Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

My anticipation for SW Ep III has just gone up several notches (spoiler-ish)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

My anticipation for SW Ep III has just gone up several notches (spoiler-ish)

Old 04-24-03, 04:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
the way he set it up was it should have been a mirror image to show that were Anakin failed to choose the right side, Luke did. He should have had both go through the same situations and choices. saying that, Empire is when Luke had to make that choice, Ep 2 should have been when Anakin made his choice.
One could read that Anakin makes his choice when he slaughters the Sandpeople, and his fate is then sealed when he recieves no penalty for having done it (in fact Padme is understanding of his morally relative/genocidal attitude).

In a world where you can do that and still bang the Hippie Peace-nik Senator, why be good and chaste and play second fiddle to Obi-Wan?
Old 04-24-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The fact that one could "read" into that scene as his point of no return down the path of darkness, makes it sound weaker then how luke's moment of choice happened. You have the biggest blackest mofo in the galaxy just having cut off your fap hand tell you his your father and give you the choice of joining him in the dark side or dead... compared to some bad actor crying about his mother giving into his hate. Man, I like the Original trilogy better. It seems Lucas has forgotten everything he learned about a Hero's myth.
Old 04-24-03, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Keep it up fur ball...
Old 04-24-03, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WA WA WA
Old 04-25-03, 10:45 AM
Banned

The fact that one could "read" into that scene as his point of no return down the path of darkness, makes it sound weaker then how luke's moment of choice happened. You have the biggest blackest mofo in the galaxy just having cut off your fap hand tell you his your father and give you the choice of joining him in the dark side or dead... compared to some bad actor crying about his mother giving into his hate. Man, I like the Original trilogy better. It seems Lucas has forgotten everything he learned about a Hero's myth.
So Jack, you complain that in order to mirror Empire, Anakin should have made his "choice" in Ep. 2 . Then I point out that he did make his choice in Ep. 2, so you come back with, "Okay he did make his choice but I didn't like how it was done."

It looks to me like you're criticizing Ep. 2 just for the sake of criticizing it.
Old 04-25-03, 11:16 AM
Banned

I agree, I think you made some other good points with your other posts. I'm starting to think Lucas didn't write the original trilogy. I don't see how he could of just abandoned or of forgotten the formula to the other films.
Old 04-25-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by Pants
So Jack, you complain that in order to mirror Empire, Anakin should have made his "choice" in Ep. 2 . Then I point out that he did make his choice in Ep. 2, so you come back with, "Okay he did make his choice but I didn't like how it was done."

It looks to me like you're criticizing Ep. 2 just for the sake of criticizing it.
No I'm criticizing that the way you stated he showed the choices anakin made is not as dramatic or equel to the way those choices were made to the "hero" in the original trilogy. Now if you want to say Obi is the main hero here and he was given a choice to turn bad, it as well did not have the same impact because we had no idea what dooku was trying to do. It didn't seem like he wanted to double cross the emperor and it didn't hold the same level of risk.

If you notice the original trilogy, it goes as follows:

First film = hero discovers powers and takes steps to going on the hero quest

Second film = the point of no return, continues his training and is tempted, walks away with the right choice done

Third = Hero is now a master of his own domain and comes back to destroy the evil and save the enemy.

Now to mirror that we have in the prequels:

First Film = Anakin is found and his powers are discovered and it takes the whole movie in order for anakin to get started on his quest to be a jedi (I felt they started anakin's story should have started later on in his young life)

Second film = The turning point. Were luke passed and choose the right side of the force, anakin should have choosen the dark side WITH the help of the main protagaonist. He just killed some sand people.. I mean hell, Obi kills bar folks in ANH, killing a few is just the way it goes. even if it was giving into "hate", it still didn't make it as bad as it tried to be. And a happy ending in it with the wedding? I thought it was suppose to be dark and get darker. main reason why they should have started anakin's story later in his life simply because most of everything shown in Ep 2 could have been done in that one saving more room for his turn to the darkside.

Third film = Were the original trilogy has a happy ending, the prequels wants to end dark.. There is so many damn questions left open because of the first two prequels that it will be hard to squeeze all the answers in the third:
Who's anakin's father?
Who is Palp?
Whats dooku wanting?
Clone wars aftermath?
Qui-gon's voice?
Spirits of jedi's?
etc. etc.

