Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION - Live action film from WETA

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WoW, who does not think this has HUGE Worldwide Blockbuster written all over it?

Ok, alot of people have no idea what this is, Hell, I barely know, aside from seeing my nephew play with the toys, I might never know this thing existed. BUT, I have a feeling this will change big time. I know in the Anime world, this series is about as big as it gets, and it is probably time for Anime to make the big crossover. Especially with Spirited Away taking the Oscar last Academy awards.

Of course, this will require the right talent. I think it would be very cool to see P. Jackson do it, but I find it really doubtful since he will most likely still be involved filming King Kong at the time this starts production.

What are your thoughts on this?

Am I totally off on thinking this will be huge?

Who would you like to see get involved with this project?
Old 06-25-03, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
A lot of people have no idea what the hell it is, including you and yet you still think it has HUGE worldwide blockbuster written on it?

Logic does not compute!

I know its a big Anime hit, but to crossover from that world to the mainstream world would be a massive crapshoot...and in order to success, probably strip it of all its uniqueness as an anime crossover.
Old 06-25-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, word from the anime community is really, you can't make this anime series into a live action 2 hour movie. Why not? You try fitting 26 episodes + 2 films into the time span of 2 hours for the live action. Not to mention all the mental guessing that the series brought.

I was a big fan of the series as it aired and followed it through, enjoyed it but even in the anime community it didn't become something everyon enjoyed. So no logic in saying the live action will bring in everyone especially since it's biggest followers are part of a small niche market.

Maybe you will like to read this thread about it:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...ght=evangelion

includes pictures. Anime is not going to make a mainstream crossover, especially to live action. Seeing big eyed, Big boobed cartoon characters is much different then seeing them try to work in live action.
Old 06-26-03, 02:11 AM

clemente, read a little more carefully, I said if it werent for my nephew, I wouldnt know about the series either. I have also seen alot of pre-production artwork for this, and that has also colored my opinion as well.
Old 06-26-03, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
this months Newtype has the cover devoted to this and with a leangthy article. Just the biggest problem is.. How do you sum up all that is Evangleion into a feature film and in live action? You surely are going to lose a lot in the transition. I'm a big evangelion fan. I like the pictures of concept art, but I still don't think this will be that jump to mainstream that anime will have. it's just not going to happen like that.

Also, anime series go through a sort of fad. Evangelion was a big thing back then. Now a days it's something that was in the past. there are series out right now that equel in the amount of attention that evangelion had and it's very simple to realize that this is how anime operates. The old is always classic and hell, if it's still running it will be something fresh, but for the most part, Eva is yesterdays news. Hell, if great series like Hellsing, Trigun, Cowboy bebop and so forth are stuff in the past blocking stuff like .Hack, Noir, Onegai teacher, etc. then a series as old as Eva might still have plenty of fans, but it's very old news.

this is not going to be the thing that bridges the gap between anime being a niche market to becoming more mainstream.
Old 06-26-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 06-30-03, 02:46 AM

Jack, you definitely seem to know what your talking about, something about the artwork and who it is being worked on as a film just gets me excited. Hopefully for good reason.