Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Neo's dream - Does anyone think this is strange? [SPOILERS]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neo dreamed about Trinity's death. Don't you think it's odd that he knew it was going to happen like that?

After all, dreams don't usually come true EXACTLY as they are dreamt. It's almost as if the dream was planted in his head (or vice versa).

I know they love each other, but come on.... something else MUST be going on.

-vivarey

Last edited by vivarey; 05-19-03 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-19-03, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My guess....
Spoiler:
he's making it happen! He was told in the first moive that "When the Matrix was first built, there was a man born inside who had the ability to change whatever he wanted, to remake the Matrix as he saw fit"
Old 05-19-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting theory... maybe Neo's subconscious IS the Matrix.
Old 05-19-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
I think Neo was created by the machines, maybe genetically engineered to be the One so that he can re-create Zion after the machines destory it. As such, maybe he has a certain connection with the machines which may be why he was able stop the sentinals.
Old 05-19-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

and this explains the dream too? i agree that Neo might have some connection to the matrix, but how can he tell the future exactly as it will happen?

this reminds me of the oracle's speech... when she said everything has already happened.
Old 05-19-03, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, it didn't happen like that! What Neo thinks he saw was Trinity falling into the car - what really happend it was the agent (Or the body that the agent had taken over) falling into the car.
Old 05-19-03, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What Neo thinks he saw was Trinity falling into the car - what really happend it was the agent (Or the body that the agent had taken over) falling into the car.
Isn't that what would have happened if Neo didn't intervene?
Old 05-19-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who knows? If Neo can see the future in his dreams ..then what he saw was the agent flying into the car. If he change the future, then it was Trinity.
Old 05-19-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If Neo doesn't intervene, it's Trinity and then the Agent slamming into the car.
Old 05-19-03, 06:08 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, of course! In the first dream, we never see Trinity's body hit the car. It must be the Agent's. So Neo was actually seeing the future, just a selective version of it, to get him to do what was necessary.
Old 05-19-03, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Neo was actually seeing the future, just a selective version of it, to get him to do what was necessary.
I agree- but how was he able to see into the future?
Old 05-19-03, 09:06 PM

I'm starting to believe that Neo has psychic abilities. Proof #1 is his ability to stop the sentinelsin the real world. Proff #2 is the dream.

With a movie like this, we are all being pulled along by the Wachowskis, who have created a world where the rules are revealed as each film moves along. As long as they don't take back anything from the previous 2 films ("it was all just a dream, or was it! Whoa!"), then we'll understand everything in the end.

At least they aren't making films based on a 20 year hiatus of telling stories written by other writers, fans, etc. while sitting on their lazy ass at a RANCH and counting money!
Old 05-19-03, 09:14 PM

I think we come into the movie at the end of the Architect's 5th reload, watching remnants of this previous reload bleeding into the next One's (Neo's) dream state. A subtle pushing in the pattern the Architect wants.

Last edited by Hannibal; 05-19-03 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-19-03, 09:19 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

But suppose Neo went back in time and killed his grand father before his father was born..... oops, wrong movie.
Old 05-19-03, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by bhk
But suppose Neo went back in time and killed his grand father before his father was born..... oops, wrong movie.
And also what were the odds Neo would find Doc's whereabouts in the Old West.
Old 05-19-03, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

After all, dreams don't usually come true EXACTLY as they are dreamt. It's almost as if the dream was planted in his head (or vice versa).
Was it really EXACTLY the same? One time the guards have an exchange about sleeping on the job (Count sheep at home./Why? I get paid to count 'em here.) Both times they could have included this (I believe the camera was in position to catch this the first time after coming out of the clock).

Probably not a big deal but it might say something about what Neo can foresee (i.e., not everything).
Old 05-19-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One time the guards have an exchange about sleeping on the job (Count sheep at home./Why? I get paid to count 'em here.
Good point- that little exchange would have made more sense in the "real" version of that sequence. But I think the point is clear - the vision came true precisely as Neo dreamt. Right down to every bullet.
Old 05-22-03, 07:12 PM

You need to watch the Animatrix.

Spoiler:

In one of the Animatrix shorts there is a kid who has dreams of what happens in the future as well. He is also the kid who is following Neo around in Zion.

Last edited by lance; 05-22-03 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-22-03, 08:06 PM

Neo dreamed about Trinity's death. Don't you think it's odd that he knew it was going to happen like that?
Oracle: You have the sight now, Neo. You are looking at the world without time.
I think Neo was created by the machines, maybe genetically engineered to be the One so that he can re-create Zion after the machines destory it.
The agent that he dodges the bullets from in M1 walks up to him after he hits the ground, aims at him and says, "Only human."

