Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

"The Real Cancun"?? You've gotta be kidding me...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 04-24-03, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't consider myself a bitter person by any means, but this looks like the most worthless cash-in attempt (on the God-awful "reality" show buzz) of all time.

Please don't go see this movie. We'll all be better off if it makes $0.00. Just imagine this: if it does well, we'll get sequels to that terrible-looking movie with the American Idol winner.....is that what you want??? SAVE US!
Old 04-24-03, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree that I hope this movie loses tons of money, but I think you are preaching to the choir here.

You would be better served going to the MTV boards or the AOL teen chat rooms and convincing them to skip it. I think that they fit the target audience much better than we do.

Also, unfortunately, I bet that there is at least 20 people that will have this in their "What dvd's are you buying the week of ____ " thread. The fact that people would spend their own money to actually own this movie eventually is even more inexplicable.
Old 04-24-03, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let's think about this logically.

It isn't going to lose money. How much did the movie cost to make? I don't have an exacty figure, but let's face it, the budget had to have been smaller than that of Jack-Ass ($5 million). Much smaller.

That being said, the movie also as an entire network to use as a billboard for advertising. So publicity probably isn't costing much either.

I doubt it would have to see a large box office return to make profit.

Anyway, I think this looks like trash, too.

I don't see what the allure of this film would be. It's obviously aimed at kids my age to watch young twenty-somethings get (semi?) naked.

Why not just watch Girls Gone Wild at home or something?
Old 04-24-03, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The major savings the studio(s) get from doing reality show is the lack of Writers and actors. that really cuts down the cost since really, you still need the rest of the crew to film this. Not to mention EXTRA camera crews to get every aspect of this. mainly it's still a win win situation for the studio. I'm sure it actually cost more to advertise for this film then anything else.

That said I will not watch this. Why you ask? Well it would be like me paying to watch someone's summer vaction on tape. Why the hell do I care about these losers and there quest to get some action in far off places that I can only dream of going after some serious saving in a 9-5 job? Not to mention the quality of the picture really should be kept on the small screen.

In all, I think reality TV hitting the big screen is a bad sign. The most important aspect of a film is the story.. and with these reality based series were the only real writing is story pushers who try to form a story from all this.. It's not a good sign and really just becomes a Girls gone wild you have to pay 10 bucks to see on a big screen. lame reality tv. don't worry, it will get old and fast.
Old 04-25-03, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Terrible. Terrible.
Old 04-25-03, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
There's a review of it up at Aint it Cool News. Basically... it looks pretty dissapointing if you go in expecting a T&A fest.
Old 04-25-03, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
I fear a new trend in theaters. First 20 minutes of trailers. Then another 15 minutes of product comercials. Now reality (no cost) movies.

How long before there are actual commercial breaks during movies?
Old 04-25-03, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like trailers
Old 04-25-03, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
Originally posted by fumanstan
There's a review of it up at Aint it Cool News. Basically... it looks pretty dissapointing if you go in expecting a T&A fest.
But what other reason could there possibly for wanting to see it?
Old 04-25-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The thing about this movie, and I may be wrong (it happened thrice before ), is that it looks like a SCRIPTED "realty" show-to-movie production! That's even more ridiculous!

I agree with a poster above, that it won't take much for this to turn a profit. I'm just hoping for maybe a 4-digit profit and nothing more.

When will MTV go away?
Old 04-25-03, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by Corvin
It isn't going to lose money. How much did the movie cost to make? I don't have an exacty figure, but let's face it, the budget had to have been smaller than that of Jack-Ass ($5 million). Much smaller.
I read somewhere that the movie cost $8 to $10 million to make. Because it cost so little $$$, the director said that he plans on spending $15 million on advertising, thereby assuming that the film will clear $25 at the least. This morning, on ABC news, a woman reviewing the film said that the producers are very lucky that no one in the film died from alcohol poisoning.

It will be interesting to see how much $$$ this makes, because if it comes anywhere close to the budget, several more copycats and sequels will be forthcoming.

