Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Windtalkers Directors Cut

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-22-03, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is different on the windtalkers director's cut? What are the new scenes?
Old 05-22-03, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm curious about the differences as well.
Old 05-25-03, 12:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
if its available to rent at my Hollywood video or Netflix I'l rewatch it, I wont buy it though, since I thought the theatrical cut was seriously flawed.
Old 05-25-03, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awful movie. Why bother?
Old 05-25-03, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't we had this discussion before? I think the purpose of this particular thread is to determine the difference between the theatrical cut and the director's cut... not to feel free to lambast a movie for the billionth time in the presence of obviously different minded people. Some of us like the movie, and are interested in the upcoming dvd.

Do a search and continue your bitter grumblings in one of the numerous "Windtalkers Blows Ass" threads already in progress.

Thank you.
Old 05-25-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if this isn't going to be a critique of the movie, I think it's in the wrong forum.
Old 05-25-03, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Corvin
Well if this isn't going to be a critique of the movie, I think it's in the wrong forum.
This isn't the review thread.
Old 05-25-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figured general information such as added scenes goes to the DVD Talk forum and not to Movie Talk.

Also, I figured talk about the added scenes would then go to movie talk because it's more about the discussion of pros and cons rather than just straight information.
Old 05-25-03, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Interesting that we have yet to even get a post that discusses the differences or whether or not it is any better than the theatrical version.
Old 05-25-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Corvin
Makes sense. This is essentially a question about the dvd. You have every right to use the Report This Post to a Moderator button down there in the lower right of this, or any, post.

I find it interesting that some people feel a need to turn every Windtalkers thread into a bashing/flame session. Seriously, what's the purpose?
Old 05-25-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I find it strange that the review i've read for the DVD over at DVDFile didn't mention what the 20 minutes added, or if it was of any substance. Still hoping someone can clear this up as to what the scenes do and if they actually DO make the film better.
Old 05-25-03, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was wondering the differences as well. If anyone who wants to stay on topic has seen both versions, it would be appreciated.

And please, no more Windtalkers bashing. I liked it, but I'm not going off on how great it is.
Old 05-29-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First of all I'd like to say that I enjoyed Windtalkers a lot. People bashed it because it was innacurate and didnt focus on the codetalkers. I dont think this is a reason to bash a film. People complain if its innacurate (Windtalkers) or complain if its accurate (Gods and Generals). Theres no pleasing some people.

Ok now onto the diffrences. This isnt a frame for frame list just some things i noticed to be different. The biggest diffrence is the battle scenes. Nearly every battle scene has been extended. Another diffrence is a couple of scenes when Joe and Ben are talking have been extended. We get the line from the trailer in the directors cut. Its pretty much the same movie but the body count and violence factor goes up a couple notches (more bayonet killings, a hand is cut off)
Old 05-29-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Ah, thanks. I don't think longer battles are what i'm looking for in the director's cut, so i'll stick with the original disc
Old 05-30-03, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More dialogue between Joe and Ben though, that's good. Since I don't have the first release, I'll be getting this.

As for the innacuracies, what specificaly are you talking about Ryu? Granted, I'm no expect on the particular battle, but I do remember doing some very basic research when the movie came out and didn't come across any glaring differences between the movie and actual order of events.

Or did you mean more stuff like how a simple 80 caliber bullet wouldn't tear a 2 foot hole in a guy's belly and send him flying 30 feet in the air?
Old 05-30-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The battle right in the beginning is way extended. There's tons of stabbings, it's COOL.
Old 06-01-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's what I noticed: (SPOILERS)

First battle - More stabbings.

Hospital Scenes - Joe Enders gets a medal in bed.

Night before shipping out - If you've watched the trailer, there's scene in where Joe Enders & his girlfriend are in a car beside on the beach. It wasn't at all in the theatrical cut, but now it has been re-inserted. "The world's a beautiful place." "No, it's not."

More scenes of the guys clowning around before going to battle. Taking photos. Charlie Whitehorse says some words to Joe Enders about his history with Ben Yahzee. Brief but it adds some texture to the relationship.

The 2nd battle (the first major one) has 2 small but significant extensions and it's SOO much better for it. When Nic Cage freaks out, it's longer and it gets crazy over-the-top dramatic Woo-style by the end of the freakout. Awesome. Second, and it's possible this was there before and I never noticed it, but there's a scene in the trenches (just before the flamethrower scene) that is a total SAVING PRIVATE RYAN rip-off in terms of camera work. Dirty, shaky hand-held at the soldiers' POV, but with a bit more colour. It rocks. I wish they had filmed more of the film like that.

It's interesting how much these additions improve the scene. It gives it character and, despite making the battle longer, the pacing feels improved. The changing visual style and pause in action gives the scene some ebb and flow instead of just being relentless, somewhat dryly-filmed violence.

3rd battle (friendly fire). Enders starts laughing maniacally like he's losing it when he realises that it's friendly fire. The gunny mutters a couple of words in Swedish. After the battle, when they award Enders the medal, there seems to be a quick insert of him almost laughing again, as if harkening back to his maniac laugh earlier.

Evening when Enders gets drunk - More dialogue between Enders & Yahzee. Cage freaks out more when he sees the graves.

Japanese village pre-attack - Ox and Charlie play some more music together and chat briefly. Enders gives painkillers to a Japanese boy and the boy calls him uncle.

Japanese village battle - There seems to be a lot more action. total mayhem. Along with the trench bits earlier, this is pretty conclusive evidence that Woo's true genius lies in close-quarters action scenes.

