Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When will they make a COMPLETE movie about ENTIRE history of THE BEATLES?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This I don't understand at all. The closest they came was with Backbeat, but that only covered their very early years based in the Hamburg, Germany phase of the Beatles' early history. Wouldn't a full length film about the entire history of the band be relevant? After all, every time a best-of collection is released, it becomes one of the biggest sellers of the year (1, released in 2000, was the #1 album of the year in sales)!

I think The Beatles are fascinating - from their meteoric rise in February, 1964 after stepping out of the plane in New York, to Ed Sullivan, to 1966 and "The Beatles are bigger than Jesus" remark from Lennon, to the radical changes in their appearances (especially Lennon) by 1967, to the demise of the band, and perhaps some footage to what happened to all four after the disbanding. You've got all four mates who had very successful solo albums and singles (not something you see every day), some scandal (naked bodies of Lennon and Ono on their album cover), and much tragedy (the death of Lennon).

A film about all this would be a monster, and it should come from someone like Curtis Hanson or Steven Speilberg so that its done right. What's the hold-up?
Old 06-02-03, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is called the Beatle anthology. No holly wood scripts or people coming to this forum to complain. go out and buy it now! For around 70 bucks and 5 discs, dts sound, and an extra disc as bonus features.
Old 06-02-03, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's always the Rutles.
Old 06-02-03, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am surprised there hasn't been an attempt to turn their life into a film. Do they control the rights to depictions of their life? Is that why Backbeat was only about their VERY early years?
Old 06-02-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It seems like a situation where you would be biting off WAAAAYYYYY more than you could chew if you tried to make the story of the Beatles into a movie. It would have to be like four or five hours long and would be epic if you wanted to get all of the important stuff in there. And even then, you would have die-hard fans bitching that this or that part wasn't shown in the film. I would love to see it done (and hopefully done well) but I just think some filmmaker who takes this on is just one masochistic person.
Old 06-02-03, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Plus how are we gonna get 4 look alikes?
Old 06-02-03, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Rypro 525
Plus how are we gonna get 4 look alikes?
They did a decent job casting for Backbeat.
Old 06-02-03, 04:39 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I'd like to see a movie about the partnership, and eventual falling out between Paul McCartney and Michael Jackson. They could call it Say Say Say.
Old 06-02-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When you think of it, I would bet that Paul McCartney has stepped in and said No! to a feature film about his life. The Beatles are the biggest band in history, yet they make a feature film based on the life of Jerry Lee Lewis?!
Old 06-02-03, 04:43 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, Jerry Lee Lewis did marry his underage cousin. That's a lot more cinematic than a Japanese conceptual artist.
Old 06-02-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not to bash Jerry Lee Lewis, or Ritchie Valens, or Buddy Holly, or The Doors...but where's The Beatles? That's all I'm saying...and if its because of the needed perfectionism to get it right, then I say, okay. That's a good reason not to do it, because it should not be handled in the haphazard way Great Balls of Fire was handled. Too many inaccuracies in that one.

And poor Little Richard. All he got was a Made-For-TV movie.
Old 06-02-03, 07:21 PM

First of all, you'd have to wait for Paul and Ringo to die :P

But like someone said, why do a stupid work of fiction about a band who's carrer was already so well covered in documentaries? Just look at that John and Yoko movie and tell me if you still really want a film about them afterward.

For a fictitious band history, check out "The Rutles: All you need is cash" by Eric Idle, otherwise buy Anthology.
Old 06-03-03, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After watching "The Temptations" mini-series I would say that an epic story about the Beatles would have to be in a mini-series format. You can have at least 3 hours devoted to telling your story. And, besides, is there source material out there that covers the Beatles from beginning to end?
Old 06-03-03, 09:59 AM
Banned

but why? what good could possibly come out of it? The Paul camp would say it's bias against Paul, the Geroge camp would say it's biased against George, etc.

We have anthology, nuff said.
Old 06-03-03, 10:55 AM

For the most exhaustive video portrait, I like Anthology tripled with the early non authorized "The Complete Beatles" and if you can get it cheap "The Long and Winding Road" dvd set.(not worth more than $30.00) A look at the Beatles career, as told by people like: Julia (John's sister), Alf the chauffer, the original manager, etc. etc....

For those keeping score, I saw all of these (some good, some horrible) when they debuted. All from imdb. (I'm not including that Beatlemania movie -stage show) Did I miss any others?

