DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Original Star Wars to Play at New Cine Capri in Phoenix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/297524-original-star-wars-play-new-cine-capri-phoenix.html)

RyoHazuki 06-07-03 04:51 PM

Original Star Wars to Play at New Cine Capri in Phoenix

Just wanted to Give a heads up to Dvd talkers in Phoenix. Star Wars: A New Hope is playing on June 26 at 7 pm at the new Cine Capri theatre. Tickets are on sale now. Those who attend will recieve a piece of the curtain from the original cine capri.

ArchibaldTuttle 06-07-03 07:21 PM

its also playing in madison july 28th (I think) at the memorial union, outside on the terrace, and its free

Trigger 06-07-03 08:06 PM

What? The New Cine Capri?? Where is that? How big is the screen? Is it open yet? The original Cine Capri was my favorite place to go see a movie - I actually cried when they tore it down. Why didn't I know there was a new one? I thought they had scrapped that idea.

Jay G. 06-07-03 08:48 PM

Are both of these the non-SE versions?

RyoHazuki 06-08-03 04:04 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
What? The New Cine Capri?? Where is that? How big is the screen? Is it open yet? The original Cine Capri was my favorite place to go see a movie - I actually cried when they tore it down. Why didn't I know there was a new one? I thought they had scrapped that idea.
Heres the comparison of the old one and the new one http://www.harkinstheatres.com/image...heatre_POP.jpg . Its not open yet. Its gonna be at the new Harkins Scottsdale 101 theatre. Tickets are on sale now. I am buying mine today. I think they will be showing the SEs.

Trigger 06-08-03 05:17 PM

Holy crap.... looks like quite an improvement. Too bad it's up towards snobbyville.

I caught a bit about this on local news yesterday and they said that the tickets for opening day were gonna be 50 bucks a piece for the Star Wars thing - proceeds going to spina bifida or something. I saw the SEs at the old Cine Capri (I think... I was kinda high at the time)...

Also saw all the Indiana Jones movies there, Dead Heat, Scrooged, Mission Impossible, Twister, Starship Troopers, Raising Arizona, and dozens of other movies I can't think of right now. I saw E.T. at the Kachina theater which was the other big huge screen in Phoenix... They tore that down to make the Galleria I think.

JoeyOhhhh 06-08-03 05:17 PM

Define original

Trigger 06-08-03 05:20 PM

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
Define original
Original meaning the one they tore down to build an office complex. It had been around for decades and was the largest screen in town. It could only show one movie at a time. I wouldn't mind having a piece of the curtain. I wasn't one of the looters from when they tore it down.

Troy Stiffler 06-08-03 06:06 PM

Where and when is this opening? Do they have a website?

For older films, I've been going to Madstone since they opened. They've had an excellent line-up so far this year.

Ralph Wiggum 06-08-03 06:10 PM

Ahhh, the new Cine Capri is finally here!

The original was easily the best theatre in a valley dominated by the multiplex.

RyoHazuki 06-08-03 06:11 PM

Its opening on the 26th at 7pm I think. Its in Saturdays Arizona Republic. And Trigger I dont think the tickets are 50 dollars for this showing. I think its a different one.

JoeyOhhhh 06-08-03 06:17 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
Original meaning the one they tore down to build an office complex. It had been around for decades and was the largest screen in town. It could only show one movie at a time. I wouldn't mind having a piece of the curtain. I wasn't one of the looters from when they tore it down.
I was referring to the title "Original Star Wars", not the theater.

RyoHazuki 06-08-03 11:15 PM

Bad news. They are sold out. If anyone knows anyone who has tickets, I'll help u hide the bodies if i can have one of their tickets.

BassDude 06-09-03 11:41 AM

From so UP to so DOWN... Star Wars at new Cine Capri...but it's sold out! :(

Oh well...nice ta have it back...in a way. Saw SOOOO much at that theater. There is a little model of the old theater at the Phoenix Art Museum... I pointed out where I waited in line to my new gal for such classics as Star Wars (4x there alone) Empire, Return, Aliens, Indy...and SO many more. Also oldies like Citizen Kane, Lawrence of Arabia.... Anyway...Hope the new one is nice...

One last comment...my DVD bud and I go to 20thSt and Camelback Best Buy every Tuesday. He works at the office complex that took the theater's place. I gotta drive right thru the "ghost" of Cine Capri when I pick him up to go get new films...

Brutal! :)

Trigger 06-09-03 02:05 PM

Originally posted by JoeyOhhhh
I was referring to the title "Original Star Wars", not the theater.
Well then - in that case, Original Star Wars would be Episode 4...

ChefWinduAZ 06-09-03 07:44 PM

I still can't believe they tore down the original Cine Capri. As a kid I saw The Empire Strikes Back (numerous times), Fantasia, and Flash Gordon there. PLus others I cannot even remember. I enjoyed going there. But I moved to California in 1983 and didn't return to AZ again until 1993 for a visit. At that time it was still there and I believe The Ago of Innocence was playing. When I finally moved back here in 1998 one of the things I was looking forward to doing again was seeing a movie at the Cone Capri. But it was not meant to be. :(

Darren Garrison 06-09-03 10:15 PM

What, no references to Greedo Shooting First and it not being the "original" Star Wars yet???

ChefWinduAZ 06-10-03 02:22 PM

Why was the original Cine Capri closed and torn down in the first place?

Spooky 06-10-03 03:41 PM

I'm suprised that no one has yet to answer the obvious question:

Is this the original 1977 Star Wars that they are showing or the 1997 updated version?

If it's the 1977 version, those $50 tickets might be worth the price...but I can't imagine Lucas letting anyone have a print of the ORIGINAL 1977 Star Wars for exhibition.

Anyone know?

RyoHazuki 06-10-03 03:55 PM

Originally posted by Spooky

Is this the original 1977 Star Wars that they are showing or the 1997 updated version?

If it's the 1977 version, those $50 tickets might be worth the price...but I can't imagine Lucas letting anyone have a print of the ORIGINAL 1977 Star Wars for exhibition.

Anyone know?

Well Im pretty sure its the SE. Its also only 8 bucks, but its also sold out.

sho kosugi 06-10-03 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Spooky

Anyone know?

To add further confusion, aren't there more versions. Like the 1980 re-release version or the version with Aunt Beru's real voice?

jeffkjoe 06-10-03 11:25 PM

If it's the original STAR WARS: A NEW HOPE, that'll be a rare treat.

BassDude 06-11-03 12:43 PM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Why was the original Cine Capri closed and torn down in the first place?
I think it was as simple as money. That corner got to be too valuable for a stand alone theater. Ritz Carlton, Biltmore, etc... With one showing every two hours or so, and most buying concessions before the film starts, they had a lot of down time. I'd see workers just kicking back behind the counters if I had ta leave the theatre for any reason.

I'm not sure who jumped first (Harkins selling or landowners offering to buy him out) but I think that's what sealed it's fate.

I understand the "new Cine Capri" is part of a multiplex...just off to the side and such... That way they have the steady stream of showings/concessions every few minutes that keeps the movie screening biz profitable.

This is all just MHO

chanster 06-11-03 01:48 PM

or how about the version that originally came out - STAR WARS.

No A New Hope tagline. That would be neat.

jeffkjoe 06-11-03 05:23 PM

The fact that this venue is sold-out indicates that most people MAY prefer the old to the new version.

Good for them!