DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Zion and the .1% thing is a Mind Job! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/294242-zion-1%25-thing-mind-job.html)

pixel8or 05-22-03 09:34 PM

Zion and the .1% thing is a Mind Job! **SPOILERS**

I'm going nuts with it. This has to be a conspiracy of the evil Wachowski brothers to make us all pop!

I'm trying to narrow it down.
If Zion is the Real World...
-The One returns to the source, Zion is destroyed, the One picks a new family to restart Zion... 24 people who know about the Matrix.

-Humans are no longer born, they are grown and plugged into the Matrix. .1% rejects the program and are sent to Zion... this explains how Zion could reach 250,000 in a short time, which would be .1% of 250 million human batteries. (if my math is correct) Others are born in Zion and are plug-less.

-Eventually, some in Zion are somehow lead to believe in the coming of the (next) One and start hacking the Matrix to free the minds of others and find the One. (The counsel-original founders- possibly knows what must take place so they go along with the program as expected.- Counsellor Harmann does seem to be rather relaxed about the whole thing.)

-Agents (in the Matrix) and squiddies (in the real world) harass the hackers and keep them from running wild. They also help build the skill of the One as he learns to fight them so he can develop the code he carries to be reinserted into the prime program.

-The anomaly, the "unbalanced equation inherent to the programming of the matrix" creates the rise of another One.

-Somewhere along the line the Oracle steps in and helps facilitate the finding of the One and leads him back to the source.
*cycle complete*

-Except... this time the One develops differently and destroys an agent like never before throwing a wrench into the whole thing. He also falls in love and chooses not to return to the source at the risk of causing a cataclysmic failure of the system and the death of all pluggies.

-Over the course of 5 cycles, other programs, originally meant to function in the system, take exile in the Matrix and develop their own agendas.

Anyone else care to add to that? Would someone who has a MiaM synopsis care to add that perspective?

Jackskeleton 05-22-03 09:40 PM

24 people who know about the Matrix.
Wrong, he has to pick 24 people FROM the matrix. people who do not know the past. other then that.. Your ideas are pretty good and I some what agree with them.

pixel8or 05-22-03 09:50 PM

Wrong, he has to pick 24 people FROM the matrix. people who do not know the past.
But if they are returning to the real world, they would know as soon as they were unplugged.

johnglass 05-22-03 09:51 PM

A bit off topic, but did anyone notice how many people are on the Zion council? I know it was fairly large, but is it possible there were 16 women and 7 men?

pixel8or 05-22-03 09:56 PM

did anyone notice how many people are on the Zion council?
There are 12 seats at the council table.

If you go to http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/ and go to the Reloaded nav panel, there's a selection for Quiktime VR (1st row, 3rd from the left). There are two Quicktime VRs for the council chamber. You can count 12 seats.

Jackskeleton 05-22-03 10:00 PM

Originally posted by pixel8or
But if they are returning to the real world, they would know as soon as they were unplugged.

But the 24 are picked after zion is destroyed so they have no past knowledge of the civilization that was there. They it's starting over altogether.

In ETM, there is a crazy bum that tells Niobe that it took 72 hours to destroy zion last time and it would take 72 hours this time.. could he be a survivor from the last system format that was able to download himself into matrix from some source??

johnglass 05-22-03 10:00 PM

There are 12 seats at the council table.

If you go to http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/ and go to the Reloaded nav panel, there's a selection for Quiktime VR (1st row, 3rd from the left). There are two Quicktime VRs for the council chamber. You can count 12 seats.

Sure, just blow that theory out of the water!

:D

pixel8or 05-22-03 10:34 PM

Sure, just blow that theory out of the water!
Hey, why do I think I went there looking? ;)

Well... 12 is half of 24.... I suppose there could be something to it.

Jackskeleton 05-22-03 10:46 PM

12 divided into 24 is 2.. 2 is the number of neo's glasses lens, Neo's glasses is how he sees things..

Oh man, this is perfect.. we could see the future with those glasses and thus... 24 is the number of the future...

Oh wait.. that's just some random dvd talk play with numbers. :p

pixel8or 05-22-03 11:00 PM

Oh wait.. that's just some random dvd talk play with numbers.
I know, I know.... must be getting desperate. I even looked up the phone number that's traced at the begining. Found out I wasn't the only one to ever do that. :D

Gunshy 05-22-03 11:07 PM

I know, I know.... must be getting desperate. I even looked up the phone number that's traced at the begining. Found out I wasn't the only one to ever do that. :D
Hmm, don't films usually use some obviously generic/phony phone number when they need to show one on screen? Did you call it? And if so, what happened?

I remember years ago hearing (urban myth, snopes anyone?) of someone calling a phone number from a movie (or was it an album cover?) and actually getting some related creepy phone message/person on the other end :eek:

-Gunshy

Jackskeleton 05-22-03 11:35 PM

some studios play on this. In a simpsons episode Homer's e-mail address of Mr. X was up. Magnolia offered the Tom Cruise hotline up and you got the message of the infomortial

pixel8or 05-22-03 11:36 PM

Did you call it? And if so, what happened?
No... that would have been a little too much. I did a web search. There are a number of hits that come up with that number related to the movie, so I figured others had tried it also. It's even a trivia question.

