Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name a movie that almost ruined a good actor's career!!!

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-27-03, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Name at least 1 movie that you think almost ruined their careers.

My picks:

John Malkovich in "Knockaround Guys"

Jesus, wtf was that!!!! I just saw that movie last night from one of my DVD rentals. The movie "Knockaround Guys" was a horrible movie. Was John Malkovich high on drugs when he signed on to that role??? I do love Malkovich as an actor, don't get me wrong, this man can choose some really good roles, he can play anything that throws at him, but "Knockaround Guys" is a piece of trash. I was dissapointed by this movie. After I finished watching this movie, I said to myself, "Well, look like this movie will end his career"....

Sylvester Stallone "Eye See You" and "Avenging Angelo"

My #1 favorite actor who I have been worshipping ever since I was a kid. Every role he had done, he had never dissapointed me yet, but those two movies he did I listed above, were both straight to video releases. I had seen "Eye See You" and I did quite enjoy the movie but the reason I picked that movie in this topic was that, since these two movies are straight to video releases and since they failed to be released in theaters, these two movies hurt Sly's career pretty badly. Can you blame him for wanting to sign on to play the main villian in "Spy Kids 3-D" to help bring his career back to the top again? Sheesh....

Name yours.
Old 04-27-03, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One could say Elizabeth Berkley in "Show Girls," but I doubt she was ever that good to start with.
Old 04-27-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The title of the thread is "Name a movie that almost ruined a good actor's career" and then you name Sylvester Stallone and two recent movies, which is just wrong on so many levels. But since he's your favorite actor and I see your username and nickname, I'll be nice and just say that I respectfully disagree.

I'll choose Eddie Murphy and you can throw on any number of his recent bombs - "Pluto Nash", "Showtime", etc. One would assume that the box office poison he's been his career WOULD BE RUINED, but as long as he's still getting starring roles in stuff like "Haunted Mansion" and "Daddy Day Care" and getting paid billions to voice the donkey from "Shrek", I guess we can't offficially stick a fork in him just yet.
Old 04-27-03, 11:30 AM
Banned

I agree on Eddie Murphy, he had been choosing bad roles lately. It seems like he's only doing it for the money.
Old 04-27-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I forget the name of the movie but Cuba Gooding Jr. was just recently in it where he plays a gay man on a cruise ship,im not saying its going to ruin him but with projects like that it will in the future.
Old 04-27-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, well, this isn't the first horrible project Cuba has been attached to. If you ask me, I say he should just quit.

Then give his Oscar back.
Old 04-27-03, 12:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Yeah, because that movie with him and the Ice Cream truck was a MASTERPIECE.
Old 04-27-03, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Monica Bellucci took quite a risk with Irréversible. But thankfully enough people saw the brilliance of that movie and her incredibly brave performance.

I'm sure being in Caligula didn't help Peter O'Toole, Helen Mirren and Malcolm McDowell.

Also, Geena Davis' stock must have plummeted after CutThroat Island.
Old 04-27-03, 12:50 PM

Kevin Costner's career has gone steadily downhill since Waterworld. Although I liked 3000MTG and Thirteen Days alot.
Old 04-27-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kevin Costner and Waterworld came to mind right when I saw the thread title.
Old 04-27-03, 02:53 PM
Banned

What is wrong with "Waterworld"?

I find that a fun film.
Old 04-27-03, 03:22 PM

We're talking in Hollywood terms. The films' artistic merits (and Waterworld is by no means terrible IMO) are not under discussion, just what effect they had on actors' careers. Waterworld was a huge flop; never a good thing for a successful actor working in a town where one's value is measured by their most recent effort.
Old 04-27-03, 03:40 PM

John Travolta- BattleField Earth
Old 04-27-03, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I generally liked "Planet of the Apes" but I think it may have hurt Mark Wahlberg's career. Although it did pretty well at the box office, I think the sci-fi fans didn't care for it. So, I think that's the last you'll see Wahlberg as a leading man/action star. His career probably peaked with "Three Kings," "Boogie Nights" and "The Perfect Storm." He's had a bunch of stinkers in between those movies like "The Corruptor" and "The Big Hit."

