Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Worst Cannes... ever!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Worst Cannes... ever!

Old 05-24-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worst Cannes... ever!

That seems to be the unanimous verdict for this year's Cannes.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...s_countdown_dc

Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny universally panned. Sounds like he made it to get a BJ from Chloe Sevigny...
Old 05-24-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
From what I understand, Gallo is about as pretentious and insufferable as a human can get....so this is really no surprise. I loved Buffalo '66 but this news surprises me not one bit....I thought this bit was pretty much hilarious....

U.S. director Vincent Gallo (news) is so hurt by the scathing reaction to his film "The Brown Bunny," that he has vowed to make it his last.

"I'll never make another movie again. I mean it," Gallo told Reuters, after his road movie had a disastrous reception at the Cannes film festival (news - web sites) and he was booed at a press conference.

"Being booed at was not much fun. It's really not very nice that people are so nasty. I'm very disappointed," he said early on Friday at the star-studded amfAR AIDS (news - web sites) fund-raiser.

Gallo, going through what he says is the worst week in his life, has also apologized to those who financed the film.

"It is a disaster of a film and it was a waste of time. I apologize to the financiers, but it was never my intention to make a pretentious film, a self-indulgent film, a useless film, an unengaging film," he said.

Critics guffawed openly at the screening of "The Brown Bunny," which Gallo wrote, directed, produced and starred in, and groaned at the highly graphic oral sex scene at the end.

Many found the long driving scenes interminable and monotonous and the symbolic use of a toy rabbit plain just silly.

Screen International has ranked the film the worst of the 20 films competing for this year's Palme d'Or.

"Vincent Gallo's monumental folly has already become a defining moment in Cannes history. Awestruck future generations will ask: 'Were you there the night they screened The Brown Bunny?"' one of the magazine's critics wrote Friday. A clearly depressed Gallo said he had hardly been able to face his friends since Cannes critics, bored by what they say is a miserable harvest of films, started laying into his movie.

"If my film is not comprehensible to people then I have failed in my purpose. I am disappointed that once again, what I like is unpopular. I can only apologize to the people who feel they have wasted their time," he said.
Old 05-25-03, 12:36 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Even though I personally don't give a crap about Ebert's reviews, usually, his review of "The Brown Bunny" was very amusing. This movie sounds so pompous and pointless.
Old 05-25-03, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Worst Cannes... ever!

Originally posted by Krug
Vincent Gallo's The Brown Bunny universally panned. Sounds like he made it to get a BJ from Chloe Sevigny...
That's why Peter Bogdanovich got into movies, but at least he turned the camera off...
Old 05-25-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
Looks like Gallo has been taking film lessons from Harmony Korine.
Old 05-26-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lars von Trier's "Dogville" (w/ Nicole Kidman) should be
intersting.

I think it's part of an American trilogy.
Old 05-26-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Can't wait to see the brown bunny! this "controversy" can only help it.
Old 05-27-03, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sunday Morning
Can't wait to see the brown bunny! this "controversy" can only help it.
EXACTLY. I really want to see it now....if it doesn't get picked up for US distribution...or doesn't get outside of NY/LA.......I really hope it comes out on dvd.
Old 05-27-03, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I still wanna see Brown Bunny. Buffalo 66 is one of my favorite movies.
Old 05-27-03, 03:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i thought this thread was going to be about saggy teets.
Old 05-27-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
from the Ebert review:
...scene in which he imagines he receives fellatio from his lost love, played by Chloe Sevigny. Let it be said that Sevigny, who reportedly cried during the screening, is heroic...

Why was she crying? Was she so moved by the film, or embarassed by her choice to be in the film? I missed this part of the story over the last week.
Old 05-27-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I still wanna see Brown Bunny. Buffalo 66 is one of my favorite movies.
I'm big fan of Gallo, so I still want to see it...just to see if its THAT bad...I have the japanese dvd of Johnny Depp's 'The Brave' (which at the time was considered the 'worst' film screened at the festival), and while its flawed and itself a little tepid, it is nowhere near the disasterious project it was suppsed to be...

Buffalo 66 is a great film, it is hard to say that someone so sensitive and yet so egotisical would never make another film as he has said...He probably will and learn from his mistakes...Who knows like he said, he found out that the things he liked are not liked by others.
Old 05-27-03, 05:31 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by bothanspy
from the Ebert review:
...scene in which he imagines he receives fellatio from his lost love, played by Chloe Sevigny. Let it be said that Sevigny, who reportedly cried during the screening, is heroic...

Why was she crying? Was she so moved by the film, or embarassed by her choice to be in the film? I missed this part of the story over the last week.
I assume she was upset at the reaction of the film.. people booing and all.
Old 05-27-03, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I too hope that Gallo doesn't quit. I was really impressed with Buffalo '66. I have a feeling that Brown Bunny is one of those awful films that can only be made by someone who can do much better work. If you've seen this type of catastrophe you know what I mean...
Old 05-27-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree, the whole thing was pumped up and then fell somewhat flat, IMHO. Last years Cannes Festival was much better, but then again, there were some interesting films this year. And in regards to Brown Bunny, I can't wait to see it. If I like it, that will be a different story.