Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-03, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When Neo pulls the steel fence post out of the concrete - pure CGI and it looked really fake. Heck, they did a better job of that when Lee Majors did the same thing in an episode of the $6,000,000 man (the one where he launches it into the bad guy's trailer) and that was like what, 1975?

-Gunshy
Old 05-16-03, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Seemed like a lot of graffiti in the Oracle scene but I didn't think to read it til late. Anything interesting there?
Old 05-16-03, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Lokimok
Seemed like a lot of graffiti in the Oracle scene but I didn't think to read it til late. Anything interesting there?
I could make out the word "ONE" in grafitti. Not coincidentally near Neo.
Old 05-16-03, 09:52 AM
Suspended

During the fight between Neo and Seraph, when they're on the tables, you clearly see them kick all the cups and whatnot off the table, then there's a cut to a closeup of their feet and one of the cups is still on the table. You can see this in the promotional clip of the fight that was released.
Old 05-16-03, 02:36 PM

How about the Brides of Dracula playing when Monica Belluci? went back to the house? She was a bride of Dracula in Coppola's Dracula starring Keanu.
Old 05-16-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

When Morpheus, Trinity, and Neo walk into the restaurant, the level is 101. That is the same room as Neo's in the first movie. (101 = The One)
Old 05-16-03, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by chanster
When Morpheus, Trinity, and Neo walk into the restaurant, the level is 101. That is the same room as Neo's in the first movie. (101 = The One)
Plus (and more obviously) 101 is binary. It's binary for five, but what the hey ....
Old 05-16-03, 03:11 PM

actually isn't it binary for 4?
Old 05-16-03, 03:12 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by thephantom
actually isn't it binary for 4?
101 = 4 + 0 + 1
100 = 4
Old 05-16-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Enjoyed the movie, but the "rave" scene was more than a waste of time. Silly.
Old 05-16-03, 04:15 PM

Speaking of 101...

They got on the "101" freeway as well.

So is "101" the new "1138" hehe

Timmio
Old 05-16-03, 06:51 PM

Re: Re: Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

Originally posted by DVDjunkie78
This type of thing bothers me too. However, I'm not really sure if Trinity went back into the direction she just came from. They show her on the overpass jumping on top of the truck with the motorcycles. They show the police cars entering the highway soon after she gets on the motorcycle, as if to show they aren't on the same side. I'd have to watch it again to be sure. Everything was happening so fast. Maybe you remember that scene better than I do. I dunno. heh
I think Trinity and the Keymaster were in the opposite lane from the accidents, and then turned around in the same lane. I clearly noticed wreckage on the other side of the highway as they were being chased--I remember I thought it was a great touch and attention to detail.
Old 05-16-03, 06:58 PM

And on a completely different note, did anyone else catch
Spoiler:
well-known Princeton professor Cornel West as Councillor West
!? I wonder how he got involved in the project.
Old 05-16-03, 07:00 PM

Originally posted by DVD007
I was wondering....In the beginning when the two crew men are running from Smith and one gets away with an envelope and the other gets absorbed....The one man states to the other...you must get this to them....If your in the matrix...Is there anything to "get to them?"....
I think that was the message from the Oracle they had been awaiting.
Old 05-16-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by chanster
True... this also could add weight to the argument of The Merovingian being a previous "The One"... since they met him on floor 101...could he possibly be the first ONE?????

Also, Mentioned this in another thread... in any fully body shots of Persephone (Monica Bellucci) you can see through her dress... specifically, you can she her beautifully trimmed bush through the crotch of the dress...

MATT
Old 05-17-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The Rave Scene

Originally posted by CheapBastid
I knew it was going to hit a sour note with the core fanbase, but I didn't mind it. Realize that Zion is not made up of Matrix fans.

