Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Katrina del Marīs GANG GIRLS 2000

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-25-03, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GANG GIRLS 2000 (video)

Oh my god, now here's something wacked that made it into our hands. An approx 30 minute long short flick about 4 girl gangs in NYC whose life is not controlled by men, but by the 'business' they have with each other. In line with their male predecessors conflicts focus on tattoos, flashy cars, beefed up bikes or trespassing. In other words (and valid for plenty of situations): mirror mirror on the wall, who's the coolest cat of'em all. And if the answer goes something like 'oh queen o' bitches you're the toughest' there's always a 'but the competition walking your hood is even worse' - and that's when the fun ends.

Knifes and bats are drawn to culminate in the final rumble of the titanium girls. The reasons why the final battle transforms from a brawl to a lesbian licking orgy is unclear and may only be known by script writer, producer and director Katrina Del Mar herself. It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense. At least so I thought until I contacted her, but more on that later... Gang Girls 2000 is more about powerful images than a coherent plot.

Taking up influences from classic silent movies the dialogues are sparse and act only as voice overs. The story line is kept up by the narratress, who - alternating with lengthy soundtrack parts - manages a diverting half hour. And especially the soundtrack exhibits some fine choices by Katrina Del Mar, as the not-100%-perfected Super 8 photography is slightly in demand of the support by the likes of Fugazi, the Lunachicks or the Geraldine Fibbers.

[img] http://www.katrinadelmar.com/blades.jpg[/img]

Then again some scenes are very convincing in their style, atmosphere, and expression. With the artist's still photography being much more effective the pics in the movie seem brittle and expandable.

But combined with the musical backup this arguments loses grip, as the movie's atmosphere is heavily based on the backs of the aforementioned bands. Summarising it's a respectable, interesting, fascinating, properly styled and cool-as-**** contribution to underground film culture, which should rather be screened at respective festivals or in scummy bars than in the inhospitable world of home- or program-cinemas. If anybody would like to view this on their next 'babes & bitches' theme night the address is listed below.

Beware! Because the price difference between the PAL version and the NTSC version is outright insane, one might better check the vcr setup for NTSC-compability before investing all that money into a PAL copy.

http://www.katrinadelmar.com

http://www.trust-zine.de/head1.jpg[/img]

Last edited by davros; 04-25-03 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-25-03, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"The reasons why the final battle transforms from a brawl to a lesbian licking orgy is unclear"

i'm game.
Old 04-25-03, 04:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a shill? I don't know what it is.