Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Actors suffering from the "Julia Roberts Syndrome"

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Actors suffering from the "Julia Roberts Syndrome"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Pacino started being loud in Godfather 2

"In my home!!! Where my wife sleeps!!!!"

- still a great performance/great movie

I wonder if every actor repeats him/herself but we just don't catch on until we've seen them in a lot of movies.
Old 06-01-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
Ah, I see what you're saying, you're saying that actors playing the same damn characters in almost every film....
Well, I think what we're saying is that no matter what roles certain actors/actresses pick, they seem to be using the same characterization over and over despite chances to show some range. Sometimes this is because an actor/actresses picks the same type of roles over and over. But, sometimes it could be that an actor/actress simply doesn't have the range to pull it off.

So, although Tom Cruise plays a lot of hero types like in Top Gun and M:I, I think he showed some range in playing unsavory characters like in Vanilla Sky and Magnolia.

Some people feel that some actors/actresses use their same "voice" over and over again and it's become almost cliche. I'm not a really big fan of changing your voice for a role just to change it. But sometimes, it's quite effective. I think Kevin Costner did a pretty admirable job in JFK, employing a New Orleans accent, and in Thirteen Days, using a Boston accent. Although not everyone cared for his accents, I think it was a decent attempt at trying to employ different characterizations. He could have played it straight, I suppose, but I don't think it would have had the same "flavor."
Old 06-01-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Joe Pesci
Old 06-01-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Eddie Murphy
Arnold Schwartzennegger
Sylvester Stallone
Joe Pesci
Tom Green
Adam Sandler
David Spade
Vin Diesel
Old 06-01-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Harrison Ford - Ever since Regarding Henry, he's played that same brain damaged character in every film - "hmpf... Ritz crackers... hmpf..." "hmpf... I've got to save the president... hmpf..." all the same.

Tara Reid - she's an ugly airhead who plays herself with as much conviction as Benji. Zero personality and zero talent. I wonder if you were to hold her head up to your ear you could hear the ocean.

Morgan Freeman - this one's easy because he only plays one character. Some cop that the killer wants to be the one who finds him. Sure, he played God recently, but even then I didn't see much difference... it certainly was a natural role choice for his ego.
Old 06-01-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Harrison Ford - Ever since Regarding Henry, he's played that same brain damaged character in every film - "hmpf... Ritz crackers... hmpf..." "hmpf... I've got to save the president... hmpf..." all the same.

Tara Reid - she's an ugly airhead who plays herself with as much conviction as Benji. Zero personality and zero talent. I wonder if you were to hold her head up to your ear you could hear the ocean.

Morgan Freeman - this one's easy because he only plays one character. Some cop that the killer wants to be the one who finds him. Sure, he played God recently, but even then I didn't see much difference... it certainly was a natural role choice for his ego.
I dunno man...I thought Morgan was awesome as the HNIC in Lean On Me! He was great in Glory too
Old 06-02-03, 01:25 AM

Has no one thought of Parker Posey?

There's someone else who I always refer to as "being like Parker Posey - plays himself in every film" but I can't remember who.
Old 06-02-03, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Tom Hanks
Woody Allen
Old 06-02-03, 03:26 AM

Ah yes, Janeane Garofalo. You know the movie will be good if she plays herself and bad if she plays someone else.
Old 06-02-03, 10:51 AM
Banned

Without a doubt...

Kevin Spacey and Edward Norton
Old 06-02-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by hime

There's someone else who I always refer to as "being like Parker Posey - plays himself in every film" but I can't remember who.
Huh? Parker Posey in "Waiting for Guffman" is nothing like Parker Posey in "Best in Show".

Pacino in "Dog Day Afternoon" is nothing like Pacino in "The Godfather" which is nothing like Pacino in "When Frankie met Jonnie"

DeNiro in "Taxi Driver" is nothing like DeNiro in "Goodfellas" whcih is nothing like DeNiro in "The Heist".

Nicholson in "Almost Schmidt" is nothing like Nicholson in "Witches of Eastwick" which is nothing like Nicholson in "Easy Rider" which is nothing like Nicholson in "As Good as it Gets".

