Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

NYTimes Article

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-03, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did miss the broken sunglass thing. I feel the broken sunglass thing was a nice homage to the Terminator movies, especially T2 when Arnold gets mad at the female guard when she breaks his sunglasses in the mental hospital.
Old 06-05-03, 11:06 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: NYTimes Article

To address the authors gripes:

1. I had on problem with the music. It wasn't great, it wasn't terrible.

2. I agree about Zion. That part of the movie was boring. I've only seen it once, and I bet it will drag even more in repeat viewings. Sure the orginal is slow in repeat viewings, it wasn't slow the first time though because you were trying to figure out what the hell was going on. There wasn't any tension in the Zion scenes at all, so they were just flat out boring IMO.

3. I agree with needing to show more of the machines bearing down. It would have added more of a sense of urgency to the movie.

4. I didn't like the "orgasm cake." That and "the kiss" were two of the dumbest scenes in recent memory.

5. Totally agree about the burly brawl. It was a cool action scene, but it really seemed to be their just for actions sake. Talk to the oracle, and oh here's a bunch of Smith's so we can finally put some action in the movie. It would have definitely been better if they'd given some reason for them showing up, other than to just try to take over Neo.

6. I think Neo is more than vulnerable enough. I mean he flew away for that fight. I was actually dissapointed that he wasn't more powerful. I was like "he's the one and all he can do is fly and bad ass kung fu?"

7. I had no problem with the architect scene. That plot twist (and neo's ability to feel machines in the real world) saved the movie for me.
Old 06-05-03, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only time in the Matrix there were serious guns was an actual attack on a military building. Every other time they were in the matrix they carried pistols only. I'd guess you are just hung up on guns, you better stay far from my house.

I was simply pointing out I thought the guns were used better in the first film...besides about 20 seconds of gun shooting by Trinity before the car chase and a little shooting by those twins during the car chase, there was nothing. That's still a big difference compared to the first one.

And no, I'm not infatuated with guns in real life, just consistency in one of the movie trilogies I enjoy.
Old 06-05-03, 12:08 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Just to be clear for me on the "cake" scene and the kiss.

Having seen the film twice now, Merovingian gave that woman the cake so he could follow her into the restroom and get her to give him a BJ right?

The wife knew this. The kiss scene was her telling Neo, Trinity, and Morpheus that Merovingian was the first "One" and that she was his "Trinity". After the fall of the first Zion, they both came into the Matrix full time. They once had the love that Neo and Trinity now share and she wanted Neo to kiss her so she could once again feel what it was like to have that love. Correct?

If this is the case, then I see nothing wrong with those scenes being in the film.
Old 06-05-03, 01:18 PM

i think you're off on the kiss and Merovingian being a former one. it was my understanding that the Merovingian and Persephone as well as all his henchmen are programs in exile......not and never where human
Old 06-05-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah if they were human and he was the first One they would be like 400+ years old by now.
Old 06-05-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
I thought Neo was "The One" each time?
Old 06-05-03, 01:37 PM

Wow.

Can we get a full page memo of the FANS who really like The Matrix: Reloaded.

So they can rebut this "memo" which seems more of a dislike in movie direction than anything else.

Perhaps the writer of the newspaper article can direct a better 300 million dollar movie?
Old 06-05-03, 02:52 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Jason asks,
I thought Neo was "The One" each time?
Were you led to believe this by the Architect scene, figuring that all those "other Neos" on the monitors were the previous "Ones"?

I think the various Neos (yelling "bullsh**," flipping the bird, etc.) were just a representation of the many thoughts that this One was having.

Besides, if every single predecessor looked exactly like Mr. Anderson, there would have been no question in the first movie that Morpheus was correct that "We've found him." Remember Cypher asked, "I keep wondering if Morpheus is so sure..."? Well, if every "integral anomaly" looked like the exact same person physically, all Morpheus would need to do is say, "I knew the previous One; he freed me. This guy Thomas A. Anderson looks exactly like him. Thus, it's pretty clear he is, in fact, the reincarnation of the original."

Right?
Old 06-05-03, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by inVectiVe
Were you led to believe this by the Architect scene, figuring that all those "other Neos" on the monitors were the previous "Ones"?

I think the various Neos (yelling "bullsh**," flipping the bird, etc.) were just a representation of the many thoughts that this One was having.

Besides, if every single predecessor looked exactly like Mr. Anderson, there would have been no question in the first movie that Morpheus was correct that "We've found him." Remember Cypher asked, "I keep wondering if Morpheus is so sure..."? Well, if every "integral anomaly" looked like the exact same person physically, all Morpheus would need to do is say, "I knew the previous One; he freed me. This guy Thomas A. Anderson looks exactly like him. Thus, it's pretty clear he is, in fact, the reincarnation of the original."

Right?
The emergence of Neo as the One is inevitable, but he doesn't carry the memory from the past versions of the matrix, nor do the other non-program entities sich as Morpheus, etc.

I guess.

Ths movie confused the hell out of me.
Old 06-05-03, 03:25 PM

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
The reason I think that Merovignan is a previous "One" is because Perisphone mentions that he was exactly like Neo once and she makes reference to how they used to be exactly like Neo and Trinity when they first "came here" as she put it. It wouldn't matter if it had been 400 years or 600 years. The Architect mentions that the "One's" code will be reabsorbed by the matrix so it's not too far off from the mental projection taking a complete digital form and leaving the body behind. Once living inside the matrix, there would be no aging.
Old 06-07-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...much like how Smith appears to exit the Matrix, Neo could permanently enter the Matrix...