Final battle - I am least familiar with this section in the original cut as I watch it the least. However, there seems to be more with Yahzee losing it and becoming a killing machine. At one point, the Greek soldier is fighting on the ground with a Japanese soldier and Yahzee just shoots into them, almost killing the Greek. Was this in the theatrical cut? Then there's a short breather that references the opening scene where the soldiers tell Enders that they want to leave and don't want to die. At the very end, there is a new Joe Enders voice over with his belated reply to his nurse girlfriend.

Overall, I do not think that it has expanded much on the Navajo like people were hoping, but it does make Cage's character more interesting and that helps the movie. He's not just stereotypically sullen like in the original cut, but instead seems crazed at times. I don't remember the last war flick where the superstar war hero laughed like a maniac from the stress. The action additions are good. And overall the small character additions and Joe's relationship with the nurse seems to give the film a bit more lyricism.

Last edited by ipkevin; 06-01-03 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-02-03, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ipkevin
Here's what I noticed: (SPOILERS)

First battle - More stabbings.

Hospital Scenes - Joe Enders gets a medal in bed.

Night before shipping out - If you've watched the trailer, there's scene in where Joe Enders & his girlfriend are in a car beside on the beach. It wasn't at all in the theatrical cut, but now it has been re-inserted. "The world's a beautiful place." "No, it's not."

More scenes of the guys clowning around before going to battle. Taking photos. Charlie Whitehorse says some words to Joe Enders about his history with Ben Yahzee. Brief but it adds some texture to the relationship.

The 2nd battle (the first major one) has 2 small but significant extensions and it's SOO much better for it. When Nic Cage freaks out, it's longer and it gets crazy over-the-top dramatic Woo-style by the end of the freakout. Awesome. Second, and it's possible this was there before and I never noticed it, but there's a scene in the trenches (just before the flamethrower scene) that is a total SAVING PRIVATE RYAN rip-off in terms of camera work. Dirty, shaky hand-held at the soldiers' POV, but with a bit more colour. It rocks. I wish they had filmed more of the film like that.

It's interesting how much these additions improve the scene. It gives it character and, despite making the battle longer, the pacing feels improved. The changing visual style and pause in action gives the scene some ebb and flow instead of just being relentless, somewhat dryly-filmed violence.

3rd battle (friendly fire). Enders starts laughing maniacally like he's losing it when he realises that it's friendly fire. The gunny mutters a couple of words in Swedish. After the battle, when they award Enders the medal, there seems to be a quick insert of him almost laughing again, as if harkening back to his maniac laugh earlier.

Evening when Enders gets drunk - More dialogue between Enders & Yahzee. Cage freaks out more when he sees the graves.

Japanese village pre-attack - Ox and Charlie play some more music together and chat briefly. Enders gives painkillers to a Japanese boy and the boy calls him uncle.

Japanese village battle - There seems to be a lot more action. total mayhem. Along with the trench bits earlier, this is pretty conclusive evidence that Woo's true genius lies in close-quarters action scenes.

Final battle - I am least familiar with this section in the original cut as I watch it the least. However, there seems to be more with Yahzee losing it and becoming a killing machine. At one point, the Greek soldier is fighting on the ground with a Japanese soldier and Yahzee just shoots into them, almost killing the Greek. Was this in the theatrical cut? Then there's a short breather that references the opening scene where the soldiers tell Enders that they want to leave and don't want to die. At the very end, there is a new Joe Enders voice over with his belated reply to his nurse girlfriend.

Overall, I do not think that it has expanded much on the Navajo like people were hoping, but it does make Cage's character more interesting and that helps the movie. He's not just stereotypically sullen like in the original cut, but instead seems crazed at times. I don't remember the last war flick where the superstar war hero laughed like a maniac from the stress. The action additions are good. And overall the small character additions and Joe's relationship with the nurse seems to give the film a bit more lyricism.
excellent review of the extended scenes. I'm glad I got this cuz I enjoyed the theatrical cut and don't think that it deserved all the criticism that it received.
Old 07-14-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts
Re: Windtalkers Directors Cut

Looks like there's a full blown special edition coming out in the next couple of months.

Bonus Materials

Includes both the 134 minute Theatrical Version and the 153 minute Director’s Cut
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p, 2.40:1) presentations of both versions of the film
Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1, French 5.1 Surround, Spanish 5.1 Surround
Subtitles: English, French, Spanish
Audio Commentary with Director John Woo and Producer Terence Chang
Audio Commentary with Christian Slater and Nicolas Cage
Audio Commentary with actor Roger Willie and real-life Navajo code talker consultant Albert Smith
Deleted Scenes
'The Code Talkers -- A Secret Code of Honor' (23:12)
WWII Tribute Piece 'American Heroes: A Tribute to Navajo Code Talkers' (9:00)
'The Music of Windtalkers' (4:30)
Four Fly-on-the-Set Scene Diaries (23:37)
'Actors Boot Camp' Featurette (15:05)
Windtalkers Theatrical Teaser and Original Theatrical Trailer
and more!

https://mvdb2b.com/s/Windtalkers2Dis...tion/MVD1500BR
Old 07-15-18, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Windtalkers Directors Cut

Finally--a 15-year thread bump that makes sense.

I'm curious to see the director's cut because I'm a Woo fan, but not enough to actually pay for it. I disliked this movie so much I doubt a director's cut would improve it.