Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can you get your wife/girlfriend, significant other to go to sci-fi/action movies?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Can you get your wife/girlfriend, significant other to go to sci-fi/action movies?

Old 05-01-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think my husband he should appreciate me. I don't drag him to romantic movies, but I love sci-fi/action probably more than he does. Already got my tickets for X2, about to purchase my Matrix tickets and have stood in line all day..on a workday to get SW:PM tickets (anxiously waiting for Hulk, LXG). Did I mention the Comicon is in two weeks?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone has problems getting their significant other to go see the latest sci-fi/action film? Ladies, speak up if you're the one who is dragging your boyfriend to see X2?
Old 05-01-03, 12:26 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm gonna say 210
Old 05-01-03, 01:34 PM

I can't get my wife to go to any movie period. She hates them. Thank God. I get to enjoy them in peace and quite....unless there are a bunch a gay twits sitting behind me (not that I hate gay people...they are like women and can't shut up), like I had at Identity.
Old 05-01-03, 02:05 PM

Well iggystar, I know I appreciate my wife! She loves sci-fi and action flicks.

Heck... when I met her, she owned more action flicks than I did! (Including several Ah-nuld movies...LOL)
Old 05-01-03, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't get my girlfriend to see action/sci-fi movies ....but...I have no problem watching romantic-girlie-comedies with her.

So she's always saying it's no fair that I like her movies.
Old 05-01-03, 02:35 PM

My wife will go with me to certain sc-fi/fantasy/action movies. She is going to see X2 with me as well as both Matrix's, Hulk, LXG, LOTR and probably Finding Nemo. She doesn't like all the movies I do but if she likes the topic or something then she will be the one to suggest that we get a sitter, most likely one of our Mothers, for our 9 month old daughter so we can go. This makes me very happy especially considering that when I met her she hated everything that I was into, Comics, Genre movies, Genre books, Prog Rock and Metal! Over the course of the nearly 7 years together, approaching 2 Married after 5 "dating" she has slowly acquired a taste for it...especially Harry Potter and X-Men!
Old 05-01-03, 03:02 PM

Location: Home of the 2006 Rose Bowl Winners and Future National Champion Ohio State Buckeyes!
My fiance is awesome... she is ALWAYS willing to see whatever I want. Every once and a while, I bite the bullet and take her to see something she wants to see. Most of the time, the movies she like, I could live without seeing. I feel like I've wasted two hours of my life watching some of the horrible mindless drivel that she likes, and I tell her so. Hey, I've had to be honest with her, right? But she takes the criticism like a champ, and has the right to like what she wants. But the fact that she is always let me pick the film is the best.

Now, if I could just get her to quit talking to me during the movies.... I'm going to resort to duct-tape soon.
Old 05-01-03, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Not a issue in my relationship..

In fact, she's turned me on to some Sci-Fi that I ignored..

[Farscape being the most prominent...and regrettable.]
Old 05-01-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My wife is the one who really wants to see X2, and wants to see matrix (as do I). She has no problems seeing typical action flicks. She doesn't like some of the war flicks I do though. (full metal jacket, apocalypse now etc).

Dave
Old 05-01-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
No problems with my girlfriend, although i must say i enjoy action/sci fi flicks far more then she does.
Old 05-01-03, 04:39 PM

I wanna meet a girl who digs sci-fi and action flicks. I would consider myself the luckiest man on earth.
Old 05-01-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I wanna meet a girl who digs sci-fi,action flicks and fisting. I would consider myself the luckiest man on earth.
Old 05-01-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My husband and I have almost completely similar tastes in movies, which is really nice. (Especially since he's happy to watch all the movies I review for DVDTalk with me, no matter what it is!)

For "new" movies, usually if one of us liked it or thinks it sounds good, the other one ends up liking it too. This doesn't always fall across "typical" male/female lines! We were both knocked out by The Matrix. I actually got my husband hooked on Star Trek: The Next Generation (he already liked science fiction), and I was the one who found out about Das Boot and decided to get it. He was the one who recommended Shakespeare in Love and Thelma & Louise (saw that last night, great movie).

For guys with girlfriends who aren't into movies... there is hope! My husband was actually the "movie nut" when we met, and I wasn't a big moviegoer. But with a bit of influence, my latent movie addiction was exposed, and flourished

This may not be true of all people, but one thing that I really enjoy about a movie is talking about it - sometimes during the movie (usually just to clarify a plot point) and definitely afterwards. It makes it a more fun and interactive experience - more of a shared experience and less "we sat in silence for two hours and then went home." If your significant other is not completely hooked on movies, this extra bit of interactivity could be what he/she is looking for.
Old 05-01-03, 05:38 PM

I can easily get her to go, but usually a trade that involves a curent romantic-comedy is involved. Only one she ever complained about after was Ep. 2. In fact she still likes to play the " well, you dragged me to ep 2" card now and again. Can't say I blame her though.
Old 05-01-03, 05:46 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
My wife likes action movies, a lot more than I do. She doesn't care much for sci-fi (e.g., she hasn't seen a Star Wars movie since the first one in '77) but I don't have to "drag" her to action or comedy movies, she has to drag me.
Old 05-01-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I love sci-fi movies and usually have to drag whichever guy I'm dating kicking and screaming to see them. I have this same issue getting some guys to go to baseball games - go figure. Action films usually aren't a problem. At some point I just say screw it, don't go, I'll go by myself. I've learned you see a lot more movies that way.

I'm seeing X2 with some friends of mine some of whom are bringing their significant others so everybody's happy. Now if only those Matrix tickets were available for the theater I want to see it in.
Old 05-01-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a trade off...I take her to see an action movie, I have to sit through another Reese Witherspoon snooze fest. Sometimes it's brutal.
Old 05-02-03, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No problem, as long as it is a good movie and is not to bloody.

She has seen Star Wars, Star Trek, Spiderman, X-men 1 and 2...and many more with me.
Old 05-02-03, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
My girlfriend's a star trek sci fi geek. I don't have that problem. A fun friday night is staying home and watch trek uncut Nope, no problem going to see sci fi/ action movies here.
Old 05-02-03, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

my girlfriend is just into it enough for it to not be a problem. she likes lots of the mainstream geeky sci-fi (star-wars being her favorite --she really likes the new ones too). So it was easy for me to turn her onto the comic book movies. I took her to see Xmen when it came out and she liked it so much that we see almost all of them (old and new). She really likes the first two Superman movies too.

Not a problem for me.