Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What does Jim Cameron think of Terminator 3?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-03, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know he has nothing to do with the project, and I imagine he is angered at the studios that gave the greenlight when he essentially created the series.

I guess I just wanted to know if he has gone out and directly said anything about the project, his thoughts, etc.
Old 06-04-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not sure if Cameron has said something but Linda Hamilton has been quite vocal about T3 after deciding not to do it:

Terminator beauty Linda Hamilton has slammed the forthcoming third installment of the futuristic robot thriller as 'soulless.' Hamilton, who was married to Terminator and T2 director James Cameron, refused to star in the latest update of the robot saga when she read the script.
Here's the link.
Old 06-04-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not one to judge movies before seeing them, but this one looks pretty stupid to me. I'm still probably gonna go see it, but I don't have very high expectations.
Old 06-04-03, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cameron passes it on. Arnie didn't want to do it since Cameron wouldn't direct it.

But Cameron told Arnie "Just request something-million dollars and do it".

Thus, Cameron doesn't really care about it. He knows all about blood-sucking Hollywood.

Anyhow, Arnie is just doing it for money.
Old 06-04-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

There was a great interview with Cameron in issue 168 (June '03) of Empire Magazine. In it, he talks about why he decided not to do it himself. Later, when asked about his expectations, he says the following:

Are you looking forward to Jonathan Mostow's version at all?
Not really. There will inevitably be plenty of tension for me when I see Terminator 3. I will inevitably be far more judgmental on that movie than if I were an inncocent party. I'll try to be objective, really I will, but I think he'll have to pull out all the stops for me to be truly impressed. When someone else brings up your baby, it's always going to hurt.
Old 06-05-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Arnie did it for the money? Sounds like perfect political material to me.
Old 06-05-03, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

James doesn't have much room to talk here - I mean he took over the Alien franchise from Ridley Scott - probably for the better - but he did
Old 06-05-03, 12:47 AM
Banned

Originally posted by chanster
James doesn't have much room to talk here - I mean he took over the Alien franchise from Ridley Scott - probably for the better - but he did
Don't forget he also took the Piranha ropes away from... some guy.

And he also wrote Rambo II.
Old 06-05-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think he has room to talk, just as Scott had room to talk after Alien.

Sure, he wrote Rambo II. But look at all the great movies he's done. IMO he has the strongest portfolio of almost any direcotr, having made the world's most expensive movies. And the ones grossing the most.
Old 06-05-03, 03:31 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Parcher
But look at all the great movies he's done. IMO he has the strongest portfolio of almost any direcotr, having made the world's most expensive movies. And the ones grossing the most.
By that exact same standard, Martin Scorsese is one of the worst directors because big budget or small, most his films lose money. His biggest "hit" was Cape Fear.

Would you also say that Michael Bay is one of the elite basd on box office and movie budgets?
Old 06-05-03, 06:25 AM

It's ironic that you should mention Aliens, since that (and his good relationship with Ridley Scott) is exactly what Cameron discusses after T3 in the interview.
Old 06-05-03, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

to answer Face off's question, Michael Bay is one of the more talented directors. Of course, NOWHERE near the elite, ie. Mann, the Scotts, Scorsese.

But compared to william mallone, steven beck and the likes Bay is much better.

I think most just slam him for fun, as he does have talents. Cinematography, music, editing.

What doesn't he have? Talent for scripts. And more.
Old 06-05-03, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

to answer Face off's question, Michael Bay is one of the more talented directors. Of course, NOWHERE near the elite, ie. Mann, the Scotts, Scorsese.

I think most just slam him for fun, as he does have talents. Cinematography, music, editing.

Are you serious??? Have you seen Bad Boys?
Old 06-05-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually what I think he says is that he wasn't friends with Ridley for awhile after Aliens but their relationship got better over time..now they are friends. At least that is what he has said previously.
Old 06-05-03, 10:28 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Face/Off
Don't forget he also took the Piranha ropes away from... some guy.

that would be Joe Dante FYI, and ironically was nowhere as good as the original.
Old 06-05-03, 11:39 AM

Does anyone here honestly think Cameron would ever say "I think that person can do a better directing job than me." ?
I mean seriously who cares what he thinks. He admits he's biased against it before even seeing it just because it was someone else who directed.
Old 06-05-03, 12:32 PM
Banned

So his fifteen-cuts-per-second editing that kills all subtlety and emotion and actors' performances is a talent in your eyes?
Old 06-05-03, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by C Roberts
Does anyone here honestly think Cameron would ever say "I think that person can do a better directing job than me." ?
I mean seriously who cares what he thinks. He admits he's biased against it before even seeing it just because it was someone else who directed.
well he did proclaim himself as "the King of the World"
Old 06-05-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
I think that if Cameron doesn't like T3, he has the perfect right to bash it as it is his story. Granted, Cameron is a jerk, but the Terminator movies were his baby and if someone else takes over raising duties and totally screws it up, then you have a right to be mad.
That said, I will view T3 in much the same way as I view the Jaws sequels, speculative fiction, not canon. True, the studios can say its canon, but I don't have to!
Old 06-05-03, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a canon for Jaws?!
Old 06-05-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wait a minute. Gail Anne Hurd, Cameron's wife, wrote most if not all of the first Terminator movie. In fact she owned 50% of the property before she sold it to the WB. So Gail deserves a lot of credit, if not more than Camerson.
Old 06-05-03, 02:06 PM

I've never seen Cameron as anything less than the primary driving force behind all of the films he's directed (Piranha 2 doesn't count). Even if the script is not solely his own creation, there's an intensity and a willingness to push things (special effects etc.) over the limit visible in his films that I attribute to Cameron only.
Old 06-05-03, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I've never seen Cameron as anything less than the primary driving force behind all of the films he's directed (Piranha 2 doesn't count). Even if the script is not solely his own creation, there's an intensity and a willingness to push things (special effects etc.) over the limit visible in his films that I attribute to Cameron only.
"push things" as in, like making the Piranhas in "Piranha 2" leap out of the water and fly.
Old 06-05-03, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Face/Off
So his fifteen-cuts-per-second editing that kills all subtlety and emotion and actors' performances is a talent in your eyes?
Martin Lawrence is the king of subtlety. Maybe he puts 15 cuts per second in because he recognizes the limitations of his material, but sees the advatages of having certain actors in the film.

I think Cameron is handling this just fine. He doesn't have to pretend to be excited for the new movie. He just needs to keep his mouth shut and not trash it and the innocent people involved with it for not good reason.

Last edited by MrPeanut; 06-05-03 at 03:05 PM.
Old 06-05-03, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Żes, the editing in Bay's movies is awesome, but the story usually isn't.

Anyhow, you are bashing a SOMEWHAT talented director. No, not very talented, but somewhat.

The editing is awesome. It's a fact.

Look at the opening of the Rock, look at Armageddon the "bad news" montage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.