Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X2 Discussion (WITH SPOILERS! Yee-ha!)) [merged]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X2 Discussion (WITH SPOILERS! Yee-ha!)) [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-03, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X2 Discussion (WITH SPOILERS! Yee-ha!))

I'm not going to bog my post down with some review that dissects the movie because I'm not such a great writer on such a format. I did however think X2 was fantastic! I was pretty *eh* about the first X-Men film, considering it a good showcase for Wolverine's character but fairly light on plot. The sequel's got a much bigger feel to it. By far my favorite aspect it the fact that Wolverine actually uses those claws of his. It always annoyed me when PG-13 movies featured characters with swords, knives, guns etc. and never actually impale anyone, I.E. the 'Teenage Mutant Ninga Turtles.' Massive amounts of sword fighting/blocking and then... knock the guy out with a punch

Thank you, Brian Singer, for actually showing me that yes, Wolverine's claws are not just for intimidation and slicing guns in half. Definitely the most pleasing event film for me in a long time, comic-book based or not.
Old 04-30-03, 09:25 AM

The perfect X-Men film! Everything I wanted the first one to be and more! Loved seeing Jean tap into the phoenix force!
Old 04-30-03, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
What I want to know is how the hell did that cat lick Wolverine's claws and NOT end up with sliced up tongue????

Also, did Storm cool Jean's body on the plane in the movie? She did in the book
Old 04-30-03, 08:39 PM

When Wolvie retracts his claws you hear the cat cry out.
Old 05-02-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Saw X2 Last Night

Pretty cool flick. If you're a fan of the comic book, you will LOVE the movie. Alan Cummings (Nightcrawler) really steals thej show. More characters, more villains, some pretty good FX and some excellent fight scenes. (Deathstrike vs. Wolverine is pretty intense.)

If I had to nitpick... maybe the movie is a bit slow in some parts? If you don't know the comioc book, I'm not sure if you'll understand the ending, where...

Spoiler:
(Oh yeah, right, like I'm really going to friggin reveal the ending of the movie! Go buy a lousy ticket already.)

... but put it this way: the audience I saw the film with (a bunch of college-age proto-nerd MST3K wannabees) broke out into open cheering and applause at the end.

All told -- good film, fun film, lots of great performances -- maybe three, three and a half stars.
Old 05-02-03, 09:16 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
As a movie lover, I REALLY enjoyed it. The actors have really stepped up to the challenge of making these characters three dimensional. Particularly enjoyed Sir Ian as Magneto, Alan Cumming as Nightcrawler, and the suddenly omnipresent Brian Cox as Stryker. This flick made the first one seem like it was completely for the purpose of exposition, setting up the struggle. THIS is the real movie.

I thought the cinematography was nice (I love the cold look of the outside world contrasted with the warmth at Xavier's), the sound was inventive, and again, the performances above and beyond.

Now, as a lifelong X-Men geek: I @#$%ing LOOOOVED this movie! That's Nightcrawler running around and bamfing! I couldn't believe my eyes!!! If you're a longtime X-geek, I can't see how you'd possibly be disappointed.
Old 05-02-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by F For Fake
... the suddenly omnipresent Brian Cox as Stryker.
If you can find the british magazine Hotdog at your local classy-magazines place, there's a really good interview with him in it (it's the one with Neo's head on the cover, all black-and-white except for the logo in green). It goes on a bit about the myriad films he's appeared in lately, and some amusing anecdotes too.

He finds it odd that the three principal characters in X2 happen to be British stage veterans...
Old 05-02-03, 09:42 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DonnachaOne
If you can find the british magazine Hotdog at your local classy-magazines place, there's a really good interview with him in it (it's the one with Neo's head on the cover, all black-and-white except for the logo in green). It goes on a bit about the myriad films he's appeared in lately, and some amusing anecdotes too.

He finds it odd that the three principal characters in X2 happen to be British stage veterans...
I'm happy to see him so much!! Manhunter was one of my favorite movies when I was a teenager, but it seemed like I didn't see him a lot after that. Then suddenly I saw him again in "Rushmore", and now he's in every other movie I've seen. I LOOOVED him in "The 25th Hour". I think it's one of the best things he's done. Also really enjoyed him in X2, The Ring, etc
Old 05-02-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I just got back from it. I'd say this one was a little darker at points than the first one.
the opening with nightcrawler was awesome. cyclops' new visor was much better. the 'cameos' by some of the other mutants was also good.
and I guess logan was wrong about needing a few more years to get uniforms, rogue and iceman were both in the x-men suits at the end
as for the cat, it was probably licking the sides of the blades, and the nosie it made was probably more of shock than pain as the cat was fine a little later
Old 05-02-03, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really loved the movie... it had some great action. I only had a few minor minor complaints.

