Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Merovingian dialouge?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Merovingian dialouge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-03, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merovingian dialouge?

Can someone post the Merovingian's conversation?
Old 05-21-03, 12:05 AM
Banned

Putain d'encule de merde connard, etc.
Old 05-21-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
It was just a bunch of swearing wasn't it?
Old 05-21-03, 01:19 AM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
Well, I tried some Google searches like +merovingian +matrix +dialogue that didn't help. Then, with a what-the-hell attitude, I ran the stupidest search of my Internet career: "like wiping your ass with silk"!

I got nuthin'! Except for some isolated bits (as in, just that line, and little else), but not the "Here's all of Mero's dialogue!" I was hoping for.
Old 05-21-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's like wiping your ass with velvet. Man that guy was so cool.
Old 05-21-03, 04:07 AM

***SPOILER ALERT!!!***

Merovingian- I have heard so much, you honor me, please sit, join us. This is my wife Persephone. Something to eat, drink? Hmph... Of course such things are contrivances, like so much here, for the sake of appearances.

Neo- No, thank you.

Merovingian- Yes, of course. Who has time? Who... has... time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time? Chateau...(he names the french wine) Magnificent wine. I love French wine, like I love the French language. I have sampled every language, French is my favorite. Fantastic language! Especially to curse with. (he lets out a few lines of french) It's like wiping your ass with silk, I love it!

Morpheus- You know why we are here.

Merovingian- I am a trafficker of information, I know everything I can. The question is, do you know WHY you are here?

Morpheus- We are looking for the Keymaker.

Merovingian- Ah yes, that is true. The Keymaker, of course. But this is not a reason, this is not a WHY. The Keymaker himself, his very nature, is a means, it is not an end. So, to look for him is to be looking for a means to... do... what?

Neo- You know the answer to that question.

Merovingian- But do you? You think you do, but you do not. You are here because you were sent here. You were told to come here and then you obeyed. Hehehe... It is, of course, the way of all things. You see, there is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth.... Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Morpheus- Everything begins with choice.

Merovingian- No! Wrong! Choice is an illusion, created between those with power and those without. Look there, at that woman. My god, just look at her. Affecting everyone around her, so obvious, so bourgeois, so boring. But wait... Watch, you see, I have sent her a dessert. A very special dessert. I wrote it myself. It starts so simply, each line of the program creating a new fate. Just like... poetry. First, a rush, heat, her heart flutters. You can see it, Neo, yes? She does not understand. Why? Is it the wine? No. What is it then, what is the reason? Soon it does not matter. Soon the why and the reason are gone, and all that matters is the feeling itself. This is the nature of the universe. We struggle against it, we fight to deny it. It is, of course, pretense, it is a lie. Beneath our poised appearance, the truth is we are completely out of control. Causality, there is no escape from it. We are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it. To understand the why. Why is what separates us from them, you from me. Why is the only real source of power, without it you are powerless. And this is how you come to me, without why, without power. Another link in the chain. But fear not, since I have seen how good you are at following orders, I will tell you what to do next. Run back and give the fortune teller this message - Her time is almost up. Now, I have some real business to do, so I will say adieu and goodbye.

Neo- This isn't over.

Merovingian- Oh, yes it is! The Keymaker is mine and I see no reason why I should give him up. No reason at all.

Persephone- Where are you going?

Merovingian- Please, my cherie, I've told you, we are all victims of causality. I drink too much wine, I must take a piss.

Last edited by pixel8or; 05-21-03 at 04:10 AM.
Old 05-21-03, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice pixel8or!
Old 05-21-03, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why ask Why? Drink Bud Dry.
Old 05-21-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't make much heads or tails out of what he said, but I'm starting to like it very much.
Old 05-21-03, 11:41 AM

I can't make much heads or tails out of what he said, but I'm starting to like it very much.
Maybe it's not so much what he says as what it reveals about him that matters. Several things I got from it.

