Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

why is it opening on Thursday?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I know Wednesday and Friday are the norm for most, if not all movies. There have been a few that have opened on goofy days; Star Wars was the most recent to come to my mind. Why not bump it a day earlier to Wednesday?
Old 04-28-03, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe the prints wont be ready till wednesday?

Mainly I don't think they want to take away too much profit from the weekend box office as the Wednesday release is a bit to early and eats into the hot "Weekend box office take" while the thursday night sorts of helps weed out the hard core fans so that the general public will also enjoy it.

Not to mention it's not a holiday week is it?
Old 04-28-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton

Not to mention it's not a holiday week is it?
No. The holiday weekend isn't until the following weekend.
Old 04-29-03, 12:10 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: why is it opening on Thursday?

Originally posted by Deftones
Why not bump it a day earlier to Wednesday?
First showing is at 10:00 PM Wednesday May 14th. I already purchased my tickets.
Old 05-03-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I figured it was to weed out the hardcore fanboys. I personally would like to go see this movie on a Friday with my friends without sitting next to an ubernerd salivating at the cgi and previews.
Old 05-03-03, 09:36 PM
dgc

Originally posted by Brain Stew
I figured it was to weed out the hardcore fanboys. I personally would like to go see this movie on a Friday with my friends without sitting next to an ubernerd salivating at the cgi and previews.
I'll take sitting next to a ubernerd who's really into the flick over a loud mouth, cell phone ringing, chair kicking, jubee throwing biatch any day.

dgc - hardcore fanboy ubernerd extroidinaire
Old 05-03-03, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by dgc
I'll take sitting next to a ubernerd who's really into the flick over a loud mouth, cell phone ringing, chair kicking, jubee throwing biatch any day.

dgc - hardcore fanboy ubernerd extroidinaire
or idiots who bring small children to a movie like X2 and they cry all the time

I hate theaters. i wish we could just buy the movie on opening day to watch it at home.

Thursday is nice since maybe the more casual fans will wait till friday letting me watch the movie on thursday with my fellow geeks
Old 05-05-03, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Or idiots who can't hold their liquor who pass out and start dropping beer bottles everywhere.
Old 05-05-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
WB exec: "We have to weed out those fanboys on Wednesday night and Thursday"

WB exec 2: "Definately...don't you hate how they spoil the movie for casual moviegoers"

WB exec: "Inconsiderate bastards! Not horsing around, paying attention, and creating a pleasant movie going experience. We cannot have that!"
Old 05-05-03, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs

same thing happened to me. and the 12 year old girl sitting two seats down from me, kept saying, "look dad this next scene is so cool" and proceeds to describe the scene before it happens. ruined half the d*mn movie for me b/c this was her third time seeing it in 2 days.

i will never understand why people have to talk during movies. it just baffles me. i dont remember stuff like this going on 10 years ago, but maybe i dont remember.
Old 05-05-03, 10:45 PM
dgc

Originally posted by clemente
WB exec: "We have to weed out those fanboys on Wednesday night and Thursday"

WB exec 2: "Definately...don't you hate how they spoil the movie for casual moviegoers"

WB exec: "Inconsiderate bastards! Not horsing around, paying attention, and creating a pleasant movie going experience. We cannot have that!"
My point exactly, however, there was an impromptu light saber duel during one of my seatings for the the opening weekend of SW AOTC. They were fanboy wanna beez... True fan boys only duel before the previews.
Old 05-06-03, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by dgc
My point exactly, however, there was an impromptu light saber duel during one of my seatings for the the opening weekend of SW AOTC. They were fanboy wanna beez... True fan boys only duel before the previews.
Puh-leez. Don't try and say that rabid fans are saintly beings here to show the rest of humanity how to behave. I will agree that a fun atmosphere can be acheived with a fanatic audience, but it is not some sort of communion akin to the second coming of Jesus.

I used to go to the opening nights of Star Wars movies, but I have really become burnt out on the whole idea. I like to go to movies and try to enjoy the movie for what it is, however very often others in the theatre stop said enjoyment with their cell phones ringing, seat kicking, and stupid comments. All theatregoers are human, and therefore all theatregoers can exhibit poor behavior.

I will give you an example of one of the points when I realized the futility of fandom in the grand scale. When I went to see A New Hope:Special Editon, there were tons of guys in Star Wars shirts, carrying lightsabers and doing other stuff before the movie. The true irony of the event unfolded when Wedge Antilles (sp?) X-Wing was shot down. Everyone in the theatre erupted into applause, not because they were pleased about what happened on the screen, but because they liked the special effects. The same thing that happens to groupies of rockstars, happened to fanboys right before my eyes. They were fans of the image, not the product. They had become shortsighted in their praise, and had lost their original enjoyment completely.

