Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Matrix Reloaded - just how bad is it?

Old 05-16-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Perfect?no,overhyped?yes

I thought the action sceens where the best ive seen but the story just wasnt there this time even though the story was still good,this is one of those movies where hype just kills it like Two Towers + the trailor for Revolutions at the end credits was a plus to,overall I give it 3/4 stars.

I think the W.brothers knew they couldnt surpass the first Matrix so they went in a diffrent direction and I think that will show once Nov.comes around,they have my 10 bucks.
Old 05-16-03, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And this has got to have the lamest soundtrack of any film I have ever scene - ever.
Yeah, I forgot about that. I can't believe some reviews call the acting and dialogue in this good.
Old 05-16-03, 04:00 AM
Banned

Originally posted by gkleinman
It's not a bad film, just a disapointing one. As a turn your brain off popcorn superhero movie it's a lot of fun. But it fails to meet the expectations set by the first film and all the damn hype that has gone on these past few months for the second.

I disagree. Thought it was excellent.
Old 05-16-03, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

did NOT live upto my expectations

Had some impressive eye candy set pieces but just didn't have any magic

X2 spits all over it!

little character development, Neo's powers were absurd, Carrie anne has aged 15 years in 6 years

won't watch it again at the theatres, will get the dvd

Overhyped is an appropriate word
Old 05-16-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've watched The Matrix prolly 10+ times so I was really pumped to see Reloaded on opening night... Only to be MAJORLY disappointed! Can't really say much that others haven't already mentioned..

Rave scene - totally stupid and VERY long. Putting this in totally changes the movie. Adding a sexual element to this movie was just stupid IMO.

Fight scenes - at first the fight scenes were like "Whoa.. This is sweet" but then it got to be like PLEASE STOP. The same stuff OVER and OVER and OVER.. Especially the Smith clone fight. That got to be soooo bad.. I mean I know the movie is fiction but to make it look that unbelievable.. Then heck.. I'll just fly away after 20 minutes of fighting these dudes...

One of the things that I didn't like the most was that more then half the movie took place in Zion. The science fiction part was very boring to me and often VERY confusing (scene with the architect).

I would say the best part of this movie was the key maker dude. He was funny!

Overall.. C
Old 05-16-03, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Terrell

Philosophical mumbo jumbo: It was a convoluted mess. It seemed the Wachowski's began to take themsevles too seriously after the first film, so they tried to make the franchise more important by adding in a bunch of philosophy that makes little sense. The first film succeeded because they kept the philosophy to a minimum, yet simple and effective level. Here, they went nutso. So much talking you'll tear your eardrums out.

While I didn't hate Reloaded by any means, the philosophy in the film was my major gripe. Although I can see your point about the action, etc., when it came to the "mumbo jumbo" it really pissed me off.
Old 05-16-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked it a lot overall, but agree with earlier posters that (1) it was dumb making him able to FLY. Makes NO sense to have Neo stand there and battle 100 agents when he can just "do that Superman thing" anytime he wants. Lame-o. And (2) the whole Neo/Trinity sex lovey-dovey thing was overboard as well. Blech.

I felt the movie picked up steam well after the first act, and the special effects were amazing, but with everyone basically being invincible, there's no real sense of looming danger to avoid/defeat. Not to complain too much, because I still thought was pretty darn good...
Old 05-16-03, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by uteotw
I felt the movie picked up steam well after the first act, and the special effects were amazing, but with everyone basically being invincible, there's no real sense of looming danger to avoid/defeat.
That was my biggest complaint as well (well, one of them). I just can't care about a fight scene if the character is invincible. And the fight scenes were so damn long!
Old 05-16-03, 10:51 AM
Banned

This film had a lot of problems.

For one thing the first half is boring and has endless scenes of dialogue where people either spout sci-fi gobledygook or wax philosophical like a bunch of pot heads. "Oh man, we control the machines but the machines control us...Whooooooaaaa Trippy"

The later half has many of this psydo-intellectual sillyness injected in between the action. If I have to sit through another sci-fi city council meeting I'm going to crap my pants!

But the action is AMAZING.

But the #1 problem with this film is the same problem the first film had: NO ONE IS A HERO, NO ONE EARNS ANYTHING, IT'S JUST HANDED TO THEM.

