Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

If you made Jurassic Park IV, how would you improve on the series

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-29-03, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, like many of you, had issues with the sequels to Jurassic Park. A lot of people, I believe, feel the same way, but you know another sequel will come outl because we want to see a good dino movie like the first one. Now seeing as how we would have to include the sequels into part 4's story line, what would you do and what would you not do to Jurassic Park 4? Some ideas:

1. Make corporations the "bad guy" again. The first two movies had corporate greed cause all of the problems. The dinosaurs were dangerous, yes, but we were aware that they were only acting on their nature. We never truly hated them. In part 3, we had a Spinosaurus who chased people. Too much like a monster movie.

2. People now know about the island. We need to see more Dino/Human interaction. The Pteradons were last seen flying away from the island, where do they go? In the original novel, dinosaurs were getting off the island and eating crops and babies(yes, babies). I would prefer a more realistic approach and have the dinos end up close to the island. We don't need another big city terrorized by a T-Rex.

3. Incorporate the more interesting characters from the first 3 movies. Sam Neil, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum would make a good trio. Maybe bring in the big game hunter form the 2nd and John Hammond could make an appearance.

4. No Kids!!!

5. Rematch between T-rex and Spino. I knew it was coming, but still I felt T-Rex was robbed. We need T-Rex to come back and whoop Spiny's tush.

6. Keep introducing more dinos.

That's all I can come up with, I will be interested in seeing what you all write
Old 05-29-03, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I like #1. The first one was so good because it wasn't just dinosaurs killing people like part 3 was. The first had a good story and I think thats most important.

Also #2 is good. There needs to be more human/dino interaction, I would imagine that after what happened on those islands the world would be kinda paniced.
Old 05-29-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Your first point is a very good one. And I don't mind kids if they're not the focus of the story - after all, their presence brings out the "theme park from hell" aspect of the concept, especially is said kids are eaten or otherwise ravaged.

Also, I feel a Jurassic Park film requires those Spielbergian moments, like the ripples in the water or the wagon hanging over the edge of the cliff. And the characters should be going somewhere, not running from somewhere (i.e. what I'd like to see, if anything, is an adventure, not a thriller).
Old 05-29-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sea monsters.

Seriously.
Old 05-29-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A good plot. Something besides people running away from dinosaurs. I'm not really sure what other plot you can have when you mix humans and dinosaurs though.

Loved the first one. It had a science fiction element of man going against nature. The second was just horrible and the third was OK.

Last edited by Mazinger; 05-29-03 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-29-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would cryogenically freeze the dinosaurs on the island and then have them "wake up" on a space ship and start killing people at random... damn, I’m a genius, someone should have thought of this by now.

BTW- there's no coming back from the scene in JP3 when the guy was "talking" to the dinosaurs. that pretty much did it for me right there. i mean, he might as well have put on a life preserver and jumped over a shark...
Old 05-29-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by huh?
I would cryogenically freeze the dinosaurs on the island and then have them "wake up" on a space ship and start killing people at random... damn, I’m a genius, someone should have thought of this by now.
You mean like Jason X ?
Old 05-29-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think they should make a Jurassic Park IV after what they did to II and III. The first movie was good because it was breathtaking, because you never knew what to expect, because it was fresh and creative and had great writing. The second was derivitive, and the third was clearly just slapped out there to get a quick buck. (C'mon, in the first film, those raptors were razor sharp, and quick as thieves. In the third film, they get fooled by some kind of dumb whistle when they have human meat right there. Come on!)

If they did make JP4, I think they'd have to go in a totally different direction, the way that Predator II did. Like maybe have someone open the island as a full-scale theme park and then have disaster strike. Or maybe focus on sea monsters, or flying dinosaurs, or...

No, no, all of those ideas depress me. Flowers. They need to do a film about flowers, because no one has ever done that before.
Old 05-29-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mazinger
You mean like Jason X ?
ding ding ding, we have a winner
Old 05-29-03, 08:38 AM

I didn't have any problem with the previous sequels. They were very much in the spirit of the original (i.e. adults and children running away from dinos).

I'd improve the series by having the dino's escape to South America and the plot is all about trying to contain them there.
Old 05-29-03, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Hilary Duff, amazon goddess.
Old 05-29-03, 09:46 AM
Banned

1. Make corporations the "bad guy" again. The first two movies had corporate greed cause all of the problems. The dinosaurs were dangerous, yes, but we were aware that they were only acting on their nature. We never truly hated them. In part 3, we had a Spinosaurus who chased people. Too much like a monster movie.

Wow, a movie where corporations are the evil bad guy...now that is original.

2. People now know about the island. We need to see more Dino/Human interaction. The Pteradons were last seen flying away from the island, where do they go? In the original novel, dinosaurs were getting off the island and eating crops and babies(yes, babies). I would prefer a more realistic approach and have the dinos end up close to the island. We don't need another big city terrorized by a T-Rex. etc al.

I really enjoyed III, thought it was a great monster movie, plenty of robototics, very little CGI. Plus it had some obvious tip of the hats to Gorgo, Dinosaurs (The crane) and others.

They have either two things they can do, they can do a minimalist approach (just deal with one family somewhere dealing with one dino that is plauging them) or they can do a maximalist approach, have an entire country fighting them...or the world. Kind of Reign of Fire like.

Loved #1, hated #2 (horrible script and editing) and loved #3.
Old 05-29-03, 10:31 AM

A one-armed Sam Jackson ticked off that he lost his arm and looking for a little raptor revenge!
Old 05-29-03, 10:38 AM

Maybe they should set JP IV 10000 years into the future where man is the endangered species. A nuclear war would’ve happened and wiped out a great deal of the human population. The Dinos, left unchecked, start rapidly reproducing and somehow manage to get off the island and take over the world.