It looks exactly like Lucas wants to mirror the original trilogy, yet he isn't doing it right and leaving a lot of it lacking that extra push in order to make it truely look good and be a mirror image of Luke and Anakin showing how Anakin choosed the different path of it all.
Old 04-25-03, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bet Chewie will face C3po in a game of chess and get his arms ripped off after he wins.. sure their memory was erased so the comment about wookies losing in ANH will be 10x's funnier!! Oh man, I can't wait!
How funny would that be!!?!?!? Oh man I hope Lucas does that!
Old 04-25-03, 06:28 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Remember in the re-release of ANH when Boba Fett gets that tiny cameo, which wasn't significant plot-wise, but only a little nod to the fans? I'm hoping it'll be more like that.
I guess it'd be kinda like Jabba's appearance in TPM, too.
Old 04-25-03, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

C'mon Guys! Can't you see this is the plot twist we have been waiting for?!

Darth Sidious, feeling that he finally has complete power over the galaxy, picks Jar Jar Binks to be his Sith apprentice knowing full well that Binks is so moronic he will never have to worry about being overthrown. However Chewy comes into play, somehow killing Sith Lord Jar Jar Binks. This is the first plot twist. Palpatine is ticked off and has to settle for his next best choice, a broken and bloody Anakin Skywalker. However, Palpatine now decides he must get revenge on Chewy. This is the second plot twist. We now now that the entire point of the OT was killing Chewy .....

This perfectly explains
1. Bink's disapearance from the OT
2. Why Chewy probably owes Han a life debt. He saved him somewhere down the line.

ok ok ... I'm kidding

In all probability, I have a feeling Ben knew Chewy ahead of time
Old 04-25-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally posted by DarthMaul420

In all probability, I have a feeling Ben knew Chewy ahead of time
Same here! I hope to see a surprise appearance by the Falcon as well. If not that, I want to see Chewy beat the leaving crap out of Jar Jar Binks.
Old 04-25-03, 07:17 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
If not that, I want to see Chewy beat the leaving crap out of Jar Jar Binks.
Same here. Star Wars movies aren't big enough to handle more than one "token alien" at a time.
Old 04-25-03, 08:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Typical Star Wars thread.
Old 04-25-03, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,834 Likes on 1,945 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Same here! I hope to see a surprise appearance by the Falcon as well. If not that, I want to see Chewy beat the leaving crap out of Jar Jar Binks.
Maybe Chewie will maul him. Just start biting him, clawing him, and tearing him up.

Oooh! Meesa insa trubba now! OW! Thassa a hurdas meesa! OW!
Old 04-26-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Well..

I didnt wanna respond to this thread but, I just felt I had to.

I dont know what it is, but I dont feel the need to complain or overly critique the prequel trilogy. I know that sounds very fan-boy-ish, but I do see the "problems" that many discuss about the new films, but at the same time I overlook them because it (IMO) compliments the original trilogy. I grew up watching the OT, and when I could Id sit and watch each film back to back to back. When the SEs came out I wasnt sure how to feel, but once I saw them I was pleased. Granted not everyone can be that accepting, and not everyone can over look "flaws" when it comes to something that has been a part of their childhood and thats fine. I think the biggest problem here is that a lot of people were expecting too much. I didnt go into Episode II expecting Empire, I went in there expecting a Star Wars movie, and thats exactly what I got. I dont feel the need to be overly critical because I cant do any better, and because I like losing myself in these movies.

Its cool that not everyone feels the same, but I just hope that some people can look past these "flaws" and just enjoy the movie.
Old 04-26-03, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Pants

Come now pants, you know my style of posting in Star wars threads. I take lucas' side whenever possible. To say Anakin made his choice in Ep 2 is like saying Leia made her choice on who she was going to be with at the beginning of empire when she kisses luke.
Old 04-26-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,904 Likes on 1,168 Posts
Not a Wookie fan.
Old 04-26-03, 10:42 PM

This is how it always ends up. Wasn't the topic. . Chewbacca?

I 1) didn't like Episode 1 2) liked 2 very much. 3) RRRaawwwrrwrwrrlrlarararar awawawawaw RRRLLLGHH!!
Old 04-27-03, 12:32 PM

And a happy ending in it with the wedding? I thought it was suppose to be dark and get darker.
That's funny; I found the ending incredibly dark. By marrying Padme Anakin not only legitimized his ideology and future actions, he also potentially led Padme on the path to the dark side. Imagine how interesting it would be if Padme herself turned for the sake of love and "family". Thematically this would tie in with the bonds that influence the decisions made by members of the Skywalker family in the original trilogy.

