Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spielberg To Go 'Back To The Future'?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-06-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From IMDb:

Hollywood heavyweight Steven Spielberg has reportedly expressed an interest in reviving the beloved Back To The Future franchise. The Minority Report director has held tentative talks with studio Universal about making a fourth film - and it could be an animated adventure. According to website Ain't It Cool News, the radical departure from the format of the initial trilogy is to compensate for the lack of original regulars involved. Stars Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd, director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale have all declined to be a part of the mooted new film.
That is so sucks ... even it's Spielberg himself, he'll be ruining one of my favourite trilogy by doing the third sequel.
Old 06-06-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bttf.com/backtalk/20030605.shtml

If "true," it could possibly be the worst idea ever.

das

Old 06-06-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-06-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didnt' they learn thier lesson with part III?
Old 06-06-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't believe this for a second... Spielberg couldn't possibly think this would be a good idea... I refuse to believe my hero would even let this idea cross his mind... come on Stevie... prove me right and prove this story wrong!

MATT
Old 06-06-03, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by mdc3000
I don't believe this for a second... Spielberg couldn't possibly think this would be a good idea... I refuse to believe my hero would even let this idea cross his mind... come on Stevie... prove me right and prove this story wrong!

MATT
Well he IS doing Indy 4, so anything is possible.
Old 06-06-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
Well he IS doing Indy 4, so anything is possible.
At least Indy 4 is going to follow in the same vein as the previous 3, and include the original cast ...
Old 06-06-03, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Which reminds me, they started showing that cartoon again on Fox Saturday mornings. Kinda weird...
Old 06-06-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe Marty has to go to the future to find the cure for Parkinsons?

At least they wouldn't have to age Lea Thompson anymore.

I'd just make it like Smokey and the Bandit 3 and have Einstein skateboarding and traveling through time.
Old 06-06-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

. . . According to website Ain't It Cool News. . .

I've come to the conclusion that AICN is nothing more than a big rumor factory invented to create controversy, and to keep Harry Knowles in the rapidly dimming imaginary spotlight he set up for himself.

I just don't see this ever happening in the real world.
Old 06-06-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
Why is the DeLorian coming through the Stargate?

I agree. This idea stinks. The series is over. There's nowhere else to go.
Old 06-06-03, 01:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Morf
At least Indy 4 is going to follow in the same vein as the previous 3, and include the original cast ...
So Back to the Future probably would to, doesn't mean it should be made.
Old 06-06-03, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Spielberg just wants to do a complete remake and update it and change it from a Delorean to a new BMW or an Audi. He also wants to use Sean Williams Scott to play Marty and Ashton Kutcher to play his dad... then they'll say "Dude, where's my time machine?" and have to get their girlfriends to help them find it. Doc will be played by a CG einstein voiced by Robin Williams. Finally, he wants to change the ending (since this is a remake) of the original - instead of Doc coming back from the future and asking them to travel there with him to help their kids... they have to travel to the future where the earth is covered in water due to the melting of the polar ice caps... they then have to travel to the bottom of the sea that was once a city and ask the fairy godmother to help Doc become a real person instead of a CG character and then they'll all die there when the BMW's battery dies and they get stuck - 1500 years later, they get discovered by aliens who are also CG robots and they make Doc their king and put Marty and his dad into the Matrix to help fuel their robot civilization.
Old 06-06-03, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
Spielberg just wants to do a complete remake and update it and change it from a Delorean to a new BMW or an Audi. He also wants to use Sean Williams Scott to play Marty and Ashton Kutcher to play his dad... then they'll say "Dude, where's my time machine?" and have to get their girlfriends to help them find it. Doc will be played by a CG einstein voiced by Robin Williams. Finally, he wants to change the ending (since this is a remake) of the original - instead of Doc coming back from the future and asking them to travel there with him to help their kids... they have to travel to the future where the earth is covered in water due to the melting of the polar ice caps... they then have to travel to the bottom of the sea that was once a city and ask the fairy godmother to help Doc become a real person instead of a CG character and then they'll all die there when the BMW's battery dies and they get stuck - 1500 years later, they get discovered by aliens who are also CG robots and they make Doc their king and put Marty and his dad into the Matrix to help fuel their robot civilization.
You been smokin' sumodat "Too Much Time" haven't you?
Old 06-06-03, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by pixyboi
You been smokin' sumodat "Too Much Time" haven't you?
You mock me now, but just wait - I have an inside insider insidest super inside look at stuff like this. I'm 1337.
Old 06-06-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
You mock me now, but just wait - I have an inside insider insidest super inside look at stuff like this. I'm 1337.
I won't buy it until you have a super 1337 website and a band of mindless followers.. (and are fat and unshaven).
Old 06-06-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
So Back to the Future probably would to, doesn't mean it should be made.
Did you read?