Seraph said the Oracle has many enemies... the Merovingian said to tell the 'fortune teller' (has to be the Oracle) her time is almost up. So I'm assuming Merovingian is one of her enemies.

This is a plot twist showing there are programs in the Matrix who enjoy power and prestige, in a gangster like way. I think Merovingian is also the first one to mention that Neo had predecessors. That obviously ties into Neo being the sixth 'One.'

Programs in the Matrix enjoy human pleasures... food, wine, sex.

It continues to build on the choice vs. fate thing with the idea of causality being thrown in. Causality would fit with machine logic way of thinking... boolean and/or/if/not.

Programs can write programs that effect other people. ( was dessert girl a plugged in human, or another program?) The Oracle said Merovingian was a very dangerous program. Maybe that's why.

This whole scene may have just been a setup for Persephone and Neo to kiss, if there really is anything to that kiss, or to introduce Persephone as one who likes having her own kind of power.

Any other speculations out there?

Last edited by pixel8or; 05-21-03 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-21-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, dessert girl looked an awful lot like the Woman In The Red Dress from the first movie. Maybe she is a program after all...
Old 05-21-03, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This whole scene may have just been a setup for Persephone and Neo to kiss, if there really is anything to that kiss, or to introduce Persephone as one who likes having her own kind of power.
Persphone really likes to kiss. she does so with Ghost and Niobe in the ETM game. I'm surprised she didn't lay one on Trinity.. now that would have been
Old 05-21-03, 01:45 PM

if the merovingian religous theme continues through, the kiss is VERY important as it from the right person is needed to restore the wasteland and zion. but who knows if it'll get that deep or if the brothers just took the idea from the merovingian religion
Old 05-21-03, 10:17 PM

Pexl8tor said:
I think Merovingian is also the first one to mention that Neo had predecessors
Either I'm blind or something is missing from the dialogue because I find no reference to him knowing his predecessors in that dialogue. It is weird because you are not the first to say he mentioned the "other" ones and for the life of me, I seem to recall him saying something similar as well.

Blind or missing or never was said???

Tman
Old 05-21-03, 10:27 PM

Originally posted by tbmiller
Pexl8tor said:

Either I'm blind or something is missing from the dialogue because I find no reference to him knowing his predecessors in that dialogue. It is weird because you are not the first to say he mentioned the "other" ones and for the life of me, I seem to recall him saying something similar as well.

Blind or missing or never was said???

Tman
I don't think it was during the restaurant scene, I believe it was after the staircase fight scene.
Old 05-22-03, 12:02 AM

Either I'm blind or something is missing from the dialogue because I find no reference to him knowing his predecessors in that dialogue.
jim_cook87 is correct. I was thinking about later during the staircase fight, but didn't specify that. My bad.
Old 05-24-03, 01:33 PM

stolen from matrixfans.net--copy the French and paste in Babelfish to translate--it won't be perfect, but you'll get the idea:
"I have sampled every language -- french is my favorite -- fantastic language, especially to curse with... Nom de dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère.."
Old 05-24-03, 02:53 PM

copy the French and paste in Babelfish to translate--it won't be perfect, but you'll get the idea:
LoL! Thanks... I was wondering about that.
Old 05-24-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is what I got:

Name of god of whore of bloody hell of filths of jerks of f@cked up the @ss your mother
Old 05-24-03, 09:25 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
I "studied" francais (that's "French" in, uh, French) for 6 years, and after seeing Mero's scenes three times, the only translations I was able to make on my own were merde = sh** and c'est rien, c'est rien du tout = it's nothing, it's nothing at all.

Wow, I suck. Pretty soon I'll forget how to say bonjour.
Old 06-12-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Pardon my French, but I thought the Merovingian's delivery right before the Chateau fight was s**ty. It was overdone and just silly. Otherwise he was all right (I especially liked his pronunciation of "piss").