Big Boy Laroux 05-23-03 09:48 AM

not to be picky, but wasn't it 1%, not .1%? just checking to see if i heard correctly.

pixel8or 05-23-03 11:14 AM

not to be picky, but wasn't it 1%, not .1%? just checking to see if i heard correctly.
The Architect said, "...she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99.9% of all test subjects accepted the program..."

That would leave "nearly" .1%.

shimmoril 05-23-03 11:23 AM

Um, Neo was supposed to choose 23 people to repopulate Zion - 16 women plus 7 men equals 23, not 24 -ptth-

Big Boy Laroux 05-23-03 11:33 AM

i remember it as 99%...

and so does the guy who posted the dialogue...

"Architect: Please, as I was saying she stumbled upon a solution whereby nearly 99 percent of all test subjects accepted the program as long as they were given a choice, even if they were only aware of the choice at an unconscious level."

granted, i've only seen it once, but i'm going to see it again tonight, so i'll listen for it.

iggystar 05-23-03 02:12 PM

Re: Zion and the .1% thing is a Mind Job! **SPOILERS**

I'm going nuts with it. This has to be a conspiracy of the evil Wachowski brothers to make us all pop!

Yes, this the crux of my frustration with Reloaded. It IS the frustration. But I really liked your breakdown. I'm not going to add anything, just e-mail it to a friend.

iggystar 05-23-03 02:27 PM

Re: Zion and the .1% thing is a Mind Job! **SPOILERS**

Yes, this the crux of my frustration with Reloaded. It IS the frustration. But I really liked your breakdown. I'm not going to add anything, just e-mail it to a friend.

johnglass 05-23-03 02:33 PM

Re: Re: Zion and the .1% thing is a Mind Job! **SPOILERS**

Originally posted by iggystar

Originally posted by iggystar
Whoa, deja vu.

pixel8or 05-23-03 05:19 PM

i remember it as 99%... and so does the guy who posted the dialogue...
Could be... I found the dialogue somewhere else and saved it as a text file. That's the one I went off of. It's a minor discrepancy... unless you really want to get anal about the population of the pluggies in the Matrix. Well, now I know of something to listen for when I see it again.

250,000 in Zion = .1% of 250,000,000, or 1% of 25,000,000.

There's a new trivia question for ya'. How many millions of human batteries does it take to power the machines?

Of course, that could get complicated by such things as, how many were born in Zion, how many were part of the ones who rejected the program, how long has this really been going on, how many were freed by the hackers..........

Considering a current world population of nearly 6.3 billion, even 250 million means the machines really did a number on the human race. But then, scorching the sky probably didn't help much either.

16 women plus 7 men equals 23, not 24
"The function of the One is now to return to the source allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry reinserting the prime program after which you will be required to select from the matrix 23 individuals, 16 female 7 male, to rebuild Zion."
The fact that he says "after" the temporary dissemination of the code, to me indicates that Neo would still be around to include himself with those who would rebuild Zion. Why would they choose 16 females but only 7 males if the One wasn't included?

ipkevin 05-24-03 12:02 AM

"The function of the One is now to return to the source allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry reinserting the prime program after which you will be required to select from the matrix 23 individuals, 16 female 7 male, to rebuild Zion."

Here's what I want to know: What does that mean? And more importantly, why does the Matrix need Zion to exist at all? The machines obviously know when humans are freed from the Matrix (hence Keanu automatically being "dumped" down the tube once he woke up in the first film), so why not just kill them immediately and be done with it? Why allow them to build up Zion again and again? Do they need him to reinsert the prime program (whatever that means!) for the Matrix to continue? And if so, who the hell would design a system like that?

pixel8or 05-24-03 01:11 AM

Whoa, deja vu.
101100010111010101100000110**GLITCH**!@#%%^**(%^@#$%$%&*^....................

What does that mean?
The Architect admitted that the Matrix had a flaw... but it was controllable. The One arises because of the flaw (the anomaly) and having him return to the source is how they recycle the code that he carries, because it's unique, so they can reload the Matrix with his new code. However, they need him to choose to do that. Normally, the One would go back to the source because he was given an affinity for the human race and would want it to continue on.

why does the Matrix need Zion to exist at all?
Zion is the channel through which the One is revealed.

Do they need him to reinsert the prime program (whatever that means!) for the Matrix to continue?
Apparently so. Not doing it causes a failure.

who the hell would design a system like that?
Artificial Intelligence that doesn't understand the intricacies of the human being. Again... the Architect admits it's flawed. The current system keeps the flaw in check.

At least, that's my answer for tonight... tomorrow I might have different ideas.... As the Oracle said, "Who knows, that's the way these things go."

Tyler_Durden 06-12-03 02:32 PM

Why would they choose 16 females but only 7 males if the One wasn't included?
"Mein Führer, I can walk!" :D

Patman 06-12-03 02:50 PM

The One doesn't come back as one of the 23. He only gets to pick the 16 women, 7 men FROM the Matrix to reseed Zion as the Matrix gets reloaded and Zion is reborn. Once the One blows his code into the Source, he's done for.