Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A question about the “Highway” reference (SPOILERS)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-18-03, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this was been addressed already, I apologize. I did a search and couldn’t find it mentioned. It also may mean nothing but it stuck in my mind.

When Morphius told Trinity to take the Highway (when escaping with the “Keymaker” while being chased by the twins). Trinity looked afraid and said something to the effect of, “You told me never to go on the highway” and something else about how dangerous it was.

Now I know our highways are bad but… What was she referring to? It seemed to have greater meaning. Why would bad asses like Trinity and Morphius avoid highways?
Old 05-18-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was wondering that, myself.
Old 05-18-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since anyone who isn't unplugged can become an agent it seems like adding a lot of cars and high speeds to the mix would typically be a bad idea if you're trying to escape.
Old 05-18-03, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's the uncertain "drive-by shooting" phenomena if you get on the freeway.
Old 05-18-03, 12:12 PM

Few escape routes. Many possible enemies. No hard lines to zap out of the Matrix.

At least, that's what I figured...
Old 05-18-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I figured since there is a lot of possible enemies and little amounts of room and exist, it would be a bad place if you were to be noticed as something out of the ordinary.
Old 05-18-03, 01:14 PM
Banned

Speaking of which, anyone knows where I can find a cool looking wallpapaer of Trinity on the motorcycle scene?
Old 05-18-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by yecul
Few escape routes. Many possible enemies. No hard lines to zap out of the Matrix.

At least, that's what I figured...
Yeah, this about sums it up.
Old 05-19-03, 03:22 AM

Speaking of which, anyone knows where I can find a cool looking wallpapaer of Trinity on the motorcycle scene?
You mean like this?

Or maybe this?

Old 05-19-03, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: A question about the “Highway” reference (SPOILERS)

Originally posted by DeputyDave

Now I know our highways are bad but… What was she referring to? It seemed to have greater meaning. Why would bad asses like Trinity and Morphius avoid highways?
ever been on a LA Freeway?

now u know.
Old 05-19-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I suppose you all are right... it just seemed to be more important that. They went out of their way to emphasize it.
Old 05-19-03, 02:14 PM

I just thought that when she said that she inferred that she was a bad driver. But then she proved me completely wrong. I guess Tank did have "How to drive like Steve Mcqueen" on smartmedia.
Old 05-19-03, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
really? i thought she performed horribly in the chase scene. i remarked to my friend "damn women drivers"

she just drove straight waiting to be shot. not saying i could do better (certainly couldn't), but maybe i expected better.

by the way, the freeway scene was a nice cadillac commercial.

also, everyone in those cars on the freeways are dead now, right? you die in the matrix, you die in real life? the body count here must have been crazy.
Old 05-19-03, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Big Boy Laroux
by the way, the freeway scene was a nice cadillac commercial.
Strange, another poster mentioned all the cars were Oldsmobile Aleros...
Old 05-19-03, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by jim_cook87
Strange, another poster mentioned all the cars were Oldsmobile Aleros...
actually a friend of mine commented that it was his worse nightmare................a highway filled with oldsmobiles and not an exit in sight
Old 05-19-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that shows 2 things.
1) Olds put a bit into this movie for marketing reasons.
2) They made waaaayyy too many of those POSs and needed to blow a few up.
Old 05-19-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It matters not really, since even agents can't actually hit anything when they fire their guns. Okay, maybe a few times, but not on a freeway.

stoolie
Old 05-19-03, 04:13 PM

i doubt it would be much fun if the agents just killed everyone in the car on the freeway that would be a pretty crappy ending if you ask me
Old 05-19-03, 04:41 PM

The number of bullets that one Twin put into their car without scratching any of them was a bit much to take. Plus when the agent is firing at them you see the door on Trinity's side get hit right where her arm would be. The agents are using Desert Eagles... not sure which caliber, .357 mag, .44 mag, .50 AE, or .440 Cor-Bon. Any one of those would penetrate a car door with plenty of punch left over on the other side.

Oh well... Hollywood.
Old 05-19-03, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by pixel8or
Oh well... Hollywood.
yep, not saying it actually would have happend that way, just saying it couldn't really happen anyway else unless we want a dead or armless trinity
Old 05-19-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GM (Pontiac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Buick, GMC, Saturn and Cadillac) donated the majority of the vehicles for this movie. If you're a car person, it really shows. The only non-GM automobiles I recall seeing was the BMW that gets smashed before the highway chase and few assorted cars in the garage.

I can't figure out why they donated Oldsmobiles though. Oldsmobile was 'officially' killed off a few years ago, though it seems to be on some bizarre kind of life support. Olds dealers and products are still being sold, but they aren't getting anything fresh. So, if Olds is going to die, why put their cars in the movie and pay for their advertisment?
Old 05-20-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
well, the two cars that got the most screen time were the escalade EXT and the caddy trinity was driving.

the rest were just there for demolishing, right? i guess they were just getting rid of old inventory, not trying to advertise them.
Old 05-20-03, 11:23 AM

the agents drove up in an Audi before the first neo/agents fight
Old 05-20-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Big Boy Laroux
the rest were just there for demolishing, right? i guess they were just getting rid of old inventory, not trying to advertise them.
Maybe, but the reason you give the cars to the movie houses in the first place is advertising. Granted, getting rid of old stock is probably a plus, but in this case, I'm at a loss to see how it helps.

Either GM is thinking of ressurecting Olds, or they threw a lot of money away just to 'dispose of old stock'. There are better and more profitable ways to dispose of old stock. It especially doesn't make much sense when I consider that rebadging those cars as Buicks or Pontiacs wouldn't have cost much, wouldn't have been that hard, and would have provided a better return on their money.

But, I don't think GM makes particularly smart decisions anyway.
Old 05-20-03, 02:02 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was thinking that the Caddy they were driving had to be armored heavily (at least the bodywork since the windows blew out like candy glass) to take that many bullets and not kill every single person inside. If not then that entire chase was bulldoody.

-BT