Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Would you Object to a Michael Bay style Sept 11 movie ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-03, 01:54 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You know how he perverts historical events
Old 05-13-03, 01:57 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, Armageddon was nothing like the actual events described in the Bible. Hack.
Old 05-13-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I object to anything with the words "A Film By Michael Bay"
Old 05-13-03, 03:32 AM

Well i personally think 9/11 is taken as a much bigger thing than it actually is...many people die from one incident in many countries the fact that it happened in america maked it big...even though i believe this i would want to see this event handled with care and quality film making for it was important because of its impact....i would really like to see a movie on the plane that the passengers fought back on
Old 05-13-03, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by funkymonk
Well i personally think 9/11 is taken as a much bigger thing than it actually is...many people die from one incident in many countries the fact that it happened in america maked it big...
Yeah, we should just get over it already. I mean, come on; 9/11 is sooo 2001.
Old 05-13-03, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On topic, I'm not the boycotting, protesting, objecting type, but I probably wouldn't go see a Michael Bay 9/11 movie. But then again, I loved The Towering Inferno and the Airport movies as a kid. Those were gripping, tense films - but they also weren't real (even though high rise fires and plane crashes do happen, the movies aren't based on any specific events, which removes the "too close to home" element). I guess if the material were treated with decency, and with good writing respective of the weight of such a project, I suppose it could end up actually being a tribute. Look at the film "Alive". As Funkymonk alluded to, it just depends on the approach.
Old 05-13-03, 04:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think its out of line to make such a film, just not anytime soon. There should be an obligatory 15-20 year minimum wait on turning any major tragedy into a movie. Pearl Harbor and Titanic were fine, but it would have been inappropriate and callous to make them on the heels of the actual event. Personally, I have a problem with a lot of those made-for-tv movies that capitalize on murders or disasters that get rushed out just weeks after the whole thing goes down. And Michael Bay would be a horrible choice to helm such a project, besides the fact that he is a total hack, he also has no tact whatsoever. If he's directing you might as well get Michael Moore to write the screenplay.
Old 05-13-03, 04:20 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Yeah, Armageddon was nothing like the actual events described in the Bible. Hack.

Yeah, I though The Rock was going to be an expose on the crack epidemic.
Old 05-13-03, 07:46 AM

Questions of taste aside: There are already several documentaries out there that are better than anything Bay could do. And the "effects" of the real thing far outstrip what Hollywood could achieve. So what's the point?

Not everything has to have a movie made about it.
Old 05-13-03, 07:57 AM

If Bay makes a 9/11 movie, I swear I will never watch another movie as long as I live, and will burn all my DVDs.

I'm serious.
Old 05-13-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll never get the backlash against Bay, all his films are popcorn films, big event action pieces, even Pearl Harbor, although lagging in the romance department had a truly epic, impressive attack sequence that pulled you into the film and I believe that this is what he does best, a main reason why I believe he went back into Bad Boys 2 to polish his action chops.
Old 05-13-03, 08:34 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Well i personally think 9/11 is taken as a much bigger thing than it actually is...many people die from one incident in many countries the fact that it happened in america maked it big...even though i believe this i would want to see this event handled with care and quality film making for it was important because of its impact....i would really like to see a movie on the plane that the passengers fought back on
Let's also not forget the third plane that flew into the Pentagon.
Old 05-13-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Flynn
You beat me to it.
Old 05-13-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by joliom
I don't think its out of line to make such a film, just not anytime soon. There should be an obligatory 15-20 year minimum wait on turning any major tragedy into a movie.
I don't think we live in this kind of society any more; I think our culture demands such immediacy, and so disdains propriety, that at best filmmakers will wait 2-3 years -- and then jump in with both feet.

Which brings up an interesting question: should a "disaster" film be made about 9/11? Personally, I think it should, simply because A) the images from the WTC are so fantastic, so incredible, that even something with a respectful, documentary-style timbre would become a major Hollywood blockbuster; B) the very act of displaying such a film will remind everyone of the horror of what occured.

Think about it: 7 million Jews, and millions of other human beings, died in the Holocaust. Was Speilberg wrong to make Schindlers List? No. Going further back, was the US Army wrong to release color film footage from the concentration camps within months of their liberation? I think not... the goal was the show the world what atrocities they had found, and to teach future generations the truth about a horrific point in our history.

There are already grade school kids with no memory of 9/11; in 15-20 years, they will be of voting age, and it all will seem like ancient history. Movies often times are the best way to get through to young people; how many people only know the history of the Titanic through the film of the same name? Or only know about the details of the JFK assassination from the Oliver Stone film? (God help us.)

Do I think they should pervert the story and have Michael Bey direct? Maybe get Arnold Schwarzenegger to play Todd Beamer and give him an AK-47 and some plastique? "EVERYBODY OUT! DIS PLANE IS GOING TO BLOW!"

Maybe not. But should they wait for two decades before making a film? I don't think so.
Old 05-13-03, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Flynn
i'll second that!
Old 05-13-03, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nope, let him do it. I'll go see it.
Old 05-13-03, 10:46 AM
Suspended

I love all of Michael Bay's stuff, even Pearl Harbor (but when I watch the DVD I skip ahead to just before the battle scenes ). Personally though, I don't feel 9/11 needs a movie at all. It's something still fresh in most people's minds and there are and will be enough documentarys and other stuff to keep it going for the people that want to see it. I think I read that there is a 9/11 movie coming out though called The Guys or something, about the firefighters and policemen that died.
Old 05-13-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Would you Object to a Michael Bay style Sept 11 movie ?

Originally posted by Original Desmond
You know how he perverts historical events
I have no problem about him (or anyone) making a film about anyone or anything, including 9/11. Any artists (and I know some cringe seeing Bay and artist in the same paragraph) should have free range to do what they want.

Of course, I'm not sure what he did so bad historical with Pearl Harbor (his other films aren't even relevant). Yeah the characters were fictious, And there are definite liberties taken. But almost all movies do that, as these aren't documentaries. But I believe the movie is more accurate then it is given credit for.

That being said, I don't know how viable a 9/11 movie would be. People know what happened. With the exhaustive news coverage and the recentness of the events, it may be a difficult sell. And I'm not sure how many people want "relive" the events. It does seem more like a made for TV movie where they do some story on a recent tragedy/event.
Old 05-13-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny you should mention that!

Here's an ep of Brian Lynch's MONKEY MAN.

And this is how he'd do PEANUTS, if you care.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 05-14-03 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-13-03, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,171 Likes on 1,222 Posts
....i would really like to see a movie on the plane that the passengers fought back on
Smells a little bit too much like A Perfect Storm to me. They would have to completely fabricate most of the script to do it I suspect.

As for a Bay 9/11 film, I would not object so long as Ben Affleck was in it.
Old 05-13-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
It's not time. Wait at least thirty years or so.
Old 05-13-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree that he should wait...

...until Chuck Norris has a chance to read the script.

That would kick *ass*
Old 05-13-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

2 words: Pearl Harbor
Old 05-13-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

assume everyone has already seen this?

http://www.killingmichaelbay.com
Old 05-13-03, 11:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
michael bay
mcG

oh, my head hurts.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.