Kind of a mix between Reign of Fire and Planet of the Apes…

Timmio
Old 05-29-03, 10:42 AM
Banned

I would have to agree that the Jurassic Park series had gone way downhill. I was very excited to hear that Sam Neil was returning to the IIIrd one but when I saw Jurassic Park III in theater, I was very dissapointed and didn't like that movie one bit. It wasn't very good.

I think they lost it when Steven Spielberg stopped helming the series.
Old 05-29-03, 11:01 AM

Wow, a movie where corporations are the evil bad guy...now that is original.
It's a little more original than some family being chased through a jungle by a monster. the first movie was great because everything went down because of 2 things, pride (Hammond) and greed (Nedry).

Maybe they can do a better version of the Lost World Story and use the book as a guide. We should see this other company that hired Nedry in the first place trying something else to steal Hammond's idea. Or maybe they did and they actually made it to the final stage and have the theme parks in working order with families and such.
Old 05-29-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Forget the PG-13...

Gimme an R rated JP with lots of blood and guts and dino food. Show me a raptor opening its prey that Sam Neil described in the first one.
Old 05-29-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I agree with the no kids comment. The ones in the first movie were tolerable, and then i saw #2 with Jeff Goldblum's african american daughter saving the day using the gymnastics? What is this a family movie about overcoming your fears?
Old 05-29-03, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,189 Likes on 2,057 Posts
I like the idea of having the dinos running amok on some South American coastal village. A lot of villagers being dragged off onto the jungle by unknown monsters to start, then the dinos get more brave and start entering the village itself finally revealing themselves as the mythical dinos all the villagers had heard stories about.

It would be a good way to finally cut away from the original cast (I like Sam Neill and Jeff Goldblum as much as the next guy but there's is no logical way to bring them back) And give us a chance to see a new cast. One that could use mainly unknown actors.

An 'R' rating would be great but will never happen (but since this is a wishlist thread I guess it doesn't matter)

It could have an ending where the military has to decide whether it's worth the price to obliterate an entire village of people to stop the spread of the dinos
Old 05-29-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, definitely no kids, or maybe show the annoying ones getting eaten.
Old 05-29-03, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by Mazinger
A good plot. Something besides people running away from dinosaurs. I'm not really sure what other plot you can have when you mix humans and dinosaurs though.
Dude, youre clearly going to the movie for the wrong reasons. It's a monster movie! The whole point is to see people get eaten by some kick ass special effects for two hours.

So, here is my suggestions:

01) Jettson the plot - or at the very least trim it back so that it's a framework that supports the Monsters Eating People premise. Plane crashes on the island, a bunch of archtypes survive (no need for characterization here - just give me some stereotypes and distinct personalities), they get picked off by the dinos for the next hour and a half, then they make it to the pickup point. The End.

02) Lots and lots and LOTS of monsters! The swarms from Aliens? Hell yeah! Unleash a ton of monsters on the unsuspecting public. Perhaps an army of Raptors make it to the mainland or something. But gimme chaos and blood and lots of it!

03) Give me some hotties. Ditch the kids and throw in some skin. Doesnt matter if they can act or not, just so long as they're easy on the eyes.

There you go - include all of that and the script just about writes itself!
Old 05-29-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MartyMcSuperfly
Dude, youre clearly going to the movie for the wrong reasons. It's a monster movie! The whole point is to see people get eaten by some kick ass special effects for two hours.

So, here is my suggestions:

01) Jettson the plot - or at the very least trim it back so that it's a framework that supports the Monsters Eating People premise. Plane crashes on the island, a bunch of archtypes survive (no need for characterization here - just give me some stereotypes and distinct personalities), they get picked off by the dinos for the next hour and a half, then they make it to the pickup point. The End.

02) Lots and lots and LOTS of monsters! The swarms from Aliens? Hell yeah! Unleash a ton of monsters on the unsuspecting public. Perhaps an army of Raptors make it to the mainland or something. But gimme chaos and blood and lots of it!

03) Give me some hotties. Ditch the kids and throw in some skin. Doesnt matter if they can act or not, just so long as they're easy on the eyes.

There you go - include all of that and the script just about writes itself!
OK. You convinced me. I'll watch it if it was a bunch of hotties trapped on the island being chased by monsters.
Old 05-29-03, 01:12 PM
Banned

It's a little more original than some family being chased through a jungle by a monster. the first movie was great because everything went down because of 2 things, pride (Hammond) and greed (Nedry).

Maybe they can do a better version of the Lost World Story and use the book as a guide. We should see this other company that hired Nedry in the first place trying something else to steal Hammond's idea. Or maybe they did and they actually made it to the final stage and have the theme parks in working order with families and such.

I guess we disagree then, I think the "evil corp" is #1 very sterotypical, and #2 has been used to death. The Lost World book was just as crappy as the movie, Chriterion was on autodrive for that one.

Originally posted by GoldenJCJ
I like the idea of having the dinos running amok on some South American coastal village. A lot of villagers being dragged off onto the jungle by unknown monsters to start, then the dinos get more brave and start entering the village itself finally revealing themselves as the mythical dinos all the villagers had heard stories about.

I like that idea alot, almost like a "Ghost in the Darkness" premise, except have the villagers fight the beasts as the Caveman would have, with primal simple weapons and animal instinct.
Old 05-29-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by GoldenJCJ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That would be nice if it was the first movie, but like someone has posted before, we've already seen the dinosaurs F/X. As a viewer there wouldn't be too much suspense, excitement, etc... when the monsters show up.

The first movie should have been left by itself.
Old 05-29-03, 01:24 PM
Banned

Dinosaurs eating one of the kids. Like in From Dusk till Dawn.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.