Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thoughts and questions on Merovingian (SPOILERS)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something occurred to me when I heard Persephone say to Neo "he used to be like you" or something like that. I was wondering if Merovingian used to be a "One" in a previous destruction of Zion and was eventually absorbed into the Matrix. We never got to see him showcase his 'skills'.

If I understood it correctly, he was a program that was separate from the Matrix. Was he against the Matrix or with it? What was he guarding the keymaker for? Why keep him alive? Why hold him at all?
Old 05-18-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
alot in here about that:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=292627
Old 05-19-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, but I didn't see anyone ask these questions. So I guess I just want to know if anyone can answer these questions, because I must've missed something in the movie.
Old 05-19-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by hahn
Okay, but I didn't see anyone ask these questions. So I guess I just want to know if anyone can answer these questions, because I must've missed something in the movie.
The question was addressed in that thread.

There are no 'answers' but the way the film is set up it appears that the Merovignian is an early prior version of The One. This would explain Persephone's desire to re-experience the full and true loving kiss of a One, also would explain the 'I was once like you' comment by the Mervignian. Being an early version of The One would explain his understanding of the value of the Keymaker, and his encounters with later versions of The One.

So there you have the theory that seems to best explain their interactions.
Old 05-19-03, 12:18 PM

There's something about Persophone's lipstick.... I don't know what, but in the game Enter the Matrix she kisses both Ghost and Niobe. Some kind of code or something... I can't wait to find out. I have a feeling she'll have an important part in Revolutions.
Old 05-19-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by CheapBastid
The question was addressed in that thread.

There are no 'answers' but the way the film is set up it appears that the Merovignian is an early prior version of The One. This would explain Persephone's desire to re-experience the full and true loving kiss of a One, also would explain the 'I was once like you' comment by the Mervignian. Being an early version of The One would explain his understanding of the value of the Keymaker, and his encounters with later versions of The One.

So there you have the theory that seems to best explain their interactions.
Not about Merovingnian being a previous "One", but his role in the Matrix and the role of the Key Maker. The Matrix hunters are trying to KILL the Key Maker. Merovingnian doesn't want him killed, just wants to hold him prisoner. BUT, he also doesn't want to give him over to Neo, who he knows is The One and could take down the Matrix. So what value is the Key Maker to him? Whose side is he on?
Old 05-19-03, 03:29 PM

i think the Merovingian just wants to continue going on as he has become accustomed to, just enjoying his power(though the oracle says he's seeking what all men with power want, more power..........not sure what that means). he doesn't want the keymaker destroyed as he gives the Merovingian access to all manner of doors. and he doesn't want neo to have him for fear of the matrix being forever shut down
Old 05-19-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He's pretty wimpy if he is a former One, doesn't even try to take on Neo at all. Lost his ability to control the Matrix? Lost his edge since he spends his time cheating on the wife?

Seems more realistic that he is what they said. An old program that hides out in the Matrix gathering power mostly in the form of information. Why? Not sure, it'll come up in November.

Do you notice that the programs that are anomalies all seem to act more human? Desiring power and whatnot.

Uh, daytrip, if you don't know what that means about wanting more power, study up on ANY politician. All will be revealed. Or any CEO would work, too.
Old 05-19-03, 08:50 PM

If he was an old "One", the question that brings to mind for me is what happened to his body (if you assume we are told the truth about the human fields)? The assumption is this version of the Matrix is at least 100 years old (could be false), so his body probably would have died, even if he was the immediately prior "One". If you think he is a prior "One", is his existance now only in the Matrix code?

Sorry for all the assumptions, but I don't think anything we believe can be proven to be the "reality" at this point. (Aren't scare quotes fun?)