DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/292597-post-your-inside-jokes-references-plot-holes-nitpicks-here.html)

Numanoid 05-15-03 10:42 AM

Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

As the title implies, I'd like to have this thread act as a clearinghouse for inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks, rather than trying to sift through all the other threads to find them.

So, post the cool little things you noticed that may have escaped other viewers. Also, post any problems you noticed which may have contradicted the stated logic and mechanics of the Matrix, etc.

I'll start with one of each:

Reference: During the car chase, there is a shot of a police radio and you here the dispatcher saying "One Adam-12, please respond". This is a reference to the late '60s cop show Adam-12, which the dispatcher would always call them by saying, "One Adam-12".

Nitpick: Also during the car chase, the chase is commencing down a single side of the highway, let's say Southbound for illustrative purposes. During their travel Southbound, they are causing the overturning and various wreckings of many, many cars. Now, we know that the Matrix follows real-world laws of physics for the most part, otherwise everyone would be a Neo. In the "real world", those accidents and wreckings would have halted traffic immediately as emergency crews responded and cleared the roadway. Traffic would then backup for miles. The problem is, a few minutes later, Trinity and the Key Master get on the motorcycle and drive into the traffic they just came from, or Northbound in the Southbound lane. Why is there so much traffic? Where is it coming from? Most or all of the traffic should have cleared from the point of the first wreck by then, and there is way more traffic than can be accounted for by entrance ramps along the way (I didn't even notice any). They should have logically been travelling on clear road until they came upon the scene of the earlier wrecks.

Have Fun!

Zodiac_Speaking 05-15-03 11:01 AM

Nitpick: the rave scene. Please! Overly long and pointless. Sentinels are coming w/in 36 hours, so what do you do? Plan an counterstrike? Plan an evaculation? No !!! Let's party!!!
No wonder they're dead at the end of the movie.

PixyJunket 05-15-03 11:25 AM

Joke: After the sex scene my friend and I both said "WHOA!".. when Trinity was like "What's wrong?" I had to add "..it happens to everyone, don't be ashamed!"

Numanoid 05-15-03 11:32 AM

Originally posted by pixyboi
Joke: After the sex scene my friend and I both said "WHOA!".. when Trinity was like "What's wrong?" I had to add "..it happens to everyone, don't be ashamed!"
Man, you and I are on the same wavelength today. I said pretty much the same thing, "don't worry it happens to a lot of guys". :)

candyrocket786 05-15-03 11:35 AM

Originally posted by jonpeters
Nitpick: the rave scene. Please! Overly long and pointless. Sentinels are coming w/in 36 hours, so what do you do? Plan an counterstrike? Plan an evaculation? No !!! Let's party!!!
No wonder they're dead at the end of the movie.

I felt like I was forced to watch a mindless session of Mtv's The Grind.

DVD007 05-15-03 12:01 PM

I also hated the Rave scene...Pointless and WAY TOO LONG in my opinion....

I was wondering....In the beginning when the two crew men are running from Smith and one gets away with an envelope and the other gets absorbed....The one man states to the other...you must get this to them....If your in the matrix...Is there anything to "get to them?"....

Bruce

CheapBastid 05-15-03 02:18 PM

I wanted to see more...

... but I didn't catch many references in this film.

The "One Adam 12" made me laugh out loud.

Did you notice that the candy the oracle eats looked very similar to the red pill of the first film?

I had a real problem with all the shooting on the freeway. If the agents are 'upgrades' don't you think they could hit you easily shooting from a moving car?

Also, taking Chaos Theory into mind, wouldn't it be nigh impossible for the many versions of the previous 'One' to be dressed the same? In that same scene, it seems impossible to me that a 'One' that came far enough to get to that point would flip off The Architect, kind of a futile gesture.

CheapBastid 05-15-03 02:22 PM

The Rave Scene

I knew it was going to hit a sour note with the core fanbase, but I didn't mind it. Realize that Zion is not made up of Matrix fans.

;)

It was there to provide a stark contrast between the logos of the machine world and the sensuality of the biological beings that humans are.

outcastja 05-15-03 02:22 PM

I thought the fight scene with Oracle's bodyguard and Neo was a homage of sorts to the first fight scene in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. They were similar in the way they fought and how it was directed IMO.

CheapBastid 05-15-03 02:28 PM

Jesus! I forgot!

=)

Lotta Jesus references too.

I laughed out loud at one scene transition that put you on eye level with a bunch of photos of Jesus on a street vendor's table, then pulls back and you see a Krishna too.

Good stuff.

CheapBastid 05-15-03 02:36 PM

Le Vrai

The name of the Restaurant they visit is 'The Truth'

Numanoid 05-15-03 02:55 PM

The girlfriend/wife of the French dude was named Persephone. In mythology, Persephone is abducted by Hades, king of the Underworld, and forced to be his wife. May explain why she was so willing to betray him. :) Also, of note in mythology, when Orpheus (!) came to the Underworld looking for his wife, Persephone was the first to be entranced by his song, which persuaded her to help him in his desire to bring back to life his dead wife. Maybe a little mixing of Orpheus and Neo there in regard to the dead wife (Trinity who will later die and be brought back to life).

Also, the French dude was called Merovingian. The Merovingians were a dynasty of Frankish kings who ruled a (frequently fluctuating) area in present-day France from the 5th to the 8th century AD.

fazeem 05-15-03 02:56 PM

Spoiler:
When Neo is with the architect of the Matrix and he is talking about reprogramming the Matrix to account for Mankind's nasty side on the multitude of tv screens is (along with a shot of Hitler) there is a shot of Pres. George W Bush

CheapBastid 05-15-03 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Also, the French dude was called Merovingian. The Merovingians were a dynasty of Frankish kings who ruled a (frequently fluctuating) area in present-day France from the 5th to the 8th century AD.
I think the reference they were going for was...