Yes, lately, DeNiro and Pacino have been recycling their definitive performances and playing "themselves" but almost every actor who's been around for a while develops a characteristic persona that the audience expects them to be. They do want to get paid, so they play to their audience, nothing wrong with that.

Look at Jim Carrey, he made a ton with 'Bruce Almighty" (so far) playing his trademarked broad comedy. Do you think he's going to go back to the slightly more edgy 'Cable Guy" type role anytime soon? probably not.
Old 06-02-03, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by Trigger

Tara Reid - I wonder if you were to hold her head up to your ear you could hear the ocean.

If I held her head up, it wouldn't be next to my ear.
Old 06-02-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Carrot Top
Old 06-02-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My family thinks brad has no range. He always plays the "look at me, and my great body" guy.
Old 06-02-03, 04:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Rypro 525
My family thinks brad has no range. He always plays the "look at me, and my great body" guy.
Yeah, that pretty much sums up his performance in 12 Monkeys.
Old 06-02-03, 05:27 PM

Is this really such a bad thing though? I mean, they pay Julia Roberts Julia-Roberts-money to be Julia Roberts because people want to see Julia Roberts.

This isn't just about being typecast, or taking the same role over and over though. It's about how much of your celebrity shows through the character.

Ideally, a little bit should. If you're too into the character, you get lost and no one notices. A lot of great performances by unknown actors get ignored because they are too good. On the other end, Adam Sandler is always Adam Sandler. I can't tell you the name of one character he played if it's not the title of the film. I think Julia plays it just about perfectly.
Old 06-02-03, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally posted by monkey
Without a doubt...

Kevin Spacey and Edward Norton

Is this a joke or for real? I think Norton plays a lot of diffrent roles. Look at Primal Fear Vs American History X.
Old 06-02-03, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by BigDaddy
Is this a joke or for real? I think Norton plays a lot of diffrent roles. Look at Primal Fear Vs American History X.
Yeah...I was going to say someone needs to watch American History X...if that is not total immersion into a role I dont know what is.
Old 06-02-03, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by inri222
Tom Hanks
Woody Allen
Gotta ask for examples on Tom Hanks...maybe back in the 80's when it was all about comedy...but since then you have Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan and Cast Away. All of those were 4 completely unique and identifiable characters that were very well played.
Old 06-02-03, 06:13 PM
mwj

Denzel Washington: Same angry/arrogant African American in every movie.

Halle Berry: All looks, no ability.

Vin Diesel: Generation X's Schwarzenegger without the personality, presence, or good movies.

Chris Rock: Great stand-up comic, horrible actor.

Julia Roberts: I grin therefore I am.

Sylvester Stallone: I mumble therefore I am.

Freddie Prinze Jr.: If only smirks= acting talent he would have at least one Oscar.

Robin Williams: Manic verbal diarrhea is not a career.

Janine Garofalo: If she was mute and on the radio, big things might be accomplished.
Old 06-02-03, 10:05 PM

Vin Diesel was different in 'Boiler Room' but thats about it. Maybe 'Iron Giant'...

I'd definitely disagree with Ed Norton. From Fight Club to American History X to Primal Fear to The Italian Job... there's definite range.

Kevin Spacey has been playing the same type of role only recently (K-Pax, Shipping News, David Gale.) His roles in The Usual Suspects, American Beauty and L.A. Confidential are vastly different from each other and from his new stuff.

I'd add Sandra Bullock to the list, though.
Old 06-03-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts
Originally posted by BigStinky
I think Pacino started being loud in Godfather 2

"In my home!!! Where my wife sleeps!!!!"
"She's got a GREAT ASS...and you've got your head ALL THE WAY UP IT!"
Old 06-03-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ween
Gotta ask for examples on Tom Hanks...maybe back in the 80's when it was all about comedy...but since then you have Philadelphia, Forrest Gump, Saving Private Ryan and Cast Away. All of those were 4 completely unique and identifiable characters that were very well played.
Some people see it as "its tom hanks playing a bad guy, tom hanks playing a soldier." ect.
Old 06-03-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jim Carrey? I disagree. Sure, he plays the same roles in certian films because that's what people want to see him play. He's been somewhat stereotyped, but he has several times tried to break from that.

How about Man on the Moon?

The Truman Show?

The Majestic?
Old 06-03-03, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by hime

BLASPHEMER!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.