Rather than a hero who suffers, fails, learns, succeeds, and eventually triumphs, Neo is a character who is constantly approached by people who tell him everything he needs to know, they then down load all his "super powers" into him, and HE'S OFF! Well whoop-de-do!

"How do you know this stuff"
Keymaker: "I just do, because I'm the one who knows things"

Talk about duex ex machine. Both films are filled with this crap where the characters are aproached by strangers who do all the explaining and then the hero goes into action. Compare this to Dark City or Star Wars where the character must try and fail and discover things for himself. Not to mention that I'd rather have the things in the matrix revealed to me and shown to me visually rather than told to me. SHOW ME...DON'T TELL ME I can only listen to so much of this nonsense.
Old 05-16-03, 11:06 AM

Originally posted by Pants
But the #1 problem with this film is the same problem the first film had: NO ONE IS A HERO, NO ONE EARNS ANYTHING, IT'S JUST HANDED TO THEM.

That's the point. Neo has everything handed to him to guide him into doing what the Matrix wants. The One isn't some savior whose going to beat the machines, he's just another cog in the big wheel that is the Matrix. Maybe the first One was a suprise(the French guy perhaps?) but since then the "anomalies" have been incorporated into the routine just like everything else.

All he needs is a few pushes in the right direction. The Oracle isn't on his side, she's there to give the pushes. Morpheous and in fact all of Zion is her unwitting pawn. The Keymaker, the French guy, all there to push him in the right directions.

The only unknowns in the whole thing seems to be Smith and Neo's choice, and I'm not sure about those.
Old 05-16-03, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by thephantom
That's the point. Neo has everything handed to him to guide him into doing what the Matrix wants. The One isn't some savior whose going to beat the machines, he's just another cog in the big wheel that is the Matrix. Maybe the first One was a suprise(the French guy perhaps?) but since then the "anomalies" have been incorporated into the routine just like everything else.

All he needs is a few pushes in the right direction. The Oracle isn't on his side, she's there to give the pushes. Morpheous and in fact all of Zion is her unwitting pawn. The Keymaker, the French guy, all there to push him in the right directions.

The only unknowns in the whole thing seems to be Smith and Neo's choice, and I'm not sure about those.
Hence there is no drama and therefore the film is bad.

But the action kicks ass. Too bad I want more than that in a film.

I much prefer Star Wars and it's sense of silly fun, The Matrix is just too full of itself. It's too bloody serious for its own good.
Old 05-16-03, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

But this time it'll be different, Neo has evolved to the point where he can actually manipulate the real world, not just inside the Matrix. This is something that the Machines did not count on, and it will become their downfall.
Old 05-16-03, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aside from the Superman thing, if Neo can use "The Force" to summon weapons to him, why not just summon or disarm his opponents first right? (Stairway scene) That way, we can go back to the punch-punch-block-block-wire-fu-block-kick-punch-wire-fu routine.
Old 05-16-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Lets see the 8 minute skinemax scene at (basically) the beginning of the film. The police cruiser over taking a Ducatti (sp?) motorbike with a professional driver. The CGI in Neo's fight with the Smiths, a 4 year old at an Art Institute of Technology could make better renderings.

How did The Matrix become something from Digital Playground's Virtual Sex line in the restaurant (nothing like an orgasm rendered in 1s and 0s). The kid that Neo saved, who in the bloody hell was he and maybe a name would have been nice. Oh how about Ghost not being named either, he is Naobi's side kick, but we never hear his name. (The only reason I know it is from his interview about the VG.)

There were enough plot holes to make this movie painful to watch, and I waited 3 hours in line to see the damn thing. Lets see The Matrix (1st movie) was very cyberpunkesqe, with a lot of dependency on The Oracle and Philosophy, but with Reloaded, none of that matters any more. This was just painful.

I am sorry, but those that thought this was "awesome" or "amazing" really must have been watching another movie because this was no where near The Matrix. Hell I am probably more excited to see Bad Boys II than Revolutions, because if Revolutions is as bad as this we really have a problem.
Old 05-23-03, 08:28 PM
Banned

I just got back from the movie, and I enjoyed this whole movie a lot and I don't see how people can be dissapointed by it. This movie has a very entertaining story and very intense fight scenes. I think it was a good movie overall.

