Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Neo as machine - does this clear anything up?{Spoilers}

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been reading the Architect conversation - attempting to make sense of the Matrix Reloaded. I don't know about you all - but the entire Architect scene threw me for a crazy loop. All of the things that Morpheus had convinced Neo (& me as the viewer) no longer were correct. Instead of destroying the Matrix, we learn that Neo is not the only "One". Here are a couple of excerpts from the entire Architect conversation.

"The function of the One is now to return to the source allowing a temporary dissemination of the code you carry, reinserting the prime program. After which you will be required to select from the Matrix, 23 individuals, 16 female, 7 male to rebuild Zion. Failure to comply with this process will result in a cataclysmic system crash, killing everyone connected to the Matrix, which coupled with the extermination of Zion will ultimately result in the extinction of the entire human race."

"It is interesting reading your reactions. Your five predecessors were, by design, based on a similar predication, a contigent affirmation that was meant to create a profound attachment to the rest of your species, facilitating the function of the One. While the others experienced this in a very general way, your experience is far more specific... vis-a-vis... love."

The first paragraph speaks of reinserting the prime program. Now if Neo were only a "freed" human, I can see taking the code from him to learn of his adaptation to the Matrix. This was undoubtedly assist the architect in the building of the next Matrix. But to reload the prime program makes me question what Neo is.

The second paragraph refers to his predecessors (previous "Ones") as reacting "by design". Now that has to mean that the "One" is simply another program within the Matrix, serving a purpose like any other. How else could they be "by design"?

Anyone care to address these statements? Trying to interpret the Matrix Reloaded has been quite a feat for us all.
Old 05-19-03, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree the Architect made it clear that Neo was designed - although he also refers to him as an anomaly. But if you were an architect, AND a machine, wouldnt you talk in similar technical terminology? In other words, when the Architect says "designed" - maybe he means something else (e.g. destined).
Old 05-19-03, 01:54 PM

Even the humans in the Matrix are operating as programs. Consider a computer game, you sit at the keyboard a human being, controlling an entity within the game. You have the limits, capabilities and purposes that your digital self was designed to have.

The digital body you were confined to would by necessity affect your mental development. So even though as a human one would be able to demonstrate some decision-making and individual traits and personalities, those are going to be limited and influenced by the program the individual is plugged into. So the Matrix can, to some extent, design people...