Something I didn't decide to post till now: it's possible that, going by the theory that Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are the "true" Tarantino universe and Kill Bill, From Dusk Till Dawn, and the Grindhouse films were movies which existed in the universe, it's possible Inglorious Basterds takes place in the Tarantino universe in the past.

Case in point: Eli Roth's character, Donnie Donowitz, shares the last name of Lee Donowitz, the Joel Silver-esque producer in True Romance, which could designate Donnie as a relative. Much like other examples (i.e. the Vega brothers, Clarence Worley talking about his boss Lance), this is quite an interesting debate.
Old 12-09-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Especially if Lee got into making war movies because of his relative's part in the war.
Old 12-09-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Something I didn't decide to post till now: it's possible that, going by the theory that Reservoir Dogs, True Romance, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown are the "true" Tarantino universe and Kill Bill, From Dusk Till Dawn, and the Grindhouse films were movies which existed in the universe, it's possible Inglorious Basterds takes place in the Tarantino universe in the past.

Case in point: Eli Roth's character, Donnie Donowitz, shares the last name of Lee Donowitz, the Joel Silver-esque producer in True Romance, which could designate Donnie as a relative. Much like other examples (i.e. the Vega brothers, Clarence Worley talking about his boss Lance), this is quite an interesting debate.
That's a damned interesting theory there...

I seem to recall Quentin Tarantino laying down the rules for his movies.

Paraphrasing, he has his "real universe" where Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and True Romance took place. Characters that existed in this universe could know each other or be related, like Vincent and Vic Vega being brothers or Alabama from True Romance being mentioned in Reservoir Dogs.

And then he has his "movie universe" that includes NBK, FDTD, Kill Bill, and presumably Grindhouse. The movies in this universe are movies that exist in QT's "real" universe. These movies can share characters between other movies (like the sheriff in KB showing up in Grindhouse) as well as characters from other movies like Shaft (or Pei Mei in Kill Bill).

And Winston Wolf is the only character who can appear in both universes.

(I seem to recall QT also said that Jackie Brown isn't technically a part of either universe, and that it's part of Elmore Leonard's "universe.")
Old 12-09-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Wait, the Wolf appeared in both universes?
Old 12-09-08, 04:08 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought that the only character that could "move through both universes" was the Sheriff Earl McGraw character from Kill Bill, From Dusk Till dawn, Planet Terror, and Death Proof.
Old 12-09-08, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah...I can only remember The Wolf in Pulp Fiction..where else did pop up?
Old 12-09-08, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Winston Wolf has only appeared in "Pulp Fiction," but Tarantino has said that he could make appearances in films in either of his universes.

I remember reading an interview online somewhere where the man himself explained all of this... might have been on AICN, but a quick google doesn't seem to show anything.
Old 12-09-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah... here it is: http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=9830

At this point I asked Quentin about the Universes that his films take place in. To which Quentin broke it down like so…

JACKIE BROWN takes place in Elmore Leonard’s Universe… not his.

TRUE ROMANCE, RESERVOIR DOGS and PULP FICTION take place in Quentin Universe #1. This universe is REALER THAN REAL.

Meanwhile: His original NATURAL BORN KILLERS script and FROM DUSK TILL DAWN take place in Quentin Universe #2 which is the MOVIE MOVIE universe.

Now according to Quentin, there are specific rules that govern these two Universes of his. For example… Characters from Universe #1 cannot venture into Universe #2, but say Mr Blonde can appear in Pulp Fiction, and Clarence could appear in Res Dogs, but Vincent Vega could never meet the Gecko Brothers or Mickey and Mallory. And in Universe #2 those characters can’t venture into Universe #1, but can go between the films in their universe. Why is this important?

Well, KILL BILL takes place in the MOVIE MOVIE universe… where it is possible that Mickey and Mallory could exist… or the Gecko Brothers. BUT, also in the Movie Movie universe, characters from other movies… folks like BILLY JACK or SHAFT… well they exist in the Movie Movie universe as well. So if Quentin wanted Bruce Lee’s Chen Zhen from FIST OF FURY to appear in KILL BILL… then Chen Zhen could appear, not that Chen Zhen will appear… but it is within the realm of possibility.

GLORIOUS BASTARDS is in Universe #1, the REALER THAN REAL universe, but due to it being set in World War 2, I’d bet money that we won’t see Mr White here. But perhaps his granddad… hehehe…

Quentin then states that there is only ONE character in his Universe that can disobey these rules and that is THE WOLF. THE WOLF can go between the universes because while he exists in the REALER THAN REAL universe… He’s a MOVIE MOVIE character that just exists in reality. And I do not know if he’s in KILL BILL, but I think it odd that he point this out… unless it is possible.

Now, the characters in Universe #1… if they were to go see a movie… They would see the movies of Universe #2.
He explicitly says that Inglorious Bastards is set in "Universe #1" (the real-real universe), but this interview is dated 2001, so it's very possible things could have changed.
Old 12-10-08, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Where the fuck is The Wolf seen in besides Pulp Fiction? Is that him only using it as an example?
Old 12-11-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-11-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm thrown off by the clean-cutness of the "Basterds". From the script, you get the impression that they haven't bathed for days. Cool pics though.
Old 12-11-08, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dig the scar around brad pitt's neck.
Old 12-11-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Kruger looks very elegant as Bridget (I would even go so far as to say she has a rather German-Eva Peron-ish look), but when I was reading the script, I was expecting something similar to The Night Porter.
Old 12-11-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Pitt's got a total Warren Oates vibe going. Awesome.
Old 12-17-08, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-17-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This film is gonna kick so much ass.
Old 12-17-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Those pics are awesome. Dare I say, my most anticipated film of 2009.
Old 12-17-08, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
This and Watchmen are tied for the distinction. Can't wait.
Old 12-17-08, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Don't forget about Public Enemies.
Old 12-17-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't forget about Public Enemies.
I know, it's pretty close.
Old 12-22-08, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few on-set pics.
Old 12-31-08, 03:14 PM
Banned

We've now got a release date(!!!!) :

The Weinstein Company has announced that Quentin Tarantino's sixth movie Inglourious Basterds (the title is spelled as such by the studio and Tarantino), a WWII film starring Brad Pitt, Diane Kruger and Christoph Waltz, will be released on August 21, 2009.

Co-financed by The Weinstein Company with Univeral Pictures, the late summer release will put the movie up against New Line's Final Destination: Death Trip 3D and the comedy The Goods: The Don Ready Story.

Inglourious Basterds begins in German-occupied France, where Shosanna Dreyfus (Mélanie Laurent) witnesses the execution of her family at the hand of Nazi Colonel Hans Landa (Waltz). Shosanna narrowly escapes and flees to Paris, where she forges a new identity as the owner and operator of a cinema.

Elsewhere in Europe, Lieutenant Aldo Raine (Pitt) organizes a group of Jewish soldiers to engage in targeted acts of retribution. Known to their enemy as "The Basterds," Raine's squad joins German actress and undercover agent Bridget Von Hammersmark (Kruger) on a mission to take down the leaders of The Third Reich. Fates converge under a cinema marquee, where Shosanna is poised to carry out a revenge plan of her own...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.