First, why didn't Iceman try and FREEZE the water to save the plane?? Couldn't he have gotten out of the plane, froze kind of an ice wall around the plane so the water would pass them by, or he could have froze all the water while it was still dammed... oh well... also, I was upset they killed of Deathstrike...I thought she ruled...other than that, I was very pleased.

MATT

p.s. I don't care if she's blue...If I was wolverine, I'd have banged Mystique's brains out anyhow....
Old 05-02-03, 03:19 PM
Banned

My only beef...all that impaling and no blood. I can believe a man can shoot ice through his hands, but all that slicing and dicing and not a drop of blood. Sorry, that's intolerable.
Old 05-02-03, 03:28 PM
Banned

I'm going to see this movie tomorrow night, I can't wait.

I'm glad Alan Cummings is finally getting the recognition he deserves, he's such an underrated actor.
Old 05-02-03, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah, he could have frozen into after jean made the shape needed to deflect it, although that was a lot of water moving with a lot of force, might have been too much to freeze
Old 05-02-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved it. It's an action-packed comic book come to life.

I do think it is enjoyed more with a knowledge of the comic. The ending was great. Can't wait for #3.
Old 05-02-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I also thought this movie was very good with a few minor problems. Much much better than the first one. I think part of the end will be lost on a number of people without knowledge of the comic, but I'm sure it will be explained in the next movie. I highly recommend this movie.
Old 05-02-03, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by mikehunt
yeah, he could have frozen into after jean made the shape needed to deflect it, although that was a lot of water moving with a lot of force, might have been too much to freeze
I would guess too much water at this young stage of his power development. Not sure why Jean had to get out of the plane to get it to fly and why it worked fine after it was in the air without her help. I felt the ending was a little forced in order to get the dark phoenix angle going. Still, this is something to look forward to in the next one.

I wish Storm would learn to fly. Again, I guess she is just early in her power development.

I thought the action was great though like the first one, I wish they would back off the camera a little bit instead of the claustrophobic views that they gave us. Still, much better from this standpoint compared to the first.

I was hoping in the end that when they talked to the president, they were going to show him evidence of a secret government program (sentinels) that were being built that needed to be destroyed. Looking forward to X3 if it continues to improve as much as this one did. Overall I loved this film and it is my favorite comic book movie (with the original barely in the top 5).
Old 05-02-03, 04:24 PM

Did anyone else notice Gambit's name (Remy Lebou - SP?) when Mystiques was going through the computer files? Also during one of the television interviews one of the panelists was Dr. Hank McCoy aka Beast.
Old 05-02-03, 04:40 PM

Much more action and (comic-book) brutality than the first, and suprisingly gives many answers to questions from X1. Thumbs up for me!

Also glad they fixed-up the X-Jet cockpit, I laugh everytime I watch X1 and see the computer Joystick I used to play X-wing!

Last edited by sho kosugi; 05-02-03 at 04:44 PM.
Old 05-02-03, 04:41 PM

In addition t the Beast and Gambit references, here were some I noticed:

-The kid with the lizard tongue at the beginning and end is named "Artie." Artie (along with Leech) were two Morlock children taken in by Generation X in the comic book.

-Jubilee again appeared in the movie with her hoop ear rings. This time I noticed she was even credited.

-The little red head girl with the sonic scream was an obvious nod to Siren.

-I believe I saw another X-Men character's real name in the computer with "Remy LeBeau".

Overall, I totally dug X2. Even though I am usually a calm, apathetic film snob most of the time, I actually cheered at every allusion to the Phoenix powers. I also thought that every character was dealt with well, aside from Cyclops who had little impact on the movie.
Old 05-02-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Does anyone know what music was playing during the opening with Nightcrawler? I have a feeling it isn't apart of John Ottman's score.
Old 05-02-03, 05:21 PM

I believe it's Mozart, but I'm not sure. (Wagner, perhaps? )
Old 05-02-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Definitely enjoyed X2 more than the first one. The Nightcrawler in the White House scene was dope.
Old 05-02-03, 05:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I liked this one alot more than the first.

Here's another reference:

When Mystique is looking for the cerebro file, there is a folder (I think, either that or a file) with the name Franklin Richards. He is the son of Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman.
Old 05-02-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fantastic movie! This film was a little darker than the first, and that was much appreciated.

The first five minutes did more for Nightcrawler than 25+ years of comics. And if not for another great Hugh Jackman performance (how long must we wait for a solo Wolverine movie??), Mystique would have stolen the show. My only minor quibble was the further emasculation of Cyclops - he was more whipped here than he is in the comics. I'm not asking him to be Wolverine, but at some point it would be nice if he was presented as the calm cool leader he usually is.

But again, I enjoyed this one much more than the first and can't wait to see it again.
Old 05-02-03, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always liked the X-Men, but have never been up on the mythology. Could someone please explain the Phoenix stuff?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.