Legend has it that the Merovingian dynasty was descended from the House of David. Merovingians believe they are descended from the union between Jesus and Mary Magdalen

Numanoid 05-15-03 03:34 PM

Originally posted by CheapBastid
I think the reference they were going for was...
Good catch. There is yet another view which says that

the origins of the Merovingian race, and the mystery that surrounds them, lies ultimately with a race of beings, "Nephilim," or "Fallen Angels," who created mankind as we know him today, and with a civilization, far more ancient than recorded history, from which came all of the major arts and sciences that are basic to civilizations everywhere, even unto today.

Kal-El 05-15-03 03:35 PM

That's what I thought of as well CheapBastid, especially having just read The Da Vinci Code.

DVDho78DTS 05-15-03 03:42 PM

Re: Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

Nitpick: Also during the car chase, the chase is commencing down a single side of the highway, let's say Southbound for illustrative purposes. During their travel Southbound, they are causing the overturning and various wreckings of many, many cars. Now, we know that the Matrix follows real-world laws of physics for the most part, otherwise everyone would be a Neo. In the "real world", those accidents and wreckings would have halted traffic immediately as emergency crews responded and cleared the roadway. Traffic would then backup for miles. The problem is, a few minutes later, Trinity and the Key Master get on the motorcycle and drive into the traffic they just came from, or Northbound in the Southbound lane. Why is there so much traffic? Where is it coming from? Most or all of the traffic should have cleared from the point of the first wreck by then, and there is way more traffic than can be accounted for by entrance ramps along the way (I didn't even notice any). They should have logically been travelling on clear road until they came upon the scene of the earlier wrecks.
This type of thing bothers me too. However, I'm not really sure if Trinity went back into the direction she just came from. They show her on the overpass jumping on top of the truck with the motorcycles. They show the police cars entering the highway soon after she gets on the motorcycle, as if to show they aren't on the same side. I'd have to watch it again to be sure. Everything was happening so fast. Maybe you remember that scene better than I do. I dunno. heh :)

jdpatri 05-15-03 04:24 PM

Re: I wanted to see more...

Originally posted by CheapBastid

Also, taking Chaos Theory into mind, wouldn't it be nigh impossible for the many versions of the previous 'One' to be dressed the same? In that same scene, it seems impossible to me that a 'One' that came far enough to get to that point would flip off The Architect, kind of a futile gesture.

I don't interpet the video images that way.

I think they were the representations of Neo's choices about how to respond to the Architects questions. They weren't the previous "ones"; they were all different thoughts in Neo's mind.

CheapBastid 05-15-03 04:48 PM

Merovingian

Good catch.
Thanks, that lead me to this:

The Merovingian Mythos

mdc3000 05-15-03 06:50 PM

continuity, revealing mistakes: In the Burly Brawl, you can clear see at least six guys who aren't Agent Smith... some with longer hair etc.... quite obvious...

Neo jumps up in the air, does a flip or something (can't remember) during the burly brawl and it's clearly a stunt double (you see a glimpse of his face towards the end of the shot)...a stunt double who has a GOATEE... I thought this was horrible!!!

I noticed these on the first time I saw the flick, but it was glaringly obvious the second time...

MATT

Numanoid 05-15-03 07:16 PM

Re: Re: Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

Originally posted by DVDjunkie78
This type of thing bothers me too. However, I'm not really sure if Trinity went back into the direction she just came from. They show her on the overpass jumping on top of the truck with the motorcycles. They show the police cars entering the highway soon after she gets on the motorcycle, as if to show they aren't on the same side. I'd have to watch it again to be sure. Everything was happening so fast. Maybe you remember that scene better than I do. I dunno. heh :)
If that's true, there's still a flaw. She begins by travelling WITH the flow of traffic, before turning against. If she were on the other side, she'd be passing all the wreckage created earlier, which you would see on the other side of the road (not to mention the huge gapers block which would have been created ;) ).

Numanoid 05-15-03 07:18 PM

Originally posted by mdc3000
Neo jumps up in the air, does a flip or something (can't remember) during the burly brawl and it's clearly a stunt double (you see a glimpse of his face towards the end of the shot)...a stunt double who has a GOATEE... I thought this was horrible!!!

There were also two or three shots in that sequence were the entire Neo body was clearly pure CGI. The expression on the face was just completely unnatural. Sort of like Michael Jackson. ;)

DVD007 05-15-03 10:09 PM

Re: Re: Re: Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

If that's true, there's still a flaw. She begins by travelling WITH the flow of traffic, before turning against. If she were on the other side, she'd be passing all the wreckage created earlier, which you would see on the other side of the road (not to mention the huge gapers block which would have been created ;) ).

I will have to see it again, but I thought at first they were going say north on a north and south highway and it crosses over an east/ west highway that she jumps to....This would clear up any problems created by the first car...Or were there a lot of crashes with the motorcycle too before she turned around?

Bruce

BigPete 05-15-03 10:23 PM

I coulda sworn there was a surgery scene in the first movie where they were pulling all of the plugs out of Neo's spine. I was rather surprised to see all of the buttonholes back in place during the sex scene.

Hell, maybe I was imagining things and I'm too lazy to go back and check. It just struck me as odd.

ChefWinduAZ 05-15-03 11:55 PM

Re: Re: I wanted to see more...

Originally posted by jdpatri
I don't interpet the video images that way.

I think they were the representations of Neo's choices about how to respond to the Architects questions. They weren't the previous "ones"; they were all different thoughts in Neo's mind.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it.