Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spellbound

Old 06-02-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spellbound

Finally got around to seeing this tonight. It's a documentary about 8 kids and their path to the spelling bee championships in D.C. It's a fascinating film. It's more gut wrenching and stressful than anything I've seen recently. Watching the kids up on stage, when you know where they've come from and how hard they've worked, really ads a new dimension to something that most peole probably think is a silly event. I know it's in limited release, but if you have access to it, this is a must see and one of the best films of the year.
Old 06-02-03, 10:05 AM

really ads a new dimension to something that most peole probably think is a silly event.
<bold emphasis mine> Teehee. I bet you went pretty far yourself
Old 06-02-03, 11:34 AM

Originally posted by hmurchison
<bold emphasis mine> Teehee. I bet you went pretty far yourself
Well, I'd had a few beers afterward, so my typing was a little lax.

That being said, this is a fantastic film. Don't let my spelling sway you.
Old 06-02-03, 11:53 AM

I, too, am really looking forward to this little gem of a documentary. The official site says that the VHS and DVD will be released in 2004. Until then, try to catch it in some selected cities. It opened in theaters on April 30th 2002. Check here for some of the festivals where it's still playing:

http://www.spellbound.tv/festivals.html
Old 06-02-03, 02:19 PM

Thanks for the light heart monkeyboy. I was just joking. Who am I to talked I missed on the word "develop" back in the 3rd grade in the Spelling Bee. I was devastated

I'll check it out.
Old 06-02-03, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent film. Makes you feel hope that the future generation will have smart leaders (not just the fools in The Real Cancun)
Old 06-02-03, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Pants
Excellent film. Makes you feel hope that the future generation will have smart leaders (not just the fools in The Real Cancun)
Unless it's that spastic kid, I hope he's not running things.
Old 06-03-03, 10:12 AM
Banned

Originally posted by monkeyboy
Unless it's that spastic kid, I hope he's not running things.
He's going to grow up to be a mad scientist or something. He'll genetically engineer a four assed mongoose.
Old 06-07-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I loved the first half of the film where we got to meet the kids
and their families.

The second half (at the national bee in D.C.) was much less interesting in my opinion.

Still recommended.
Old 07-14-03, 12:24 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed this little gem. I had the fortunate ability to catch it this past Friday at the newly renovated theater in Ambler, PA, and April (the girl from Ambler, naturally) was there as a special host. She stuck around for a little Q & A afterwards (look for the DVD release to include features on anywhere from 3-6 additional kids), and like a complete dork I got her autograph. Its still out there, check it out if you can!
Old 07-14-03, 12:47 AM
Uber Member

I missed "embarrass" in a spelling bee once. Which was pretty ironic.

Did the bees use the standard format? I think the contestants should all have to spell the same words, and people are eliminated as they mispell a word until the last person is standing. Most of the time, everyone gets their own word, or the word the last person missed. That seems more like a game of luck than of skill.

Edited to add: I also came in here thinking this was about the Hitchcock movie by the same name. I just finished Rebecca and this one's next.
Old 07-14-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the movie is great--both halves.
Old 07-14-03, 08:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
another endorsement - great movie! go see it
Old 07-14-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I especially enjoyed the Salvador Dali dream sequence.
Old 07-14-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this about a month ago, and loved the hell out of it. I agree that it slowed down a little after the "meeting the families" part, and before the actual bee got running, but when it came down to the wire, I was crunched up into a little ball. Way more suspenseful than most thrillers. Go see it!
Old 07-14-03, 12:50 PM

I finally, FINALLY, got to see this documentary! I'm a huge doc fan (with 150 doc DVDs in my collection thus far), but this was the first time I've been able to see one in the theaters. Needless to say, I now realize just how much I've been missing out on by seeing documentaries by myself -- but there's little way around this when I live in a relatively small city where the local 20+ screen theater insists on 4 screens of 2 Fast 2 Furious and can't spare one for an art house / indie flick. In any event, I thought Spellbound was a great flick -- it was, in fact, one of the most humorous documentaries I've seen of late. Deep, not really. Thoroughly entertaining, definitely.

Funny Documentaries:

* Dark Humor
1) American Movie
2) Crumb
3) The Man Who Bought Mustique
4) Idi Amin Dada

* Just Plain Funny
1) The Sweetest Sound
2) Spellbound
3) Fishing with John (semi-mockumentary)