DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Most surprising ending for you (spoilers , duh) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/288249-most-surprising-ending-you-spoilers-duh.html)

Rypro 525 04-24-03 03:01 PM

Most surprising ending for you (spoilers , duh)

Empire strikes back, yes I know, I saw it first in 95, and was shocked at the ending, particualry because some how, I went all that time without knowing the ending.
The sixth sense.

fumanstan 04-24-03 04:44 PM

I don't think i've seen a movie where an ending has completely shocked me, although there have been many... "woah, what the..." times.

Usual Suspects of course... was a big "woah thats crazy"

Sixth Sense... i saw it quite awhile after it came out and all my friends said "no we cant tell you the ending" and when i finally saw it, it was pretty neat... "woah thats weird"

Buttmunker 04-24-03 04:51 PM

Pulp Fiction surprised me at the end - the way Vincent and Jules walked out of coffee shop, then *bam* written and directed by Quentin Tarantino...but wait, no, I was surprised before that - after we saw Jules and Vincent eating breakfast and heard/saw Ringo call out for coffee. At that point, I was like whoa.

Pants 04-24-03 04:58 PM

Any John Carpenter film

He likes to end his movies on a bang: Big Trouble in Little China, The Fog, Prince of Darkness (holy crap!)

Jackskeleton 04-24-03 05:33 PM

My suggestion for this thread so that no one would be afraid to come in this very wide open spoiler warning...

(____Name of the Movie______)

Spoiler:
. .
Place the Spoiler in the black area with a spoiler warning

. . .

this way folks will be able to come here and talk about a specific spoiler without being exposed to the hundred other spoilers they are not sure of..

Makes sense?

devilshalo 04-24-03 06:10 PM

I was surprised at To Live and Die in LA:

Spoiler:
By William Petersen's character Chance, getting killed. Up to that point, he was the main character in the film. Then he get's a shotgun blast to the head and the movie still has 20 more minutes to go. :eek:

eedoon 04-24-03 08:08 PM

The Sixth Sense
Citizen Kane
The Usual Suspect
Das Boot

I didn't list The Empire Strikes Back in because some morons whispers me pretty much everything before I finally saw them. :mad:

davejt1 04-25-03 09:02 AM

The ending of Argento's "Tenebre" took me by surprise:

Spoiler:
The killer, having been caught, suddenly slashes his throat with a razor instead of being arrested. His secretary and the detective who caught him then leave the room, thinking he's dead.

However, knowing it was an Argento film, I should have known better, but instead, figured that this was the end of the film.

Then...

Spoiler:
The detective walks back into the room only to find the razor sitting on the ground - it's a trick, squirting fake blood and all. The killer suddenly attacks the detective from behind with an axe. As he falls, the detective knocks over a huge sculpture.

Hearing the ruckus, the secretary walks back in as the killer is leaving. As she opens the door, she accidentally impales the killer with the sculpture which was propped up against the door.

The final scene is classic Argento. The secretary, having just killed her boss by accident (after already coming to grips with the fact that she thought he was dead the first time), can't do anything else but stand in the pouring rain screaming her head off hysterically

A wonderful twist ending.

Venom 04-25-03 09:14 AM

The Sixth Sense

The Holy Mountain, would of if i didn't read some many spoiler reviews.

Usual Suspects, well not really a friend gave the ending away to be a jerk, however i thought he could of been lying about it anyway.

Buttmunker 04-25-03 09:42 AM

Se7en

Spoiler:
I didn't expect Brad Pitt to actually kill Kevin Spacey. I thought Morgan Freeman would have talked him out of it.

Thelma & Louise

Spoiler:
I didn't expect the duo to commit suicide. That I didn't see coming.

19K 04-25-03 09:50 AM

The Usual Suspects
Memento

Seantn 04-25-03 11:42 AM

Most recently, IDENTITY. Great ending.

Buttmunker 04-29-03 09:09 AM

Saving Private Ryan

I was surprised when
Spoiler:
Tom Hanks
died at the end. All through the movie, I thought the old man at the cemetery with his family was him. I never imagined it was
Spoiler:
Matt Damon's
character.

jfoobar 04-29-03 12:34 PM

Spellbinder, 1988 (Rich Rossovich, Kelly Preston, Tim Daly) was not the greatest film ever but it did have a great and unexpected ending.

Giles 04-29-03 01:54 PM

Dead or Alive (Miike): quite literally the end :eek:

Hiro11 04-29-03 01:57 PM

No Way Out has a great twist ending,
Spoiler:
when it's revealed that Costner is the Russian mole everyone's been looking for
even if it does reveal a few plot holes on close inspection.

Buttmunker 04-30-03 09:56 AM

Scream surprised me because
Spoiler:
I didn't expect there to be two killers
. That's why I really like the movie - they eliminated
Spoiler:
the supernatural aspect

bcd 05-01-03 01:31 AM

The Game was a big one for me. I love getting wrapped up in good movies and having them lead me in one direction, only to have that what the hell just happened feeling. Also The Usual Suspects and Memento

audrey 05-01-03 01:46 PM

Although I realize that the ending to <b>Limbo</b> is not to everyone’s taste, I found the final scene both refreshing and completely surprising.

Chad 05-13-03 12:23 AM

I thought the ending for Y Tu Mama Tambien was not so much surprising as it was depressing. For a movie that is so upbeat throughout most of the film, it was a little surprising to find out that:

Spoiler:
When Tenoch and Julio meet in the diner for the first time since the trip, Tenoch tells him that Luisa died of cancer 30 days after they returned home. Then the narrator goes on to say that it will be the last time Tenoch and Julio will ever see each other again.

atari2600 05-13-03 12:46 AM

sixth sense
unbreakable
usual suspects
memento

funkymonk 05-13-03 03:38 AM

Originally posted by Chad
I thought the ending for Y Tu Mama Tambien was not so much surprising as it was depressing. For a movie that is so upbeat throughout most of the film, it was a little surprising to find out that:

Spoiler:
When Tenoch and Julio meet in the diner for the first time since the trip, Tenoch tells him that Luisa died of cancer 30 days after they returned home. Then the narrator goes on to say that it will be the last time Tenoch and Julio will ever see each other again.

couldn't agree more...extremely depressing ending to a fantastic movie

joliom 05-13-03 03:49 AM

Sleepaway Camp

joliom 05-13-03 04:24 AM

For historical sake, I'll add Psycho also. That took a lot of people by surprise at the time.

dvdnation 05-13-03 04:36 AM

Presumed Innocent