It just makes people look like a bunch of hypocrites to say that Keanu Reeves is a bad actor, yet, they end up going to see The Matrix anyways. The same goes for the people who really didn't want to see this movie but they just go there to bore themselves to death which is a waste of money. If it didn't look good to you, then why waste money to see it? Wait for rental, sheesh.

I knew it was going to be a really fun movie and I enjoyed it all the way through.
Old 05-23-03, 08:33 PM

Exactly, Rocky.

It seems a lot of people didn't like it, but are the peeps that just aren't into sci-fi or kung-fu. Of course they're not going to like it...

Hey tasha, I bet you wanna see Legally Blonde 2 huh? I bet you won't fall asleep in that one.
Old 05-23-03, 08:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BryanMedStudent

Hey tasha, I bet you wanna see Legally Blonde 2 huh? I bet you won't fall asleep in that one.

Yeah, people who pay money to get bored of watching an action movie is a total hypocrite.

If you don't enjoy a good action movie, then you must be into chick flicks.
Old 05-23-03, 08:46 PM

About character development - Some of you fail to see the difference in this movie. The main character is not Neo or Morpheus. It is the Matrix. Think about it.
Old 05-23-03, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Crack 6K
About character development - Some of you fail to see the difference in this movie. The main character is not Neo or Morpheus. It is the Matrix. Think about it.
IMO, it is not about the characters. Characterization is not important in movies.

It's all about a movie being very entertaining and fun.

I never judge movies by its characters.
Old 05-23-03, 09:02 PM

I don't judge movies that way either.... but I will admit that movies with heavy character development intrigue me more.

But the thing is, you shouldn't expect to see the second installment of a trilogy and expect heacy character development. That's the job of the first one.
Old 05-23-03, 09:05 PM
Banned

But the thing is, you shouldn't expect to see the second installment of a trilogy and expect heacy character development. That's the job of the first one.
That's the point of the whole damn trilogy, sheesh, the trilogy is obviously not even finished yet. d

The first one was the introduction to the story and the characters, the second one was getting very deep into the whole story, and third one will get more detailed into the story.

I don't see how people can bash a trilogy when it's not even finished yet. The same goes for the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars trilogies.
Old 05-23-03, 09:13 PM

It feels like you're arguing against me.... if so you are mistaken! I'm arguing FOR the movie and trilogy. If not... never mind

Anyways I prefer to look at a trilogy in this manner:

First is the introduction of the characters and story, usually with something big (yet small in the big picture) as an obstacle.

Second outlines the path of those characters to find the answers and usually is very confusing. Usually ends without anything achieved. In movies this installment usually has mostly pure action more than detailed storytelling.

Third movie is the answer. All plotholes are closed and usually leave you saying "oooohhhhhhhhhh....." and almost always makes the second installment better.
Old 05-23-03, 09:16 PM
Banned

First is the introduction of the characters and story, usually with something big (yet small in the big picture) as an obstacle.

Second outlines the path of those characters to find the answers and usually is very confusing. Usually ends without anything achieved. In movies this installment usually has mostly pure action more than detailed storytelling.

Third movie is the answer. All plotholes are closed and usually leave you saying "oooohhhhhhhhhh....." and almost always makes the second installment better.
That's exactly right. That is exactly why people shouldn't bash a continuing trilogy since the story is not even finished yet.

If you can't figure out the story to "Reloaded" and find it confusing, go figure, the third one didn't even come out yet, BINGO, there's your answer on why people find "Reloaded" confusing.
Old 05-23-03, 09:18 PM
Banned

And on a side note, I didn't find "Reloaded" confusing at all, I pretty much understand it all the way through, I don't want to reveal spoilers though for those who haven't seen it.
Old 05-23-03, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I deleted my post above since it seemed inflammatory enough that people had to criticize me and my movie taste because I didn't like this movie. Suffice it to say I didn't care for it, in spite of liking other scifi and action movies like The Matrix, Spiderman, Daredevil, X-men, Alien, Minority Report, Blade Runner and a zillion other movies.

I went completely expecting to love this, but didn't. Oh well--same thing happened with Phantom Menace.

tasha

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.