Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

All hypocrites Unite! Actors you despise but like some of their movies

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

All hypocrites Unite! Actors you despise but like some of their movies

Old 06-01-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
I hate Jennifer Lopez, but I still love Out of Sight.

I do not hate her per say but I know what you mean. Our of Sight was fantastic. Great chemisty in the trunk of the car.
Old 06-01-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to be so harsh, but Rocky_Stallone, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 06-01-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 814 Likes on 569 Posts
Originally posted by caiman
Sorry to be so harsh, but Rocky_Stallone, you have no idea what you're talking about.
Cut him some slack, he's a Sly Stallone fan... he obviously has some serious issues.
Old 06-01-03, 07:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by caiman
Captain Obvious to the Rescue!!!

On topic:
Kevin Costner is my pick. I hate the guy but JFK is one of my favorite movies of the 90's.
I'd pick Stallone too but I hate all his movies...
Old 06-01-03, 08:11 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Tom Hanks: Find him mind-bogglingly overrated, yet Saving Private Ryan was still worth watching. I just wish he'd go back to doing stuff like Dragnet - but then again, if I got nominated for an Oscar for every drama I made, I'd stick with that genre as well.

Natalie Portman: Haven't seen much of her work, so "despise" is a bit harsh, but her character in Heat got on my nerves. Just not enough to ruin the entire movie.

Edit: OK, so by writing this I think I've made clear where I stand on the "hypocrisy" issue. But c'mon folks, is it really fair to "argue" with somebody who's suspended and can't defend himself?

Last edited by inVectiVe; 06-01-03 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-01-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dances with Wolves, Bull Durham, JFK, and Field of Dreams are brilliant films that Kevin Costner actually managed to make them even better. The Untouchables is great too but mostly because of Connery, De Niro, and Garcia
Old 06-01-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Mark Wahlberg - I think he sucks as an actor (does he have to be so whiny in most of his roles), but I enjoy many of his movies

Another vote for Kevin Costner - plays the same role every movie and yet JFK and Field of Dreams are still good movies.
Old 06-02-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by inVectiVe
Tom Hanks: Find him mind-bogglingly overrated, yet Saving Private Ryan was still worth watching. I just wish he'd go back to doing stuff like Dragnet - but then again, if I got nominated for an Oscar for every drama I made, I'd stick with that genre as well.

Natalie Portman: Haven't seen much of her work, so "despise" is a bit harsh, but her character in Heat got on my nerves. Just not enough to ruin the entire movie.

Edit: OK, so by writing this I think I've made clear where I stand on the "hypocrisy" issue. But c'mon folks, is it really fair to "argue" with somebody who's suspended and can't defend himself?
First things first -- I think this thread has kind of evolved into a discussion of "what movies do you like even though they feature an actor you despise?" I don't really like the thought of an entire thread being devoted to simply bashing one person's opionion, so my interest lay in the situations where a terrible actor or actress nevertheless could not ruin a given film for you.

Second -- Tom Hanks overrated? You wish he would go back to making high-quality movies like Dragnet? Maybe there was some hidden sarcasm tag that I missed there... you would really rather he made more films like Joe Versus the Volcano or Bachelor Party? I like Tom Hanks as a comedic actor as well, but his occasional SNL turn will suffice for me.

And as for Natalie Portman -- OK, I confess, I have not seen much of her work, but she was great in The Professional. And I think it is important to note that she was not responsible for the train-wreck that is Star Wars I & II.

[lucasbash]We have George to thank for that.[/lucasbash]

I don't remember her performance in Heat, but that could be because she couldn't even be seen in the film at all sandwiched between DeNiro and Pacino's massive egos. Hell, Dame Edna could have played a pivotal role in Heat and all anyone would ever say was, "God, Pacino is overracting in this one. And whatever happened to Bobby DeNiro?"
Old 06-02-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

totally disagree with rocky.

i really can't stand tom cruise but loved jerry maguire. hate russell crowe but enjoyed a beautiful mind.
Old 06-02-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 249 Posts
I hate Stallone but I like Nighthawks. Not a big fan of Rocky, but I think I can watch it again. I wouldn't touch any of his other films with a 10 foot pole (and that includes Copland which I find to be one of his worst performances in a film that's pretty mediocre).