Also, wouldn't it be rather boring if Episodes I-III mirrored the structures of episodes IV-VI precisely? The main difference between the "turning points" of Luke and Anakin's characters is that in Empire Luke had to face the inevitable whereas in Ep II Anakin just snaps; it's a completely uncontrolled, irrational occurrence. Luke finds his place but Anakin loses himself. Luke makes a decision but Anakin doesn't even consider the alternatives. Perhaps, in Star Wars mythology, this is the clearest possible indication that in the final confrontation in Empire Luke is a true jedi whereas in that of Ep II Anakin is not. For this reason the characters' "tests of willpower" are by necessity different in scale: small and intentionally low-key (and thereby all the more tragic) for Anakin, grandiose and epic for Luke.

Last edited by Tyler_Durden; 04-27-03 at 12:35 PM.
Old 04-27-03, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jeffkjoe
I see your points, but I think Lucas keeps on introducing old characters in the prequels when he doesn't need to!
Well, Lucas didn't need to make the prequels but he is doing that as well. At least he's consistent.

Like Boba Fett's backstory? That was best left to our imagination!!
Actually, I always hated that EU Jaster Mareel crap. At least now we know why Boba sucked so bad in ROTJ. And Boba isn't as smart as we thought for seeing through Han's "stuck to the side of the Star Destroyer" trick.

And C3PO's maker? Unnecessary plot element.
Actually, I like the irony in this--the droid that Anakin made eventually leads to his downfall in the OT.

Lucas should stop trying so hard to add MORE old characters to the prequel. I mean, doesn't he have enough meat to work with in EPISODE III??
Well, somehow Episode III is going to have to somewhat jive with Episode IV. So, you're going to get more recognizable characters the closer you get to Episode III.
Old 04-27-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The way he set it up was it should have been a mirror image to show that were Anakin failed to choose the right side, Luke did. He should have had both go through the same situations and choices. saying that, Empire is when Luke had to make that choice, Ep 2 should have been when Anakin made his choice.
Don't forget that Luke had a choice to make in ROTJ, as well as ESB. In ROTJ, he could have killed Vader and he would have been on the same path to the Dark Side as his father. I'm sure Anakin will have his choice in Ep III as well.

Lucas also paralleled Anakin's loss of innocence (as well as his hand) in Ep II with Luke loss of innocence (hand too) in ESB. Notice that Anakin loses his right hand (in fact, the hand he will again lose in ROTJ) and Luke loses his left hand.
Old 04-27-03, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by lesterlong
I agree, I think you made some other good points with your other posts. I'm starting to think Lucas didn't write the original trilogy. I don't see how he could of just abandoned or of forgotten the formula to the other films.
Actually, Lucas still DOES use some "formula" from the OT like Naboo Fighters vs. Droid Control Ship paralleling Rebellion X/Y-Wings vs. Death Star. Does a lightsaber battle at the end of every movie. Hero's hand gets cut off. Limbs and heads get chopped off...etc...etc...
Old 04-27-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
That's funny; I found the ending incredibly dark. By marrying Padme Anakin not only legitimized his ideology and future actions, he also potentially led Padme on the path to the dark side. Imagine how interesting it would be if Padme herself turned for the sake of love and "family". Thematically this would tie in with the bonds that influence the decisions made by members of the Skywalker family in the original trilogy.
Actually, I found the wedding to be bittersweet and dark because:

1) The wedding itself will lead to Anakin turning to the Dark Side
2) The wedding will also spawn Luke and Leia which will eventually redeem Anakin.

I never thought Padme would ever turn since she will probably have a hand in creating the start of the Rebellion with Bail Organa.

Also, wouldn't it be rather boring if Episodes I-III mirrored the structures of episodes IV-VI precisely?
Exactly. Maybe it seems that Lucas is doing such a bad job at mirroring the OT is because....he's not mirroring the OT! I notice Lucas chooses ELEMENTS to mirror the OT. But he is not mirroring the plot structure of the OT.
Old 04-28-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just read that the only new change Lucas is going to make to the original Trilogy is to CGI in “knowing winks” between characters who previously met in the prequels.
Old 04-28-03, 01:40 PM
Cool New Member

First post: I knew there was more to Chewie than meets the eye. If he is to open up a can of whoop A$$ on Jar Jar then I'm all for it, but anything else may prove to be point less.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.