I Wanna Hold Your Hand (1978)
If they missed Beatles' first appearance in the U.S.A. they would hate themselves for the rest of their lives! So they (six young girls from New Jersey) set off even though they don't have tickets for the show! The journey is full of surprises and misfortunes but the young ladies are determined to reach to their idols...

Birth of the Beatles (TV) (1979)
A Dick Clark Production..noticeable for attention to some minute Beatle details in the dialog/scenery. Story begins with a conversation between Brian and John just before their trip to America and Ed Sullivan. We the flashback to the very beginning and events up until then.

Stephen MacKenna .... John Lennon
Rod Culbertson .... Paul McCartney
John Altman (II) .... George Harrison
Ray Ashcroft .... Ringo Starr
Ryan Michael .... Pete Best
David Wilkinson (I) .... Stu Sutcliffe
Brian Jameson (II) .... Brian Epstein
Wendy Morgan (I) .... Cynthia Lennon
Eileen Kennally .... Aunt Mimi
Alyson Spiro .... Astrid
Nigel Havers .... George Martin

John and Yoko: A Love Story (TV) (1985)
Details the lives of John Lennon and Yoko Ono, from before their first meeting to their rise to stardom.

Mark McGann (I) .... John Lennon
Kim Miyori .... Yoko Ono
Kenneth Price .... Paul McCartney
Peter Capaldi .... George Harrison
Phillip Walsh .... Ringo Starr
Richard Morant .... Brian Epstein
Rachel Laurence .... Cynthia Lennon

The Hours and Times (1991)
A fictionalized account of what may have happened when John Lennon and Brian Epstein went on holiday together to Spain in 1963.

David Angus (I) .... Brian Epstein
Ian Hart .... John Lennon

Backbeat (1993)
A pre-fame Beatles head for the seedy clubs of Hamburg in search of success. Word soon gets out and they become increasingly popular, especially with the girls. The band meet up with a group of trendy German beatniks, one of whom (Astrid Kircherr) bass guitarist Stuart Sutcliffe falls in love with. Whilst best friend John Lennon can only watch, Sutcliffe has to choose between rock 'n roll and a new life in Germany.He and the rest of the group have to make some decisions.

Stephen Dorff .... Stuart Sutcliffe
Ian Hart .... John Lennon
Gary Bakewell .... Paul McCartney
Chris O'Neill (IV) .... George Harrison
Scot Williams .... Pete Best

The Linda McCartney Story (TV) (2000)
Should be titled the Paul and Linda McCartney Story

Gary Bakewell is really trading in on his resemblance to Paul McCartney being as this is the second time that he has played the man. He also does a credible job at it.The title of this movie is a little deceiving as it doesn't really tell the story of Linda, but more about her marriage to Paul. There is only one mention in this movie of her famous vegitarianism and no mention at all of her animal rights advocacy. It is a shame as these are some the things that defined Linda as a separate entity from Paul.The love story between them is, as always, inspiring and Elizabeth Mitchell does a good job as Linda. While the flow of the story is a bit disjointed, there are some funny moments in the script as well as some revelations about her pre-Paul life (sexual encounters with Jim Morrison and Mick Jagger) that are interesting none the less. If you want the real Linda story though, you may have to get it from one of the bios written about her but not this movie.

Elizabeth Mitchell (I) .... Linda McCartney
Gary Bakewell .... Paul McCartney
Tim Piper (I) .... John Lennon
Matthew Harrison (III) .... Mick Jagger
Aaron Grain .... Jim Morrison
Chris Cound .... George Harrison
Michael McMurtry .... Ringo Starr
Jane Sowerby .... Chrissy Hynde

In His Life:The John Lennon Story (TV) (2000)
From a boy with a dream to the Beatle who rocked the world.A film about the early life of the rock musician and his burgeoning career as a member of the Beatles.

Philip McQuillan .... John Lennon
Blair Brown .... Mimi Smith
Christine Kavanagh (I) .... Julia Lennon
Gillian Kearney .... Cynthia Lennon
Daniel McGowan .... Paul McCartney
Mark Rice-Oxley .... George Harrison
Lee Williams (II) .... Stuart Sutcliffe
Jamie Glover .... Brian Epstein
Christian Ealey .... Ringo Starr
Scot Williams .... Pete Best
Pálína Jónsdóttir .... Astrid Kirchherr

Two Of US (TV) 2000
John Lennon and Paul McCartney have a chat about their lives, and if "The Beatles" will ever reunite. The movie takes place in 1976.