I also feel that Will Smith is at a crossroads. Although "Men In Black" and "Independence Day" are Smith's biggest films, it may have hurt him in the long run. Considering Smith got an Oscar nomination for "Six Degrees of Separation" (if memory serves), he could have taken a higher road for an acting career. Instead, he chooses "Bad Boys" next. This establishes him as a street-wise smart talker. He plays similar characters in MIB and ID4. His actual good movies like "Enemy of the State" and "The Legend of Bagger Vance" go relatively unnoticed. And he did a stinker called "Wild Wild West." Although he was recognized for his acting in "Ali," the movie went virutally nowhere. And then what's supposed to be a gimme, MIB II doesn't live up to the hype. Now "Bad Boys II" is supposed to come out in Summer 2003. This isn't looking good. Then he's supposed to be in a Dreamworks SKG CG animation called "Sharkslayer" in 2004 (which is I guess Dreamworks' version of "Nemo). I guess the one bright spot is Smith's role in an upcoming movie called "I, Robot" with Alex Proyas as the director and the screenplay is written by Akiva Goldsmith.
Old 04-27-03, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by Rocky_Stallone
What is wrong with "Waterworld"?

I find that a fun film.
I didn't it was a bad movie. The problem is his selection of roles after Waterworld.
Old 04-27-03, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Jarofclay: Enemy of the State was a pretty successful movie that made over $100 million when it was released. But it was still too close to Smith's tough guy roles to be considered a great accomplishment.

I think that Arnold Schwarzenegger could have bounced back from the stinker that was Last Action Hero had he not chosen to go straight from True Lies to Junior. Honestly, he should be the last actor on earth to play a pregnant man. Heck, no actor looking to keep their dignity should take on such a role IMO.
After Junior he could have bounced back with Eraser, which was a solid film IMO, just lacked a little umph. What did he do? Made another crapfest with Jingle All the Way, then once he played Mr. Freeze, that was it for him IMO.

So, if I could pick one movie that started his downfall, I would say Junior is where Schwarzenegger screwed up.
Old 04-27-03, 07:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by LBPound
The title of the thread is "Name a movie that almost ruined a good actor's career" and then you name Sylvester Stallone and two recent movies, which is just wrong on so many levels.
Yeah what he said.

Robert DeNiro-Rocky and Bullwinkle. WTF!?
Old 04-27-03, 09:08 PM
Banned

Cris Tucker...Rush Hour franchise. He will forever be unfairly attached to this role and I doubt he will get work on any other project

Mike Myers...Austin Powers...see above
Old 04-28-03, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by isamu
Cris Tucker...Rush Hour franchise. He will forever be unfairly attached to this role and I doubt he will get work on any other project

Mike Myers...Austin Powers...see above
I dunno, i don't think Chris Tucker was ever a 'good actor' but i do agree, he'll always be known for the one liners shared with Jackie Chan.

Myers... i think he has enough creativity and ability for people to see him as many other things. Jim Carrey will probably always be known for Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber, but he's still perfectly believable in other roles (Truman Show, Man on the Moon)
Old 04-28-03, 08:19 AM

Someone mentioned Mark Walberg. OK! Didn't think he had a great career going. Guess I should go to the Dollar theater more often.

I have to agree with Waterworld starting the tailspin for Kevin Costner. That was one of the most horrendous movies I ever watched. I actually went to Blockbuster and asked for a refund. They said no. I told them to put a warning label on the tape to attest for is suckdom!
Old 04-28-03, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Rick Shroeder - Silver Spoons... he was a budding star and had a promising film career ahead of him and then he does that silver spoons show and he can't shake the image... doomed for life.

Jon Cryer in Superman 4...
Old 04-28-03, 08:27 AM

Well, I guess i'll be the one to say it, though it kills me Jason Lee. The man is in trouble. His last movies have all been shockingA Guy Thing, Stealing Harvard, The Oh-So-Bad Dreamcatcher, these are not movies a man of his acting calibre should be doing...
Old 04-28-03, 08:28 AM

George Clooney was gonna leave the world of tv drama and go into the big world of the big screen. But then came "Batman and Robin".

And yeah! I think the whole purpose of this thread is kind of lost when you start by using Stallone as an example. When was he a good actor again? Might as well have tried with Steven Seagal or J-C Van Damme.
Old 04-28-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by jarofclay73
I also feel that Will Smith is at a crossroads. Although "Men In Black" and "Independence Day" are Smith's biggest films, it may have hurt him in the long run. Considering Smith got an Oscar nomination for "Six Degrees of Separation" (if memory serves), he could have taken a higher road for an acting career.
Actually, Stockard Channing got the Oscar-nomination for Six Degrees of Separation, although Will Smith got great praise from the critics for his abilities in the film.

Smith received his first (and only, to date) Oscar-nomination for 2001's Ali.
Old 04-28-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by BBEANLPHIE
John Travolta- BattleField Earth
He ruined his career earlier than that: "Staying Alive" which could quite possible be the worst movie I've seen.

Jason Schwartzenbaum springs to mind with "Slackers", wtf was he thinking?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.