...an animated adventure... Michael J Fox and Christopher Lloyd, director Robert Zemeckis and producer Bob Gale have all declined to be a part of the mooted new film.
Old 06-06-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
On a completely unrelated topic, someone in my little town of 10k is driving a DeLorean around. And I saw one in Tokyo two years ago. Cool, huh?

Anyway, if the movie is done well, make it. If it sucks, I won't watch it. It's that simple for me. I would rather have 10 stinker sequels out there that I don't watch, than miss one great one because a series was deemed too "great" to work with again.
Old 06-07-03, 11:48 AM
Banned

i heard about BTTF Part IV a few months ago but on upcomingmovies.com i you search for it it says that the project is dead but i heard it was gonna have real people and not be a cartoon.
Old 06-07-03, 02:02 PM
Banned

*sigh*

If you guys read the article very carefully, it will not be a sequel to Back to the Future III, it will be the fourth film of Back to the Future. With the guys planning it to make it into animated film, that will not go along with the BTTF trilogy. The animated film will be a standalone film.

Bob Zemeckis never wanted a Back to the Future IV. So to pay respect to Zemeckis, they will NOT make another live action BTTF IV even though they could get a different director. Michael J. Fox has parkinson's disease and Christopher Lloyd will end up turning the role down too but they could still do the voice overs for the animated movie though.

If it's going to be an animated movie, I have no problem with it so there is nothing to complain about.
Old 06-07-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
*sigh*

If you guys read the article very carefully, it will not be a sequel to Back to the Future III, it will be the fourth film of Back to the Future. With the guys planning it to make it into animated film, that will not go along with the BTTF trilogy. The animated film will be a standalone film.

If it's going to be an animated movie, I have no problem with it so there is nothing to complain about.
So, it's like "The Sum Of All Fears" where it's the fourth movie but has nothing to do with the previous movies. And this time it's animated. You're right...there's nothing to complain about.
Old 06-07-03, 05:10 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jarofclay73
So, it's like "The Sum Of All Fears" where it's the fourth movie but has nothing to do with the previous movies. And this time it's animated. You're right...there's nothing to complain about.
Lets put it this way.

The Matrix put out two movies already, and they already released an animated version of the Matrix which is "Animatrix".
Did you consider "Animatrix" part of the Matrix trilogy? No. Well, it's the same thing here.
Old 06-08-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Lets put it this way.

The Matrix put out two movies already, and they already released an animated version of the Matrix which is "Animatrix".
Did you consider "Animatrix" part of the Matrix trilogy? No. Well, it's the same thing here.
No it's not. The original creators were heavily involved with The Animatrix, writing several of the actual scripts and greenlighting the rest. It's considered Matrix "canon."

Virtually no one involved with the original Back to the Future trilogy would be involved with this, most importantly the original creators. Bad comparison.

I wish I had a screenshot of the train going over the ravine in Back to the Future III to describe what a fourth film would be.
Old 06-09-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I heard that the 4th film will take place in an alternate universe where people point walkie-talkies at one another instead of guns.

But seriously, a animated movie wouldnt hurt as long as it followed the TV series...because we know that thing didnt follow the movies closely.

As for a live action movie...well...who has a dead horse Speilberg can beat?

Has Spielberg ran out of movie idea's that he must dredge up old movies to do unneeded sequals to? *cough*JurassicPark4*cough*

Last edited by UAIOE; 06-09-03 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-09-03, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

All I can say is if Copernicus/Einstein isn't a wise-cracking clutz (voiced by Eddie Murphy or the like), I'm not going to see it. And there better be singing woodland animals!!

das

And a princess ...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.