Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

How much would The Matrix Reloaded have made if it was PG-13?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-27-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, the film could have lost those few seconds in the rave and it would have made the film PG-13. I think this would have pleased everyone, as the rave scene was the low point of an otherwise great film.

But how much could TMR have made if it was PG-13. Instead of it's 135 opening take, I think it could have gotten 175. This weekend it could have made 65 Million instead of 45. How big a difference do you think the rating made?
Old 05-27-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
Shooting that guy point blank in the head and showing the hole/blood probably helped with the R. A second or two of the rave cut (actually about 20-30 seconds cut becuase it brought the movie to a screeching halt) and a cutaway from the body after the shooting, and it would have been PG13.
Old 05-27-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts
There is no way to know how many 13-17 year olds bought tickets to Bruce Almighty and then snuck into Matrix Reloaded.

I don't think the rating made much difference.
Old 05-27-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
"How much would the matrix reloaded have made if it was pg-13?"

Who cares?
Old 05-27-03, 12:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It would of made a bit more money, that's for sure.

But it wouldn't be worth it to have all the "They toned it down to get a PG-13 waahhhh!" whines/posts that would end up in this forum.
Old 05-27-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It would have made virtually no difference.
Old 05-27-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Jepthah
It would have made virtually no difference.
Bingo, I'd be willing to bet they added a thing or 2 to GET an R rating so that it would be considered "cool" by most of the target audience.
Old 05-27-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Plus, I really don't think many theaters actually stopped teens from seeing the movie. The theater that I went to checked tickets at the door but I don't think they cared how old you were b/c of the large number of kids there without parents.
Old 05-27-03, 01:35 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Don't forget the guy who got impaled, causing his blood to shoot all over his monitor. That was another one of the few (maybe even *very* few) spots in the movie that made me think, "OK, now that is R material."

As to the original question: I'm horrible at these "what if" scenarios, but I guess I'd say it would have made a "small" to "moderately-sized" box office difference. And of course, I lack the confidence to assign a dollar amount to describe what I mean by "'small' to 'moderately-sized' box office difference."
Old 05-27-03, 03:02 PM
Retired

A little more to this point.

Where the impact will really be felt is in the coming weeks/months.

Kids under 17 make up a lot of the repeat viewing business for movies, even more so in the summer as they are out of school and have lots of free time to see movies. They won't be able to buy a ticket it to it in the afternoon when they're hanging out with friends and they're parents will be unlikely to accompany them a second time, much less 3, 4, 5 etc. times.

But it really doesn't matter as it's still going to make a killing. I predicted just under $300 million, and it looks like it has a chance to actually go a little over $300 so I'm sure they're more than happy with the box office take. And I'm thrilled that they didn't tone it down to PG-13 just to make some extra $.
Old 05-27-03, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't think it would have made much of a difference. Honestly, for every person that could've gotten in because of the lower rating, there would be some people that would've been peeved for them "watering it down". Also, the mega blockbuster R rating thing was actually a selling point for the movie, as if someone finally was able to pull it off. Seriously though the movie isn't pg13 and considering how hard it is to predict what the R rated Matrix would've made, I doubt we can figure out what the pg13 non existent Matrix would've made. Those figures would be an anomaly and would cause a system crash therefore nullifying the entire Matrix universe so...better to skip it.
Old 05-27-03, 11:35 PM
Banned

Who cares?
Apparently you don't, yet you still replied
Old 06-06-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts
Personally I didn't find anything in it to really warrant and "R" rating... maybe that is just me but X-Men 2 was just as violent, and I don't believe I heard one F-word in the whole movie....

Should have been PG-13 IMHO and it would have broken Spidey's record but may have also taken a huge dive the following weeks also. Probably would have made and extra $30 million or so...
Old 06-09-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think Matrix would have made a ton more money. I manage an 18-plex and we turned away a TON of business opening weekend. The argument that lots of people bought Bruce Almighty tickets and then snuck in may be true in some cases, but that definitely hurt the grosses for Matrix.

I think if the violence had been toned down a bit, and a few of the curse words had been omitted or changed this could easily have warranted a PG-13 rating.

Do you think Titanic (with it's frontal nudity) would've made over a billion dollars at the box office with an R rating? If you do, I have an unsinkable ocean liner in Zion I'd like to sell you.