Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why wasn't Neo able to punch superfast like he did in the first matrix?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was probably my biggest gripe with this movie. In the end of the first matrix he can move superfast, but in this one he could not. Why?
Old 06-06-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The agents were upgraded. Also, the Merovingian henchmen had skills as well.
Old 06-06-03, 08:33 PM
Cool New Member

It would have cost WAY too much in special effects.
Old 06-06-03, 10:12 PM

Because...he didn't have to
Old 06-06-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wizards helped neo punch like that in the first film then they died along with tank in the six months leading up to reloaded.
Old 06-07-03, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was so looking forward to seeing this and was highly disappointed. I was expecting some major ass-kicking. Oh well.
Old 06-07-03, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, this was a big stickling point in the film for me. TWO times, there is a door that is closing very slowly, and Neo wants to get through before it closes. So why the hell does he run at NORMAL SPEED? He can fly at supersonic speeds for God's sake. I would understand if the Merovingian or the Twins had slammed the door behind them or something, but they closed so slowly, it was like the steamroller scene from Austin Powers.
Old 06-08-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

its because they changed the rules for the spell haste in the 3.5 version of the core rulebook.........
Old 06-10-03, 02:45 PM

I think the Agents were upgraded. At the very beginning you see Neo fighting with just one hand. Until the Agent blocks him. Neo says "hmm, upgrades" and begins the 2 hand fighting.
Old 06-10-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That is movie magic. They probably should have done more superfast/actual speed shots. There were some moments in the burly brawl and the flying and that's about it.

I'd call this a mistake in editing or even writing, don't try to make it part of the show itself.
Old 06-12-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the Agents were upgraded. At the very beginning you see Neo fighting with just one hand. Until the Agent blocks him. Neo says "hmm, upgrades" and begins the 2 hand fighting.
They should have had him punch superfast and then they would block it and then he would say that, but he never does it to begin with. I think this was a major flaw besides the many other small ones. It seems the wachowskis didn't think very much about what exactly neo would be able to do.
Old 06-12-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jiggawhat
They should have had him punch superfast and then they would block it and then he would say that, but he never does it to begin with. I think this was a major flaw besides the many other small ones. It seems the wachowskis didn't think very much about what exactly neo would be able to do.
Yeah, clearly they haven't put a lot of thought into these movies.
Old 06-12-03, 08:38 PM

Yea, and if Neo really put his mind to it, he could just warp to different areas in the Matrix like Nightcrawler.
Old 06-12-03, 10:19 PM
Retired

Maybe he was just cocky and didn't use his "superfast" punches and other powers because he didn't need them?

Some people are really over analyzing these movies, but to each his own.
Old 06-13-03, 10:42 AM

Well, you could just pretend that those fights and door closings were super fast and they were just showing it in slow motion, but it just happened to look like normal speed.
Old 06-13-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts
I watched The Matrix again last night and after Neo punches super fast he looks really winded. True he was also straigned from his fight with Morpheus but it looks to be more related to the super speed. Also, in the Burly Brawl and after the fight with the three Agents early in the film, it looks like it takes a lot of consentration for Neo to do the really amazing stuff like flying. Again look at how winded he was after he dodged the bullets on the rooftop towards the end of the first movie. And after all the effort to kill the Merovingian's programs and the fact that he really isn't thinking straight in the second movie
Spoiler:
(he's more focused on his prophetic dreams about Trinity)
he didn't seem focused enough to work up the will to bend/break the rules enough to be able to run super fast towards the doors.

But we'll probably see Neo fight Smith super fast during their climactic battle shown in the trailer for The Matrix Revolutions.

Last edited by RocShemp; 06-13-03 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-16-03, 06:48 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember all, the Matrix is all in the mind! Neo would have to think superfast to do that, and it probably is tiring. it's not a physical barrier, he's just not that smart. as the oracle says: "not too bright, though."
Old 06-16-03, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by TCG
Remember all, the Matrix is all in the mind! Neo would have to think superfast to do that, and it probably is tiring. it's not a physical barrier, he's just not that smart. as the oracle says: "not too bright, though."

yeah, Keanu thinking pretty fast is always something that would wear him down..