The 3 agents that kick the door down at the begining of Reloaded say something like, "He is still, after all, only human."

In Zion when he meets counsellor Harmann and they both can't sleep, the counsellor says "That's good, it shows that you are still human".

The Architect says, "although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human."

When Neo gets cut in the stair case sword fight in Reloaded, the Marovingian says, "You see, he is only a man."

Do you think they are trying to tell us something?
Old 05-22-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Kellehair
Was it really EXACTLY the same? One time the guards have an exchange about sleeping on the job (Count sheep at home./Why? I get paid to count 'em here.) Both times they could have included this (I believe the camera was in position to catch this the first time after coming out of the clock).

Probably not a big deal but it might say something about what Neo can foresee (i.e., not everything).
thats all in the editing, they spent the first five minutes of the film on that scene. why will they repeat the same exact footage as before? it's a sort of sum up of what happened earlier. something that happens in the editing room to save some time. You already know whats going to happen so they just rush through it.
Old 05-22-03, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pixel8or

The agent that he dodges the bullets from in M1 walks up to him after he hits the ground, aims at him and says, "Only human."

The 3 agents that kick the door down at the begining of Reloaded say something like, "He is still, after all, only human."

In Zion when he meets counsellor Harmann and they both can't sleep, the counsellor says "That's good, it shows that you are still human".

The Architect says, "although the process has altered your consciousness, you remain irrevocably human."

When Neo gets cut in the stair case sword fight in Reloaded, the Marovingian says, "You see, he is only a man."

Do you think they are trying to tell us something?
Wow, did you recall all of that from memory or do you just happen to pay close attention everytime someone refers to Neo as "human"?
Old 05-22-03, 11:13 PM

Though Neo dreams about Trinity's fall and her getting shot, he never sees her die. Just the impact on the car (which will turn out later to be the Agent.)

He admits that much in his talk with the Oracle.
Oracle: What happens when you go through the door?

Neo: I see Trinity. And something happens... something bad. She starts to fall, and I wake up.

Oracle: Do you see her die?

Neo: No.

Neo: Then why can't I see what happens to her?

Oracle: We can never see past the choices we don't understand.

Neo: Are you saying I have to choose whether Trinity lives or dies?

Oracle: No. You've already made the choice. Now you have to understand it.
So, he doesn't see her die because he can't see past the choice he doesn't understand. And he doesn't understand the choice because, at that point, he doesn't even know that a choice -- Zion or Trinity? -- will be involved.

When Neo's finally given the choice, he acts out of Love and Hope.

It's worth noting that, even though the Architect tells him "the simple and obvious truth, she is going to die and there is nothing you can do to stop it" that he is wrong. Unlike his predecessors, Neo not only chooses to return to the Matrix instead of going to the Source, he also succeeds in saving Trinity.

I think Revolutions will show that, rather than the Prophecy being false (which Neo believes at the end of Reloaded), it is, in fact, true: The One will save humanity. And, as I've mentioned in another thread, I also think that that was the Oracle's intention from the beginning, when she helped the Architect "fix" the Matrix -- basically, planting the seed that would lead to the eventual end of the Machines' dominance. It's just taken 6 trys for it to finally bear fruit.
Old 05-22-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thats all in the editing, they spent the first five minutes of the film on that scene. why will they repeat the same exact footage as before? it's a sort of sum up of what happened earlier. something that happens in the editing room to save some time. You already know whats going to happen so they just rush through it.
I'm pretty sure you see the same guy punch out each time. He's the last one to leave. The first time they show the scene the guard behind the desk is awake but the second time he's sleeping and the 2 guards have the short coversation about it. Maybe the short convo happens the first time and we don't see it but I don't see how the guard being asleep one time and not the other can be explained away.

I doubt this discrepancy is very important but it is there.
Old 05-22-03, 11:21 PM

Wow, did you recall all of that from memory or do you just happen to pay close attention everytime someone refers to Neo as "human"?
LoL... I spend way too much time in the Matrix, I guess. I've seen Reloaded 4 times, plus I've been taking some notes. I lost track of how many times I've seen M1... at least a dozen or so.

Did I mention I really like these movies?
Old 05-23-03, 08:43 AM

Trinity did die, the Architect was right. Neo saved her out of love, i'm guessing that none of the previous ONE's could have done such a thing without that feeling of love, which they didn't have