To wrap up my diatribe, I will try to see Matrix: Reloaded on Friday or maybe Saturday. Life is too short, I don't really see the point in fighting crowds just so I can sit next to a guy wearing a leather jacket and sunglasses claiming he's the one, looking like he ate all of the Oracle's cookies.
Old 05-06-03, 06:08 PM
dgc

Agreed, not all rabid fans have good manners but based on my experience a majority of them do behave during the movie.
Old 05-06-03, 10:22 PM

Brain Stew. Dgc and the others who agree'd with him (I being one) only said those thing because (I'm just guessing) they consider themselves fanboy ubernerds. Perhaps they make a habbit to go to midnight showings (as I have been recently) because they find it more enjoyable.

About your SWANH experience. I think that's generated uberUBER fanboygeeks. I mean the movie had already been out what 2 decades before the re-release? Those people already know what's going to happen and I think they were only going for the new efects, don't you think? Give us (ubernerds) some slack and don't generalize us. I think all we want is some respect.

Ever since Star Wars Episode II came out I have been going to midnight showings (X-men 2, LOTR: TTT. .) of big movies because frankly, I had the time of my life at the SWEPII premeir. Loud applause and high energy at the parts where there should be (instead of dead lazy silence, what people can't even raise a hand to clap?), and they were quite during the rest of the movie when you need to hear what was being said on screen. I have had great experiences at Midnight, and I will continue to do it. And I just don't like people saying anything like it's BAD or we show no respect.
Old 05-06-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Ah, right, I almost forgot my bad geek experience (though I've had all positive, save this one).

At the Two Towers opening night, the Tolkien geeks were out in full force. They had to applaud everytime something happened....the tree people show up, they clap, Aragon says something, they clap, you see some little insignificant fact from the book, they clap. I was a few seconds from kicking geek ass....but I had my little bro with me.
Old 05-07-03, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am definitely seeing this film with a packed theater full of nerds.

A film is always a better experience if you watch it with reverent fans.
Old 05-08-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I will admit, that it is unfair of me to create such a broad generalization of fans in general. I was obviously referring to the most obessed of obessed fans. I think high energy and strong interest can make a theatre experience a lot better. However, I also know that an experience like that of clemente's can ruin one very easily too. All I will say is that it is too much effort for me to go to midnight screenings anymore, I will just go to movies whenever. I actually plan on seeing X2 this Friday.
Old 05-12-03, 06:37 AM

Re: why is it opening on Thursday?

Originally posted by Deftones
I know Wednesday and Friday are the norm for most, if not all movies. There have been a few that have opened on goofy days; Star Wars was the most recent to come to my mind. Why not bump it a day earlier to Wednesday?
Here in Australia we get our movies normally released on Thursdays, but for this movie it's opening on a Friday(?!?). Why you may ask?... I work at a movie theatre Village Cinemas (of whom owners Village Roadshow co-produces The Matrix) and one of my managers explained that either Village/Warner insisted on doing the day-swap thingy for simultaneous worldwide release (to account for the time differences between Australia and US, I'm guessing)...
Old 05-13-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Thursday is nice since maybe the more casual fans will wait till friday letting me watch the movie on thursday with my fellow geeks
That's what I'm thinking/hoping! Thursday, 5:45 p.m., I am THERE.
Old 05-13-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Got my ticket for 10:01PM 5/14 yea baby.
Old 05-15-03, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Brain Stew
And I would like to go to a movie without someone talking and laughing during the movie, or checking their cell-phone every 10 minutes "<opens phone> Am I popular? Nope. <closes phone>"

Um by posting here, does that make you a drooling "ubernerd" or a normal guy?
Old 05-15-03, 11:55 AM
Banned

sigh...i wish they didn't do this though if they wanted to beat Spiderman's opening weekend record; by doing this they are essentially eliminating that possibility.
Old 05-16-03, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate theaters. i wish we could just buy the movie on opening day to watch it at home.
I took today off to see it early (10:30 a.m.!) figuring that I would be able to see it in peace. There were two crying babies in a group of about 40 people in the theatre.

I'm with you gcribbs....
Old 05-16-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
To answer Deftones thread question..

Cuz it was my birthday man.

I called up the W's and said "Dudes, you know what would be, like, the ultimate birthday present?" And they said "Monica already flew back to Italy..and she took her vinyl dress with her." So I said "*sigh* fine...open the flick on Thursday...what do I care.."