I hate Sandler but like Punch Drunk Love.
Old 06-02-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hate Richard Gere with a passion but loved chicago and believed he got screwed out of an oscar.
Old 06-02-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 332 Likes on 217 Posts
You can like "the whole" even if you don't like one of the parts. Saying you can't hate an actor but still like one of his movies is illogical because a movie is a lot more than one actor.

tasha
Old 06-02-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
I dislike Tim Robbins, but I really liked The Shawshank Redemption (1994).

I dislike Adam Sandler, but I enjoyed The Wedding Singer (1998).
Old 06-02-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Despise is a strong word, but Brad Pitt would be one choice..

But I liked [and own] Se7en, Fight Club, Ocean's Eleven, Twelve Monkeys & Snatch.
Old 06-02-03, 04:00 PM

Val Kilmer is the one I can't stand. I hated him in Top Gun, Real Genius, but I thought he was very good in The Doors and The Saint.
Old 06-02-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Stallone is a good example and like I said in the other thread where this idea first came up, god help me, I enjoy Rocky IV and Over the Top. But my interest in both films has absolutely nothing to do even remotely with anybody's acting jobs in those films. I like them because they are cheesey fun that I saw as a kid when I didn't really know any better. Today they hold an entertainment value close to my heart.

I guess Adam Sandler would be another choice for me. I cannot generally stand the man's films. I did enjoy Happy Gilmore and Punch-Drunk Love though. But it really ends there with my tolerance of Sandler. I think Punch Drunk Love is a good example of his this idea can work. I generally think Sandler shows no acting talent in his films, but given the right material and a director to push him, he gave a good performance in my opinion.
Old 06-02-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So does anyone know how long R_S is suspended for?

On topic: don't like Halle or her berries but I enjoyed Swordfish and X2.
Old 06-02-03, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by borisdisco
Val Kilmer is the one I can't stand. I hated him in Top Gun, Real Genius, but I thought he was very good in The Doors and The Saint.

How in the world can you hate Real Genius? It is a moral imperative to like it.
Old 06-02-03, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kal Jedi
So does anyone know how long R_S is suspended for?

On topic: don't like Halle or her berries but I enjoyed Swordfish and X2.

Not sure ask his stalker,
Old 06-02-03, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Not sure ask his stalker,

I thought I saw him in here somewhere........

Another actor for me would be John Travolta - He was great in Pulp Fiction, Face-Off, and Get Shorty but I just detest his smugness that he seems to carry around with him.
Old 06-02-03, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think for me it would be the following:

Not a big fan of Clooney as a person, but I dug O Brother, Where Are Thou?, Ocean's 11, and lots of his other films.

Same for Richard Gere...the guy annoys the crap outta me, but he was brilliant in Chicago, and I enjoyed the movie Primal Fear (he must have been paying his dues for Unfaithful when he got snubbed for an Oscar bid this year...)

On the opposite side, Ed Norton is one of my favorite actors, but I think I'd rather have bamboo shoots shoved under my fingernails before watching The Score again.
Old 06-03-03, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If there is an actor in a movie who has little or no ability or range as an actor, I think that it can ruin the movie. However, I don't think it always does, so I suppose that is one way of looking at the topic of this thread.

However, I can't help but look at it from another perspective. The one name that came to my mind when I read the subject of the thread is Barbra Streisand. As a person, I loathe her with every fiber of my being. That said, many of her older movies (particularly the musicals, such as Hello Dolly) are among my all-time favorites, and not just in spite of her performances, but because of them. In other words, she is a contemptible human being, but she is (or at least was, at one time) a decent actress and singer.
Old 06-03-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Doesn't seem like such a difficult question to me. You like the way a character was written and directed, but they just happen to be played by an actor you hate. Seems simple enough.

About the only ones I can name offhand are

Dispise Russell Crowe, but loved Gladiator.

Couldn't care less for Ben Affleck, but Dogma is one of my favorite films.
Old 06-03-03, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by NitroJMS
I hate Jennifer Lopez, but I still love Out of Sight.
Yep. Also Anaconda is kinda a guilty pleasure for me as well. But that's it for sure.
Old 06-03-03, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Tarantino
Hate Hugh Grant but loved About a Boy~
Agreed 100%. Can't stand the guy, but the movie is brilliant and it's the only part I've ever seen him in that he seemed "right" for.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.