Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Are there any good actresses?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Are there any good actresses?

Old 12-30-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the main thing here is that women just don't have as many great roles to play, especially when it comes to leading roles. If you look beyond the spectrum of bid bugdet films, it's possible to find many more great acting roles. But the film industry in general just does not have as many great roles for women.

Is that the industry's fault? It's hard to say. While it's true it's run by men, it's also (I believe this to be true) that quite frankly, women just don't drive box office as much as men can. Action, adventure, historical, epics, so on in general revolve around stories about men, and quite frankly as a reflection of society that's probably a more accurate representation of what society wants to see. That's not to say a certain amount of chauvanism isn't there...it definately is...but I also don't beleive at this time it is going to be able to be evened out, as audiences I imagine seem to be drawn moreso to male led films. Of course, I'm speaking in the broad spectrum, so of course that's not always the case.

Nonetheless...there are many many great actresses. You just really have to look a little harder, and a little away from the mainstream. And, nonetheless, a lot of our big male stars aren't really great actors either. I wouldn't be calling Harrison Ford, Will Smith, Bruce Willis, Vin Diesel, Arnold S., Sly Stallone, Keanu Reeves or a myriad of other male actors "great" by any stretch of the word, at least when it comes to being well rounded actors. Similar to Julia Roberts, they are popular for doing well with certain types of things. I enjoy the hell out of most in my list too, but truthfully many big stars on both sides aren't truely great thespians.
Old 12-30-04, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by B.A.
audrey - you left the great Maureen O'Hara off of your list. One of the most talented and beautiful redheads ever.
Big !!!

A great lady and a magnificent actor!!!
Old 12-30-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Talk about a bump. This thread is like a year and a half old.
Old 12-30-04, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 196 Likes on 161 Posts
After watching Spanglish this evening, I'll add Paz Vega to the list.
Old 12-30-04, 11:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Franka Potente is really good, even in some lame German movies. She's best known from the Bourne movies and Run Lola Run.

I really like Emily Watson. She's great in The Boxer, Metroland, Equilibrium, and a few more that slip my mind at the moment.

Honorable mentions:

Renee Zellwegger - she really is likeable!
Angelina Jolie - really emotional actress in certain roles. Super hot.
Rachel Leigh Cook - can be a little sparkplug, or angsty. Cute as a button.
Old 01-01-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tscott

Is that saying something about me? Perhaps. I've got almost every Julianne Moore film available on DVD (don't have Psycho(98) yet). Christina Ricci, Helena Bonham Carter, Juliette Binoche, Julia Stiles, Audrey Tautou, Audrey Hepburn, Ingrid Bergman, Franka Potente and the above mentioned Catherine Keener are a few other actress that'll make me seek out a little known title and give it a chance.

I agree 100 %

and I will toss in

Kate Winslet
Natalie Portman
Old 01-01-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great actresses seem to have trouble finding good scripts as they get older, unlike the men, obviously because the bulk of scripts written are focused around a male lead character, regardless of age. Give a great actress a good vehicle and you usually have an awesome movie. They tend to be far and few between and because of that it seems the good ones fade from the public eye much moreso than the men do.

As for the lists of utterly hot actresses you guys wouldn't sleep with......yeah, right.
Old 01-02-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
It's always sad to me that no one ever thinks of citing Maggie Smith as a great actress. She's won two Academy Awards and I have never seen a performance by any actor, male or female, better than Maggie Smith in The Prime Of Miss Jean Brodie.
Haven't seen the "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie", but I thought Maggie Smith was amazing in Gosford Park. I am glad someone mentioned her.
Old 01-03-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by whitetigeress
Natalie Portman
Especially her "whiny **** that needs to get slapped upside the head a few times" role in HEAT