It was there to provide a stark contrast between the logos of the machine world and the sensuality of the biological beings that humans are.
I got that contrast too, but my problem wasn't the existence of the scene but rather the length of the scene. Really dragged on too long for my tastes.
Old 05-17-03, 01:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

Originally posted by angryyoungman
I think Trinity and the Keymaster were in the opposite lane...
Whew, I'm glad that I'm not the only one to keep refering to the key maker as the key master. I keep catching myself doing it, and I crack up almost every time. Rick Moranis should have been in this movie.
Old 05-17-03, 12:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Post your inside jokes, references, plot holes & nitpicks here.

Originally posted by AndyB976
Whew, I'm glad that I'm not the only one to keep refering to the key maker as the key master. I keep catching myself doing it, and I crack up almost every time. Rick Moranis should have been in this movie.
LOL, whoops... yes, I'm a diehard Ghostbusters fan, and couldn't help but make this slip.

"Are you the keymaster?"
Old 05-17-03, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by angryyoungman
I think that was the message from the Oracle they had been awaiting.
I understand that it is the message from Oracle, I just don't understand how holding an item in the matrix gets it to appear in the "Real World"....Can an object in the Matrix be Downloaded into the "Real World".

Bruce
Old 05-17-03, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DVD007
I understand that it is the message from Oracle, I just don't understand how holding an item in the matrix gets it to appear in the "Real World"....Can an object in the Matrix be Downloaded into the "Real World".
Bruce
The truth is, we haven't really seen the "real world" yet.
Old 05-17-03, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: The Rave Scene

Originally posted by CheapBastid
It was there to provide a stark contrast between the logos of the machine world and the sensuality of the biological beings that humans are.
I'm not following your use of "logos." Can you elaborate?
Old 05-17-03, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About the item getting from the Matrix to the real world, I don't think it would actually physically appear. I think it is like a file attachment to an e-mail; as his consciousness is downloaded back into his body, the item and the information it contained would be downloaded into their computer.

And I think about logos, Cheapbastid is referring to the Greek ideal of logos, or logical truth:

"The etymology of the logos, the Greek word behind "reason" and "logic," shows that the idea of synthesis is at the origin of these words. The Greek logos is the verbal noun of lego, which, if we follow one root leg means "to gather," "to collect," "to pick up," "to put together," and later "to speak or say." We already have the basic ideas of any rational endeavor. We begin by collecting individual facts and thoughts and put them together in an orderly way and usually say something about what we have created."
Old 05-17-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I noticed something after watching it through the second time today. When that French Guy was talking to Neo, he kept saying "predecessors", talking about the versions before. I didn't catch that until today.
Old 05-17-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
And I think about logos, Cheapbastid is referring to the Greek ideal of logos, or logical truth:
Thanks for the response. Perhaps I’m just reading more in CB’s comment than he intended. I did my original graduate work in classical languages and ancient history. Logos is one of those words with a wide range of meanings that depends both on the context and the period; e.g. pre-Sorcratic, Sophist, Christian, etc. But none of the definitions w/ which I am familiar seemed to fit. BTW: it’s true that Logos is the stem from which we derive the word “logic”, but it does not really have that meaning in Greek; although it’s sometimes translated as “rational.” And maybe that’s all he meant.
Old 05-17-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

315 and 23 references?

Anyone have any insights into the 315 and 23 references?

When the Keymaker said that the door could only be open for 315 seconds it just seemed kinda odd. I’ve given it some thought and haven’t come up w/ anything.

I’m assuming that 23 is a nod to Isaiah, the 23rd book of the Bible, which includes several references to Zion. E.g. from chapter 1: And the daughter of Zion is left as a cottage in a vineyard, as a lodge in a garden of cucumbers, as a besieged city. Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness. The 16 females and 7 males could refer to chapters. From Ch 7: And it came to pass in the days of Ahaz the son of Jotham, the son of Uzziah, king of Judah, that Rezin the king of Syria, and Pekah the son of Remaliah, king of Israel, went up toward Jerusalem to war against it, but could not prevail against it. From Ch 16: Send ye the lamb to the ruler of the land from Sela to the wilderness, unto the mount of the daughter of Zion.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Edited to add some of the potentially relevant quotes.

Last edited by audrey; 05-17-03 at 09:33 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.