Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Will this movie be as good as the first?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Will The Matrix Reloaded be as good as the first?
Yes
75.81%
No
20.97%
Only if Twikoff is one of the ghosts
3.23%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-03, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pleasantly surprised when I roriginally saw the Matrix and I love the style of the film. Will The Matrix Reloaded be a disappointment as compared to the first?
Old 04-22-03, 10:39 PM
Banned

Location: John "57 Varieties" Kerry represents me in the US Senate.
My totally baseless impulse was to vote "Yes." So I did.
Old 04-22-03, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 157 Posts
From what I have seen, the first Matrix was the tip of the iceberg in terms of the whole story the Wachowskis have in mind. I expect the sequels will be better.
Old 04-22-03, 10:57 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've seen nothing to make me remotely have any reason to think the sequels won't be better than the original.
Old 04-23-03, 03:39 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

i read a little something by JonBlaze, and on paper, I think the first one made a better story -- try to remember your initial viewing, some of the big "reveals" were pretty astonishing the first time thru. on the other hand, reloaded promises to be an insanely overwelming visual experience so... yes and no!
Old 04-23-03, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

*votes yes*
Old 04-23-03, 09:51 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm confident that it will be better than the first.
Old 04-23-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I think it will completely blow me away - in a good way, of course. Yes, they will be better.
Old 04-23-03, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
The track record for sequels isn't that good, so I am compelled to vote 'no' and I hope I'm wrong.
Old 04-23-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's something I've thought about.

While I though the premise for the original was good and the trailer completely sold me on the first, well the film plain kicked my ass when I saw it. I don't remember being ready to see something that good when I walked into the screening.

I've seen the original so many times and I love it so dearly that I hope this one is better, but the maybe it fails to live up to the expectations that the first one built. I hope it blows them away.
Old 04-24-03, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
i have no idea. I think it will either really blow everyone away or totally suck as is the usual case with sequals ie T2 and MiB 2
Old 04-24-03, 10:03 AM

There's a difference between the The Matrix and other "Sequels".

It's not a sequel but rather the next chapter in a Trilogy that was planned as a Trilogy from the start.

Terminator 2, MiB2 and other Sequels spawned from the success of the original show. This basically means the studio had to create a new story from scratch.

The Animatrix shows that the Wachowski Bros have been thing beyond just the Movie. They have become somewhat Tolkienesque in their description of the events leading up to the Matrix series. This though should make the series cohesive and fluid.

I have no doubts the movie will be better.
Old 04-24-03, 09:40 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Since the "goodness" of the first was based on the good FX and not the utterly lame story, and that the special effects in this one will be even more impressive, I think the second one will be more gooder.
Old 04-25-03, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Since the "goodness" of the first was based on the good FX and not the utterly lame story, and that the special effects in this one will be even more impressive, I think the second one will be more gooder.
I've seen plenty of movies with jaw dropping FX that completely lacked in the story department, as we all have, and let me tell you, the most innovative special effects can't save a movie that has a bad story. (feel free to start flaming the whipping boy of your choice)
Old 04-25-03, 10:20 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Well, I liked the Matrix for its FX, but thought the story was idiotic and the acting non-existant. I expect the next two to also have idiotic stories and non-existant acting, but I'll watch 'em for the cool effects. And I expect the effects to be even more cool this time.
Old 04-26-03, 01:16 PM

Originally posted by Darren Garrison
Well, I liked the Matrix for its FX, but thought the story was idiotic and the acting non-existant. I expect the next two to also have idiotic stories and non-existant acting, but I'll watch 'em for the cool effects. And I expect the effects to be even more cool this time.
The reason why I disagree with you is simply because the Wachowski Brothers are Avid readers with a pretty wide variety of subject ranging from Theology to Philosphy. If you are expecting everything to be laid out in front of your then you won't understand.

As for acting. The dialogue in the Matrix was MUCH better than any of the Star Wars movies. Lawrence Fishburne is great here and masks Reeve's problems here somewhat. The thing is the Matrix had to set the story up and therefore had to be slow in areas.

Think about this. What if you were told today that everything you believed in was false. How would you react? I'm almost betting that your Mother would only need tell you that you were Adopted to shake your world. Everything you had believe in previously (I have my Mothers eyes etc) would now be false.

I don't think the story is lame at all. You only know the sky is Blue because someone told you it was. The Matrix is more than just action or style. It's a melting pot that encompasses all. The Action lover can enjoy it ...the "Thinking Person" can enjoy it. That's why it was so successful.
Old 04-27-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Geofferson
I'm confident that it will be better than the first.
Same here.

Can't wait for this one...
Old 05-01-03, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 957 Likes on 664 Posts
I dunno.... The first was such an incredible concept, I don't know if this will have the same shock value as the first.

I know it will be the same action wise, indeed even better.

I voted no...
Old 05-02-03, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh I can't wait for these to come out. They look great. I think they'll make me enjoy the first one even more, which I like, but really needs more of the story...since really what is it but an introduction to a world and a hero? And my friend...well, her coworker has seen both of them (2 and 3) and while I suppose he wouldn't say anything about them, since like that's bad karma or something, he did say they were great and that the third one is quite different from the second. Gotta love that they seem to be keepin it interesting and unique. I was especially impressed with the effects cause...a lot of those shots are motion capture and I couldn't even tell...some I could, but a lot looked like wirework to me. Ergh...hate waiting...

Last edited by jaeufraser; 05-02-03 at 01:28 AM.