And you just know that the ads the following week will all proclaim it "America's #1 comedy" or something like that. Just keep repeating to yourself: "1 more week 'til X2...1 more week 'til X2...1 more week 'til X2." T2, Matrix, Hulk, and Return/King can't get here fast enough. Hopefully all of the MTV-worshipping teenagers will be at this flick so I can go watch "Identity" in peace.

BTW, I also read that the release date for this film was moved up to beat the release date of another reality film called "The Quest" - about a bunch of guys taking a spring break trip or something with the ultimate goal of getting laid.
Old 04-25-03, 09:54 AM

Its sad but true that there will be an audience for this kind of film. According to the review I read, its for the young, curious, and horny (at heart). Plus six breasts.
Old 04-25-03, 11:25 AM
Banned

Originally posted by davejt1
This morning, on ABC news, a woman reviewing the film said that the producers are very lucky that no one in the film died from alcohol poisoning.
Number 1, that's the most pussi thing I've ever heard. They should hang out with my friends for a weekend.

Number 2, I've never done this before on this forum, but I'm gonna have to get mean. If any one of you sees this movie I'm never posting in one of your threads again. Don't come in here on Monday with BS excuses like "my friends wanted to see it" or "my girlfriend dragged me" NO! Absolutely not! It is officially Movie Forum sanctioned, you cannot and will not see this movie. Under any condition.
Old 04-25-03, 11:47 AM

Originally posted by davejt1

BTW, I also read that the release date for this film was moved up to beat the release date of another reality film called "The Quest" - about a bunch of guys taking a spring break trip or something with the ultimate goal of getting laid.
Wow, what a novel idea for a movie.
Old 04-25-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is one of those movies they probably play in hell to torture people with...
Old 04-25-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pants
Number 2, I've never done this before on this forum, but I'm gonna have to get mean. If any one of you sees this movie I'm never posting in one of your threads again. Don't come in here on Monday with BS excuses like "my friends wanted to see it" or "my girlfriend dragged me" NO! Absolutely not! It is officially Movie Forum sanctioned, you cannot and will not see this movie. Under any condition.
Well, now I'm definitely not watching it and I ain't letting the gf drag me to see it either

It looks lame to me and the audience will probably only be made of people thinking its a movie version of girls gone wild.
Old 04-25-03, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least it's not rated PG-13...
Old 04-25-03, 12:35 PM

Originally posted by tofu
Well, now I'm definitely not watching it and I ain't letting the gf drag me to see it either
Fortunately for me, my wife is not at all interested in seeing it.

When the commercial first aired, she thought it was once of those fake "reality" show commercials that Comedy Central has been airing for the past several days. It wasn't until they showed the rating that she realized it was a real movie!

I'm a lucky guy - she's also looking forward to seeing X2.
Old 04-25-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tofu

It looks lame to me and the audience will probably only be made of people thinking its a movie version of girls gone wild.
Don't hold your breath....."Girls Gone Wild - The Movie" is already in pre-production.

PATHETIC.
Old 04-25-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Toad
Don't hold your breath....."Girls Gone Wild - The Movie" is already in pre-production.

PATHETIC.
Are these movies up for Oscar? Documentary?
Old 04-25-03, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Rod Thorn
Are these movies up for Oscar? Documentary?
I bet they earn a Razzie or two!
Old 04-25-03, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
I'm really scared of what this movie may do to the future of films in America. If this even makes $20 mil over the long haul (international, dvd, etc), it means that it made back it's money and then some.

What's to stop studios from putting out really bad $2 mil movies that are guaranteed profit?

I shudder when I think how much worse American films can get.
Old 04-25-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by slop101

I shudder when I think how much worse American films can get.
If this makes money, I feel we will be one step closer to the Girls Gone Wild tapes turning into movies .....
Old 04-25-03, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
you people hate stuff like this and when something original and cool comes out like "THE FIFTH ELEMENT" people dis it and hate it.

The way I see it at some point everyone is just going to have to write and make their own movies at home. This way you'll never be disappointed
Old 04-25-03, 06:46 PM

As one of the biggest reality tv whores in the world even I wouldn't stoop so low as to pay one penny on this mess. I was totally pissed when they featured it as a trailer at the last movie I saw.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.