Aidan Quinn .... Paul McCartney
Jared Harris .... John Lennon
Old 06-03-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
So Ian Hart, Scott Williams and Gary Bakewell have all played Beatles more than once. That's pretty cool.
Old 06-03-03, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sean Williams Scott as John Lennon.
Jason Biggs as Paul McCartney.

Startling resemblances. The Gen-X version
Old 06-03-03, 01:41 PM

Or maybe
John - Edward Norton
George - Orlando Bloom
Paul - Tobey Maguire/Elijah Wood
Ringo - Adrien Brody/Ben Stiller
Pete - Wes Bentley/Joaquin Phoenix
Linda - ?
Cynthia - ?
Brian - ?
Yoko -Margaret Cho
Old 06-03-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
There's way too much story to fit into a two to three hour movie. A "complete" Beatles tale would at the very least have to be a 10-part miniseries, and even then it would be missing out on too much juicy material.

You could make incredible films just dealing with their summertime retreat with the Maharishi or the Summer of 1966 "Bigger Than Jesus" brouhaha.

Watch The Beatles Anthology and be content. It's better than any fictionalized account could be. And Backbeat is a really good movie, flawed at parts but enjoyable.
Old 06-03-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
How about a "Paul is dead?" movie?
Old 06-04-03, 04:21 PM
Banned

The Two of Us thing wasn't too bad, Backstreet was pretty good too.
Old 06-08-03, 09:37 AM

Jude Law is trying to make a film starring himself as Brian Epstein. He's been trying to get this off for a couple of years.

http://film.guardian.co.uk/News_Stor...399088,00.html

Law casts himself as troubled Beatles manager

Natural Nylon, the British production company that has been conspicuous in its failures to date, with James Joyce biopic Nora and lame gangster flick Love, Honour and Obey to its name, is to produce a film about the troubled Beatles manager Brian Epstein.
Gossip site therumour.com reports that the production company owned by Jude Law, Sadie Frost, Ewan McGregor, Jonny Lee Miller and Sean Pertwee has turned its attention to the Beatles manager Brian Epstein who died aged 33. Jude Law will take the read role of the homosexual Epstein, who died of a suspected drugs overdose in 1967 when the band were at the height of their fame.

Law found fame playing Oscar Wilde's lover Bosie in 1997's Wilde. The actor told reporters he is more than happy to take on another homosexual role. "It's a great role," he said, "and as with every heterosexual man, every homosexual man is different, and they approach their sexuality very differently."

The story of Epstein's colourful life has been previously presented in Christopher Munch's 1991 feature, The Hours and Times. A fictionalised account of what may have happened when John Lennon and Epstein went on holiday to Spain in 1963, Munch's film focused on rumours that Epstein was in love with Lennon.

Law is in big demand since his Oscar-nominated role in The Talented Mr Ripley. Variety reports today that the British actor is considering an offer to star alongside Tom Hanks in Sam Mendes depression-era epic, The Road to Perdition. The film, due to start shooting in early 2001 concerns a hitman who wreaks revenge on the murderer of his wife and son.

Furthermore, as we reported last week, Law and Natural Nylon are also eyeing a biopic of Elizabethan poet Christopher Marlowe. Although Johnny Depp is rumoured to be interested in the lead role, Law is also expected to star.

Currently in Los Angeles working on the Stanley Kubrick-scripted A1 with Steven Spielberg, Law is one of Hollywood's hottest British exports. It seems that the actor will soon be facing a decision whether to base himself and his family in California, or remain at their Primrose Hill home in North London and continue a commitment to low-budget British productions.
Old 09-22-07, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jeez, its been four years already. What does it take to get a Beatles movie or HBO mini-series (which, in my opinion, is the same if not better than a movie) off the ground?

There are quite a few movies already about "the birth of" the Beatles, but none go beyond the announcement that "I Want To Hold Your Hand" went #1 in America.

Jude Law as Brian Epstein would be brilliant. But I fear he may be getting a little long in the tooth. Brian died at 32, after all.
Old 09-22-07, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Wow that's some bad casting suggestions
Old 09-22-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Like they said 4 years ago, who needs this when you have The Beatles Anthology? I don't want to see actors playing the Beatles considering they were probably some of the most-filmed people in the history of the world. The real thing is much more lively than any reenactment could be.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.