Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

After seeing both Matrix movies, I still have a big question

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-03, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before they freed Neo in the first movie, how did he even know of Morpheus or of the Matrix? I watched the first movie again last night and saw Reloaded this afternoon, and I still have no idea why he knew of them ahead of time.
Old 05-17-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you can assume that Morpheus and Trinity were handles of hackers that Neo could chat with over the internet. The name "Neo" was Thomas Anderson's internet handle. Little did he know that they really weren't hackers in his world but in a world that exists somewhere else. Of course, the new movie now says that EVERYTHING is the Matrix and we haven't yet seen the "real world" (and I don't know if we will).
Old 05-17-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Neo knew of (but not about) the Matrix too I believe before he was freed. I think this meant he was one of the special few (or maybe just the "one") who could feel that "splinter in [his/her] mind."
Old 05-17-03, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jaro, they do not say the "real world" is part of the matrix. that is something you assumed.

Anyhow. Neo was looking for Morpheus in the first. Morph and trinity were looking for Minds to free aswell as "the one". He knew of them ahead of time just by internet handle alone.
Old 05-17-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He knew Morpheus was a hacker. And he FELT that Morpheus, and Morpheus alone, could answer questions he had. He felt disconnected. He felt something was not right about his life. He felt there was something else to life. He felt/knew Morpheus could tell him the TRUTH.
Old 05-17-03, 11:22 PM
TCG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Morpheus was a big name in the news. This is seen on Neo's pc. The system knows Morpheus is a threat, and therefore, deems him a criminal to be caught. Morpheus is deemed a 'terrorist' by the Agents. They play him off as the bad guy when he's really the good guy. And try to enlist Neo to help them.

Watch M1 again.
Old 05-18-03, 11:03 AM

"Of course, the new movie now says that EVERYTHING is the Matrix and we haven't yet seen the "real world" (and I don't know if we will)."

No it doesn't, and that's not true. If the real world and zion weren't real, then the architect would have no reason to send 23 people to zion to rebuild it and keep it as a just in case, because if the matrix did crash and everyone in the matrix died, then everyone in zion would die too.
Old 05-18-03, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by cloudnin
No it doesn't, and that's not true. If the real world and zion weren't real, then the architect would have no reason to send 23 people to zion to rebuild it and keep it as a just in case, because if the matrix did crash and everyone in the matrix died, then everyone in zion would die too.
I have two thoughts on this:

1. The factor that made the Matrix finally work was that people were given a choice. For them to have a choice Zion must exist so they can choose to leave the Matrix for it. Remember we are talking machines and computer code, perhaps the only way they could make it work was to pre-populate Zion so that the location did exist to offer the choice...

2. Perhaps, allegorically speaking, the Promised Land must exist for people to aspire to it. Would God create Heaven only after people made it up and started to believe in it, or would he create it and offer it for people to believe? In part this is a movie about faith, belief and religion. So depending on what the final point is, it may be necessary to create Zion to complete the belief system...